The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sheogorath Seeing The Future?

CodyFurlong
CodyFurlong
✭✭
So I was doing the Mage's Guild Quest last night, I had just completed the first part of it when you meet the Mad God for the first book. Talking to him, he mentions two events, that in the time line, haven't happened yet. How does he know of these two events? Can he see the future, or is it just a plot hole left by the makers?
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    either he is mentioning a different event, the throne of madness changes hands from era to era, or the daedric princes are beings not bound by time, and the changing of the throne happend for all time, not just the 3rd+era
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was doing the Mage's Guild Quest last night, I had just completed the first part of it when you meet the Mad God for the first book. Talking to him, he mentions two events, that in the time line, haven't happened yet. How does he know of these two events? Can he see the future, or is it just a plot hole left by the makers?
    It was a long time ago that I did this quest; what does he say?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • CodyFurlong
    CodyFurlong
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    It was a long time ago that I did this quest; what does he say?

He mentions rebuilding the Staff Of Chaos, from the first Elder Scrolls Game, then rebuilding the Numedium, from the second Elder Scrolls game. Both of which haven't happened yet in ESO's time lime.
    You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • Alina_Scarbridge
    Alina_Scarbridge
    ✭✭✭
    He mentions rebuilding the Staff Of Chaos, from the first Elder Scrolls Game, then rebuilding the Numedium, from the second Elder Scrolls game. Both of which haven't happened yet in ESO's time lime.
    [/quote]

But has it happened in the time lemon?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    two things can be happening here:

1: both the staff and the Numidium are very old. Of the Numidium, we know it was rebuild several times allready. So it is very much possible that e.g. in the first era, the staff and the Numidium have been broken allready.

2: We know that the elder scrolls can tell the future, or atleast possible futures. The origin of the scrolls is unknown, but people call them the Aedric prophecy's for a reason.

""Imagine living beneath the waves with a strong-sighted blessing of most excellent fabric. Holding the fabric over your gills, you would begin to breathe-drink its warp and weft. Though the plantmatter fibers imbue your soul, the wretched plankton would pollute the cloth until it stank to heavens of prophecy. This is one manner in which the Scrolls first came to pass, but are we the sea, or the breather, or the fabric? Or are we the breath itself? Can we flow through the Scrolls as knowledge flows through, being the water, or are we the stuck morass of sea-filth that gathers on the edge?"

Reading this quote is very simular to reading bout Anu and Padomay and how they formed the Aurbis. Within the play of stasis and play that form the Aurbis, the past present and future coexist at the same time. The Aedra and Daedra are made directly from the Aurbis (where us Nirnians and all of Nirn are created by the Aedra). It is possible that therefor their connection to Anu and Padomay is more "pure" which gives them powers simular to that contained in the elder scrolls.

Either way. Just pick any of these two explainations ;)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe his Jyggalag is showing.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »

I think you wanted to be funny (and well done indeed),but you might also be on to something.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dyus
    Using the formulae once contained in the Great Library, Dyus can predict all events before they happen,
    When Jyggalag was cursed to take on the form of Sheogorath, he had the Great Library burned. The Madgod could not bring himself to destroy the knowledge which Dyus possessed, so instead he imprisoned him in the ruins of the Great Library, forbidding him to die.

So Sheogorath has a Librarian under his control that predicts the future. He has that since he was cursed in being Sheogorath, so he has access to knowledge bout the future in the timeframe of ESO.

PC player - EU
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

I think you wanted to be funny (and well done indeed),but you might also be on to something.

Using the formulae once contained in the Great Library, Dyus can predict all events before they happen,
    When Jyggalag was cursed to take on the form of Sheogorath, he had the Great Library burned. The Madgod could not bring himself to destroy the knowledge which Dyus possessed, so instead he imprisoned him in the ruins of the Great Library, forbidding him to die.

So Sheogorath has a Librarian under his control that predicts the future. He has that since he was cursed in being Sheogorath, so he has access to knowledge bout the future in the timeframe of ESO.

Yup.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

Yup.

Actually, that's exactly way I was going to reference if someone asked 'how so?'
    Edited by Shunravi on May 1, 2015 4:16PM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    one last note bout this one..
    I actually redid the acutal instance myself today. He is saying that what he wants us to do is not as difficult as say rebuilding the staff or the Numedium. He doesn't show knowledge it actually happened. He is mocking the process of doing so as really difficult and in his eyes impossible. He doesn't show any knowledge that in the future some hero actually does that.

PC player - EU