The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Buff/DeBuff Visual Clues

Jochamo
Jochamo
I am a returning player who is tanking for the first time. My question is do the major/minor buff/debuffs have visual clues (such as you would see on a stun or disorient)?

For example, I am using Ransack (Puncture morph from the 1HS line) which afflicts with Major Fracture on the enemy and places Minor Resolve on the character. Do either of these buffs/debuffs have visual clues?

Failing that, can you recommend an addon that will show the buff/debuff?

Thank you.
  • Desolationz
    I believe what your looking for is Srendarr's - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker, one of the best add ons for this purpose.

Foundry Tactical Combat is another add on that also shows buff and debuffs.

As a tank you do really need to see when your Taunts are about to run out.
    Edited by Desolationz on April 28, 2015 2:56PM
    Theodosius Alduin
    VR8 - Imperial - Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact - Stamina Based - Melee DPS/Tank - Male - Werewolf - PvE/PvP - Blacksmith & Carpenter
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, S'rendarr and FTC don't show the major or minor buffs. They do show skill buff/debuffs and the occasional passive proc. I do not know of any addon currently that includes the major/minor buffs.

Edit: it would be super cool if an addon developer took it upon thereselves to create one ;)
    Edited by Cuyler on April 28, 2015 3:08PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major Fracture is shown on the enemy HP bar through a "cracked" look and very easy to track without any addons.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one reason allowing add-ons are a bad idea. They encourage developers to neglect convenient gameplay features that would improve the quality of their game.

To answer the OP: no, the game does not have visual clues to symbolize a lot of the different enhancements and or enfeebles. It would be nice if it did though. Just a list of small easy to identify icons would do the trick. Hopefully one day they'll get around to improving this.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 28, 2015 3:21PM
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zargorius wrote: »
    Major Fracture is shown on the enemy HP bar through a "cracked" look and very easy to track without any addons.

that cue is applied by any type of mitigation reducing debuff so you cant differ between major/minor breach or fraction.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Desolationz
    Cuyler wrote: »
    Actually, S'rendarr and FTC don't show the major or minor buffs. They do show skill buff/debuffs and the occasional passive proc. I do not know of any addon currently that includes the major/minor buffs.

Edit: it would be super cool if an addon developer took it upon thereselves to create one ;)

The major and minor buffs have the same duration as the skill buff/debuff anyway so it's essentially the same thing. Srendarr actually shows me my Major Brutality buff when I use Momentum for example.

When you Ransack someone Srendarr will show you the amount of time left before Ransack runs out. During that time the debuff is active on the enemy and you should know that Major Fracture is affecting the enemy and that Minor Resolve is increasing your armour.
    Theodosius Alduin
    VR8 - Imperial - Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact - Stamina Based - Melee DPS/Tank - Male - Werewolf - PvE/PvP - Blacksmith & Carpenter
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The major and minor buffs have the same duration as the skill buff/debuff anyway so it's essentially the same thing. Srendarr actually shows me my Major Brutality buff when I use Momentum for example.

When you Ransack someone Srendarr will show you the amount of time left before Ransack runs out. During that time the debuff is active on the enemy and you should know that Major Fracture is affecting the enemy and that Minor Resolve is increasing your armour.

Correct. I thought it was obvious but thank you for clarifying....the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't specifically tell you "major breach" or "minor prophecy" in the HUD icon and that you need to know your skills like the back of your hand in order to be aware which skills are adding which major/minor buff.

It would be nice if the addon specifically showed an icon for each Major/minor buff for those who don't feel like or have the time to study and memorize each skills applicable major/minor buff :p

This would also help in large groups to determine if another group member has already provided a major/minor debuff to a boss for instance therefore saving your time applying said buff when not necessary.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 28, 2015 4:17PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Desolationz

Correct. I thought it was obvious but thank you for clarifying....the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't specifically tell you "major breach" or "minor prophecy" in the HUD icon and that you need to know your skills like the back of your hand in order to be aware which skills are adding which major/minor buff.

It would be nice if the addon specifically showed an icon for each Major/minor buff for those who don't feel like or have the time to study and memorize each skills applicable major/minor buff :p

This would also help in large groups to determine if another group member has already provided a major/minor debuff to a boss for instance therefore saving your time applying said buff when not necessary.

If anyone creates such an OP add on I would download it asap. :)

Sounds like it would be hard to code.
    Theodosius Alduin
  • Jochamo
    Jochamo
    Thank you all for your answers.
  • jerzey_gamer
    Lui Extended works quite well and also has quite a few other useful UI elements.
    Edited by jerzey_gamer on April 29, 2015 8:56PM
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
    Gawjo - VR15 Nord DK DPS [US] | 50 Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Provisioning
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no it only indicates the duration of the hot.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Locke_ESO
    Locke_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This would be very helpful. For example with Entropy the ability duration is 14 seconds but the Major Sorcerery buff is 20 seconds.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Add-on developers would love to create addons that could better report buffs/debuffs on your character however they are prevented from doing so due to the hamfisted API lockdown that occurred days before official launch due to a vocal minority of selfish immersion fetishists that cried about addons (that they never had to use) and how it would ruin their immersion or make things unfair in PvP (that they were never going to step foot in).

A side effect of the API gimping was that the API no longer reports short term buffs and debuffs on your own character. Add-ons like Srendar and FTC can estimate these buffs to some extent but the process will never be as effective or accurate as it was.

ZOS has mentioned that they are open to re-visiting the API issue on several occasions. While we will probably never see a truly open API, I hope that they at least, at a minimum allow addons to see short term buffs/debuffs and the names of abilities used against you.

The "death recap" is not very helpful when it shows you the 3 attacks that killed you but not the 10 chain stuns that really killed you.