The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bosses, Monsters & Resistances (?)

Seth_Black
Seth_Black
✭✭✭
Hi.

I was wondering since there's no real info about it. If there's any resistance/susceptibility mechanics in ESO similar to TES games in place?
I'm not asking about obvious fire and poison for vampires/werewolfs.
Example questions:
1. I'm attacking a giant or mammoth, they take more damage from fire?
2. Is frost draining stamina in monsters same as in players?
3. Is shock burning magicka?
4. Flame atronachs take less damage from fire and more from shock? (since their attacks are magicka-based)
5. Valkyn Skoria has any fire resistance?
6. Serpent in sanctum has poison resistance?
7. What types of monsters are resistant to poison and disease?
8. There's every answer to my questions in in-game lorebooks? (just like in TES)

...any other examples of monsters/bosses resistant to any attacks/elements?
Post below :smile:
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭
    I've found some info about resistances from Oblivion
    Oblivion Creature Resistances
    Why no one can even confirm/deny if system like that exists in ESO? :confused:
    Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
    It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
  • Rair.Kitani
    Rair.Kitani
    ✭✭✭
    Seth_Black wrote: »
    2. Is frost draining stamina in monsters same as in players?
    No, frost damage would only come of an ice staff. It has a chance to snare both mobs and players
    3. Is shock burning magicka?
    No, similar as ice, with an lightning staff you have a chance to disorientate them
    Just answered where I was sure. If i had to guess, then i would say yes, mobs have resistances, but it only has an very small impact compared to the migitation they get from armor/spell restistance.

I wish it would have a far greater impact, like you're damage is cut by half when you attack a flame attronarch with flames
    Edited by Rair.Kitani on May 5, 2015 11:19AM
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭
    I know all the effects of elemental damage from skills and weapons.
    Problem is ...we don't know how elemental enchants affect monsters.
    We've got so far three main types of damage:
    1. Weapon
    2. Magic
    3. Elemental
    and champion system clearly gives us separate magic damage reduction, elemental resistances and magic resistances.
    For example in Skyrim you had a lot of lorebooks informing that for example Giants get more damage from fire
    There's a few more examples from Skyrim that I don't really know if work in here.
    Elemental weapon enchants (same as spells) were causing additional damage/effects:
    Frost slows, drains stamina, possible deep freeze
    Shock burns magicka, stun, disorientation, disintegration
    Fighting a giant with frost and fire was great causing more from fire damage and draining his stamina with frost resulted in less heavy attacks
    Fighting casters with shock was draining their magicka so they were switching fast to useless dagger :smile:
    In theory fire based monsters should take more damage from frost and shock damage should work good on casters.
    I'm testing fire/shock/frost this week on all types of atronachs to see if there's any difference at all in damage inflicted.
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭
    After all tests done I come to one conclusion...
    There's no difference in amount of damage done AT ALL.
    The only difference based on weapon type or enchant reflects on type of additional effect, duration of damage effects and way damage is inflicted.
    We're taking only heavy attacks under consideration here.
    Fire staff: full damage potential released after attack is charged, fire causing burning effect
    Frost staff: full damage potential released after attack is charged, frost causing slowing effect
    Shock staff: tick, tick, tick, boom :smile: constant damage of light attacks ending in small explosion
    End damage is still the same (tested on same targets) only burning effect is giving something more than standard.

Same goes for weapons enchanted with damage enchants, they can cause different effects only, different kill animation (disintegration etc) but damage is basically the same.

Most efficient way to keep steady and high damage is by using fire or poison enchants. DoT effects seems to work way better than anything else.

So... in the end it doesn't matter if you're fighting Flame Atronach with fire or Frost Atronach with fire they all take exactly the same amounts of damage and it's completely up to you how you want to inflict it.

A little bit disappointing for me, I was expecting some fun and exciting ways to fight all different monsters
    ...but maybe this will change at some point (fingers crossed) :wink: