The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you make money off of crafting?

Erock25
Erock25
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I am finally a full fledged crafter and can make just about everything outside of nirnhorned on all pieces. Full alchemist, enchanter, provisioner, woodworker, clothier, and blacksmith. Up to this point, I've been using most of my materials to advance my own crafting but now I want to try to make money. I am in various active trading guilds and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share how they make money through trade guilds with crafting? I have seen multiple claims of people making 100k a day easy and I just don't see how it is possible. Any tips or tricks? It honestly seems like selling raw materials is better money.
You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make items to be researched for traits, those sell on spec.

Otherwise, you have to take orders from people in Zone or Guild Chat. Be aware of the Temper Prices when quoting out improved items, those can really kill profits if you don't account for them and want to replace them. I usually find it to be a pain, as people seem to want each piece in a different racial style, some from this crafting station, some from that crafting station, traits all mixed up etc. Just once I would like someone to say, Make me these 5 pieces of Light Armor Seducer with the Infused traits in the Argonian Style. Never get those simple requests.

However, bottom line, your not going to make money crafting equipment, best you can do is break even on replacement costs for mats.

Alchemy, provisioning and enchanting are where you can can make money, but only if you farm your mats.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Otherwise, you have to take orders from people in Zone or Guild Chat. Be aware of the Temper Prices when quoting out improved items, those can really kill profits if you don't account for them and want to replace them. I usually find it to be a pain, as people seem to want each piece in a different racial style, some from this crafting station, some from that crafting station, traits all mixed up etc. Just once I would like someone to say, Make me these 5 pieces of Light Armor Seducer with the Infused traits in the Argonian Style. Never get those simple requests.

However, bottom line, your not going to make money crafting equipment, best you can do is break even on replacement costs for mats.

Alchemy, provisioning and enchanting are where you can can make money, but only if you farm your mats.

This is what I was worried of. It seems like people think you are charging ridiculous prices when you actually add up the cost of all of the mats that go into crafting armor/weapons. I guess I will try to make my money by enchanting/alch/prov. Guess I need to level up another enchanter or two so I can start collecting those Kutas.

I just don't understand how people claim to have millions of gold and that they make money so fast they don't know what to do with it. Does not compute.
    Edited by Erock25 on April 27, 2015 3:37PM
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    This is what I was worried of. It seems like people think you are charging ridiculous prices when you actually add up the cost of all of the mats that go into crafting armor/weapons. I guess I will try to make my money by enchanting/alch/prov. Guess I need to level up another enchanter or two so I can start collecting those Kutas.

eI just tell them to get my 14 Greens, 21 Blues and 28 Purples before I upgrade their armor for them. They figure out the prices pretty quick. Then I tell them 2/3/4 for each weapon, they figure that out real quick too.

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't understand how people claim to have millions of gold and that they make money so fast they don't know what to do with it. Does not compute.

And those are the idiots that are increasing the prices of the tempers they are selling. On one hand they say give me max dollar for this temper, and the other hand saying give me epic armor for little cost. Those that are selling tempers, tannens and resins at the high prices are the ones increasing all costs to the crafter. They can't quote a price on an improvement item without asking for a M.M. Price check and then want the highest value they get. They can't sell improvement items high and expect cheap armor and weapons.....
    Edited by Robbmrp on April 27, 2015 6:27PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am finally a full fledged crafter and can make just about everything outside of nirnhorned on all pieces. Full alchemist, enchanter, provisioner, woodworker, clothier, and blacksmith. Up to this point, I've been using most of my materials to advance my own crafting but now I want to try to make money. I am in various active trading guilds and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share how they make money through trade guilds with crafting? I have seen multiple claims of people making 100k a day easy and I just don't see how it is possible. Any tips or tricks? It honestly seems like selling raw materials is better money.

100k is possible per week if you are selling nirnhoned items with own nirncruxes. If you will buy nirncrux - your markup will be ~2k per or so. So crafting is just for your purposes mainly. You can sell something, but it is definitely not your main source of income...
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erock25 I sent you a message with some tips that can help.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have maxed all crafting (9 traits in everything) but the money I make linked to crafting is gathering raws resources and processing them and selling V10 purple drink/food and tri pots. Harvesting a nirncrux stone is easy cash and getting about 3 of them per hour.

Gathering rare resources and processing them is easy money and if that is all your did, 100k is doable but too boring.
    The best time to reward ratio at the moment is running vDSA and selling the drops.

Crafting armor/weapons.... not worth the time.
    Edited by Natjur on April 27, 2015 9:47PM
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for the comments. Great stuff.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    I have maxed all crafting (9 traits in everything) but the money I make linked to crafting is gathering raws resources and processing them and selling V10 purple drink/food and tri pots. Harvesting a nirncrux stone is easy cash and getting about 3 of them per hour.

Gathering rare resources and processing them is easy money and if that is all your did, 100k is doable but too boring.
    The best time to reward ratio at the moment is running vDSA and selling the drops.

Crafting armor/weapons.... not worth the time.

Pretty much the same story for me. I have lots of gold, but I rarely craft for anyone but myself. The gold is from selling mats, recipes, motifs, some armor sets, etc. Consumable crafts are the best chance at using your skills to make gold. Tri-pots are the best bet. I've found food and glyphs to be unpredictable.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Outside of selling nirn stuff or tripots, crafting isn't worth it ATM for making a lot of gold. It is better to spend your effort gathering mats and selling them directly. Particularly for enchanting. Enchanting is in a very strange place right now. Most people will whine if you try to charge them more than 5k for a legendary glyph, but kutas sell all day for 5-7k. It's better and easier to just sell your kuta.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of selling nirn stuff or tripots, crafting isn't worth it ATM for making a lot of gold. It is better to spend your effort gathering mats and selling them directly. Particularly for enchanting. Enchanting is in a very strange place right now. Most people will whine if you try to charge them more than 5k for a legendary glyph, but kutas sell all day for 5-7k. It's better and easier to just sell your kuta.
    Those who buy Kuta are V14's who have there own enchanter but not the time to go farm them, so 5-7k is nothing. Those who complain about Legendary glyph prices are not V14 and have no idea the real prices (if they did they would have their own enchanter already). But this game, its the materials that sell far better then the finished products cause trade skills are so easy to max out, almost everyone has one.
    Edited by Natjur on April 28, 2015 1:47AM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Those who buy Kuta are V14's who have there own enchanter but not the time to go farm them, so 5-7k is nothing. Those who complain about Legendary glyph prices are not V14 and have no idea the real prices (if they did they would have their own enchanter already). But this game, its the materials that sell far better then the finished products cause trade skills are so easy to max out, almost everyone has one.

Yup, the only thing that is still really worth it is nirn because A. The materials are super rare B. Many people didn't bother maxing everything out to nirn because nirn sucked when it was first introduced. Also, PvPers pay ridiculous amounts of gold for tripots.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple breakdown - sell these on your guild store(s)

Alchemy: tripots, detect pots, invis pots.
    Provisioning Purple food & Purple drank.
    Enchanting: Purple & Yellow enchants

Most long-time players already have 50 in all crafts. Many already have several toons with 50 in several crafts. Any armor or gear that they need they can craft themselves or know a friend who will make it for them at no cost. Moreover, they reap the benefits of hirelings sending them raw materials. Pretty much the only way to make money as an armor/weapon crafter is if the word 'nirn' is involved.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭
    I'm selling base materials only.
    There's a lot of players who craft things themselves but they don't have time to farm
    ...or they're simply too lazy to do it.
    Ingots, Cloth, Sanded Wood, Leather (good to sell in stacks of 100)
    Flowers/Plants - everything sells and prices are really good (best to sell in stacks of 25)
    Provisioning ingredients - for all mostly used food/drink types and crafting writ food (sell in stacks of 25)
    Potency runes 9 - especially Kura (in stacks of 7, 14 or 21)
    Essence Runes - Health, Magicka, Stamina, Fire (in stacks of 7, 14 or 21)

Selling crafting materials in stacks of 100 allows you to sell fast. Everyone who's doing crafting writs daily will need less than 100 but more than 50 (depends on the quest), that's why it sells good.
    Alchemy - tri-pots sell like crazy, but you can be the one who decides about prices :wink: flowers sell really fast and you don't need to worry a lot about price changes. Everyone will buy them anyway and selling ready potions in tricky, price can change fast. All it takes is one guy desperate to sell asking half price only. Selling stacks of 25 gives fastest profit and crafters make 100 potions out of it anyway.
    Provisioning - a lot of players spent big amounts of gold on recipes, so selling already made food doesn't bring much gold.
    On the other hand ingredients always sell. Just find out what's used for blue stam/hp and magicka/hp food (there's few recipes) and sell that. Again stacka of 25 sell way faster since crafter makes 100 out of it.
    Enchanting - everyone who does daily enchanting writs will need them (hp, stamina, magicka, kura) and fire sells a lot too since almost everyone for some unknown reason enchants weapons with fire :smile:

GL :smile:
    Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
    It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any market for clothes? As in, the kind you loot via Legerdemain? I seem to find a lot of sandals...

Also, how are you guys selling tripots? I've had a couple groups of 5 and 10 on multiple guilds and no one ever seems interested. :(
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any market for clothes? As in, the kind you loot via Legerdemain? I seem to find a lot of sandals...

Also, how are you guys selling tripots? I've had a couple groups of 5 and 10 on multiple guilds and no one ever seems interested. :(
    Sell clothes in zone chat. RPers love em, but for some reason you cannot sell them in guild stores.
    DO NOT APROACH THE RP CROWD DIRECTLY! They hate that!
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭

Maybe your price was too high. Try using Master Merchant addon
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info928-MasterMerchant.html
    It shows you average price, number of sales recently and it's all based on info from your guilds.
    Another thing, that some people forget about... make sure, that guild you're selling in has own merchant somewhere
    (best in some crowded cities) this will increase sales a lot.
    It's also good to advertise in zone chat from time to time (just make sure you put price in your msg)
    Mournhold is a really good place for that.
    Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
    It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
  • drallar
    drallar
    ✭✭✭

I can't agree more about the Kuta. What is with people that custom order Glyphs - tell you what the average selling price in their trade guild is for Kuta (4.7k-5kish), don't factor in the cost of the Potency or Essence runes - don't even bother to buy the mats and then get offended that I might want to charge more than 5k for the Glyph.

I have all crafts maxed out and will be done with Nirn researching in just over a month and I have completely given up on making stuff for other people. I will make items for my characters and my friends but I don't even bother with custom order requests anymore - it isn't worth it for me to give up my play time so that some random stranger can get his desired gear for 200 gp anymore.
    Edited by drallar on April 29, 2015 1:49PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated above, make sure your prices are at market.

However, 5 to 10 Tripots are not going to last anyone much time. Trials and PvP players eat those like diabetic addicts going after narcotic laced candy. You would probably find a better market with 50 or 100 stacks if you can make them.

What I am not sure of myself is how lower level Tripots would fare. Not sure if wasting the valuable flowers on L30 or L40 Tripots would work. You would certainly have to get the same price as the VR level stuff as the ingredients would not change in price.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As stated above, make sure your prices are at market.

However, 5 to 10 Tripots are not going to last anyone much time. Trials and PvP players eat those like diabetic addicts going after narcotic laced candy. You would probably find a better market with 50 or 100 stacks if you can make them.

They're VR5 potions and the Guild store is in Daggerfall. :\ I'll try a bigger stack size; I didn't realize there were people who threw around that much gold.

• Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10k to 15k for a stack of V5 tri pots is normal, but I am starting to see V14 tanks renting themselves out since they use so many pots.

Saw this yesterday.
    "V14 tank, cleared vDSA alot, will tank it for you for 1 stack of tri-pots"

And he got hired too!
    Edited by Natjur on April 30, 2015 2:22AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well...

Have two accounts. Have all your characters get hirelings in all crafts (ideally max level hirelings) and funnel all your materials toward the crafter who works with that craft.

Max out all traits so you can use any crafting station.

Use the Master Merchant addon to see what kind of price the various items sell for - and do some research (ask around, talk to folks) to see what styles sell (for example at vet levels people seem to want daedric and imperial).

Make pieces - improve only to green - sell in trade guilds - and watch where they are vending (i.e. if the kiosk is in a starter area, don't have 30 vet something bits for sale).

And keep your fingers crossed.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly maxed all crafting skills+research and never made a single gold piece from selling crafted goods. I have other ways of making money that require a lot less hassle.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Make pieces - improve only to green - sell in trade guilds - and watch where they are vending (i.e. if the kiosk is in a starter area, don't have 30 vet something bits for sale).

The issue with this advice is that they're the same thing--my aforementioned Guild in Daggerfall? It's in the same spot for BOTH my VR12 Aldmeri Dominion character and my level 7 Daggerfall Covenant alt.

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The issue with this advice is that they're the same thing--my aforementioned Guild in Daggerfall? It's in the same spot for BOTH my VR12 Aldmeri Dominion character and my level 7 Daggerfall Covenant alt.

So guild stores aren't faction based for their locations? I knew there were plenty of non-DC in my guild stores but I guess I still assumed guild stores were placed in a specific location which was dependent on the leader's faction.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

*frowning* I don't get what you mean here. The kiosk isn't always going to be in the same location; and if you are in more than one trade guild, that gives you potentially two different locations each "bid".
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    *frowning* I don't get what you mean here. The kiosk isn't always going to be in the same location; and if you are in more than one trade guild, that gives you potentially two different locations each "bid".

What he means is that a low level zone is a VR1 or VR6 level to the other two factions. Whether it's a starter zone or a Cadwell's Gold or Silver zone to the other factions, you all see the same guild store belonging to the same guild for the week they win the bid for it.

My EP level 12 alt in Mournhold, sees the exact same guild stores as my DC VR8 main in Mournhold.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what is so cool about the Kiosks in the game. You serve 3 groups of levels. So, in Daggerfall, you have the L3 to L15 players, then the L48 to VR2 characters, then the VR5 to VR7 characters all shopping at the same Kiosk, plus all the various crafters that go there looking for mats (hard to believe, but not all crafters are in Rawkla). This gives you more people to sell specific things to, like foods and potions.

Make some Blue L15-L20 Foods and I bet they sell out the Daggerfall Kiosk, along with VR45 to VR5 Foods. Same with Glyphs, make white glyphs, price them at 60% of what they sell for in at the Game Enchanters for those levels, they will sell. Same with Recipes that cater to that level. And, of course any weapons and armor you get that has a nice trait or is part of a dropped set, sell those at the Kiosks.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make some Blue L15-L20 Foods and I bet they sell out the Daggerfall Kiosk, along with VR45 to VR5 Foods. Same with Glyphs, make white glyphs, price them at 60% of what they sell for in at the Game Enchanters for those levels, they will sell. Same with Recipes that cater to that level. And, of course any weapons and armor you get that has a nice trait or is part of a dropped set, sell those at the Kiosks.

I actually put up some Four-Eye Grog to help newbie DCs with their Provisioning Writs. That's still sitting there too. :/

• Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What he means is that a low level zone is a VR1 or VR6 level to the other two factions. Whether it's a starter zone or a Cadwell's Gold or Silver zone to the other factions, you all see the same guild store belonging to the same guild for the week they win the bid for it.

My EP level 12 alt in Mournhold, sees the exact same guild stores as my DC VR8 main in Mournhold.

Good to know. I had considered the possibility but never tested it out or thought to ask.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade