The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

provisioning- character level vs. recipe level

Phatalix
Phatalix
✭✭
Can i use a level 13 purple recipe on a level 17 player.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the RECIPE, as in being able to 'use' it to learn it as soon as you've unlocked the ability to learn purple recipes, there is no level requirement to learn recipes, either character or Provisioning once your Provisioning is high enough to do that unlock.

The level 13 relates to the minimum level a character has to be to be able to consume the food the recipe makes, it isn't related to the Provisioner learning or making it.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 22, 2015 11:43AM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are no "Level 13" recipes.

The "value" listed on the recipe popup (9/10/13) is only the price that the recipe will sell to an NPC vendor.

You have to know what the recipe actually produces, that is the only way to know what level character can consume it. Your best option is one of the websites or links in this forum of all the new recipes and their character levels.

New recipes and Ingredients List

The actual character useable "levels" of food and beverage are set as follows:
    L1
    L5
    L10
    L15
    L20
    L25
    L30
    L35
    L40
    L45
    VR1
    VR5
    VR10

A Value 9 Green recipe can produce Character level 1-VR10 food and beverages.
    A value 10 Blue recipe can produce Character level 10-VR10 food and beverages.
    A value 13 Purple recipe can produce Character level 20-VR10 food and beverages.

R9L15.jpg
    This recipe makes Character Level 15 useable food, only character L15 and higher can consume it

R9VR10.jpg
    This recipe makes Character Level VR10 useable drink, only character VR10 and higher can consume it. And even though it says L50 that is a holdover from the addition of Vet levels and the actual food/beverage level still has to be known.

When you are at the cook fire you will see a popup that actually shows the useable Character level of the food/beverage you are making and another "value" number that is the price to sell to an NPC vendor.

You can see in my pictures that the popup says what the recipe produces. I can't remember whether that is coming from one of my addons (Sous Chef) or was always there.
    Edited by SpAEkus on April 22, 2015 2:20PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phatalix wrote: »
    Can i use a level 13 purple recipe on a level 17 player.

The above post provides excellent information. The lowest level Purple recipe is, I think, L20. So, in a few levels you could use this food on your character. What will stop you from making it is unlocking the Recipe Quality Level of 3. Not sure what your provisioning level is, but it needs to be up there to get that passive to unlock. Fortunately, leveling Provisioning is easy, if you have some mats and some recipes to make.

The only thing that will get in your way is lack of skill points to put into Provision. Reason, from L15 to L25, your really focusing your skill points on combat and defense skills. Mostly because these are the character levels where the cool skills unlock, the morphs start unlocking, and, your starting to develop your second weapon skill.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    As @Nestor says,

At Level 17 you may not have many skill points to spread around, but, if you have a free hour, just go get ALL the skyshards in ALL the 1-50 zones for that character.

You can have as many as 23 skill points for DC, 18 for AD and 16 for EP just from safe-to-get Skyshards.

Its an easy hour to get a head start on unlocking both fight and craft skills and passives.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can use the RECIPE, as in being able to 'use' it to learn it as soon as you've unlocked the ability to learn purple recipes, there is no level requirement to learn recipes, either character or Provisioning once your Provisioning is high enough to do that unlock.

The level 13 relates to the minimum level a character has to be to be able to consume the food the recipe makes, it isn't related to the Provisioner learning or making it.

You can actually "learn" blue and purple recipes of any level without having to put points in the passives. However, you can't cook the blue and purple foods until you have the appropriate passives unlocked. And, you can't consume any food/beverage without your character level being the appropriate level.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @spAEkus: I'm fairly certain that the line of white text which tells you what you will create above the Master Merchant info is from Sous Chef.
    NA - DC - DK - PC