The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does snakeblood even work?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I pumped 3 skill points into snakeblood, and it's supposed to reduce the duration of negative effects in your potions by 100%. That's 100%, which means completely, right???
Well, I tested it out by making a potion of ravage health and drank it down. I found that my health was reduced by a few thousand points. Is there something I'm missing here? Does this even work?
  • oddsmaker
    oddsmaker
    ✭✭
    I've been playing since day 1 and I don't think snakeblood has EVER worked. However, the good news is that it doesn't really need to work. There are a ton of potions with all beneficial effects, and to my knowledge there does not exist a single potion with some negative effect that doesn't also exist without that negative effect if you change out a reagant or two.

They should just delete that skill since plenty of people have wasted points in it for nothing. Maybe someday they will overhaul alchemy, but until that day, just avoid the skill.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oddsmaker wrote: »
    I've been playing since day 1 and I don't think snakeblood has EVER worked. However, the good news is that it doesn't really need to work. There are a ton of potions with all beneficial effects, and to my knowledge there does not exist a single potion with some negative effect that doesn't also exist without that negative effect if you change out a reagant or two.

They should just delete that skill since plenty of people have wasted points in it for nothing. Maybe someday they will overhaul alchemy, but until that day, just avoid the skill.

Yeah. Thanks. I understand about the avoidance of ill effects through careful selection of reagents. The thing that bothers me is that I've invested 3 skill points into it. I've been playing since day 1 also, over a year, and I never heard a thing about this not working. I even watched a video by Miss Bizz on alchemy and she mentions the purpose of snakeblood, but makes no mention of it not working.
    I think I'll do a thing in support section on it.
    Again, thanks!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only negates the DURATION of a negative effect. Any potion that has an instant negative effect will still happen. The negative effects over time will be negated though.

I don't bother with it either tho.. Lots of good potions to be had
    Edited by MissBizz on April 22, 2015 1:15AM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    It only negates the DURATION of a negative effect. Any potion that has an instant negative effect will still happen. The negative effects over time will be negated though.

I don't bother with it either tho.. Lots of good potions to be had

Thanks, Miss Bizz. I thought about that and I reasoned that duration means an extent of time, so I thought 100% would mean no duration at all, even something that occurs in an instant.
    Well, if I ever get to respeccing on this alt, I'll find a better place for my precious skill points.
    BTW, as long as you've gotten involved in this conversation, would u recommend any redistribution of points away from alchemy via respeccing once you've reached level 50?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the rest of the alchemy skills are very useful. Although if you have also taken up provisioning, unless you actually use drinks, there are two passives I wouldn't bother putting points into.Hah, I didn't even notice I had been mentioned earlier actually. That's a good point, I think I will put a note in that section of the video describing the snakeblold effect a bit better. Thanks.

Back at launch snakeblood used to say "Reduces negative effects in potions by XX%" which is why many people considered it broken. As I recall it always worked with only duration, so they clarified the tooltip.

Think of it this way, if there is no duration to reduce, snakeblood won't help you.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given all pots share the same stupidly long CD (made 50% worse in 1.6) then it seems you're better off using a healing pot (or multi-pot if needed) rather than wasting the CD on one simply to reduce the DoT time.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 22, 2015 6:51AM
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Back at launch snakeblood used to say "Reduces negative effects in potions by XX%" which is why many people considered it broken. As I recall it always worked with only duration, so they clarified the tooltip.

No it was always, and is still, broken. They didn't fix anything but the tooltip. All they did was make the tooltip match the broken function of the skill.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snakeblood is a terrible skill. It's not only pointless but broken. IT should have been like every other TES game and given a poison resistance or something instead
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, the rest of the alchemy skills are very useful. Although if you have also taken up provisioning, unless you actually use drinks, there are two passives I wouldn't bother putting points into.Hah, I didn't even notice I had been mentioned earlier actually. That's a good point, I think I will put a note in that section of the video describing the snakeblold effect a bit better. Thanks.
    This is off topic, but you started it, MissBizz ;) . Even though I don't use drinks, I still put skill points into the Brewer passive. I have several alts doing provisioning as a way to collect recipes. Since they have to do drinks for the writs, and my main as well, it was worth the skill points to have four drinks from each recipe, just for doing the writs.

PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • MurkMuffin
    So this thread made me search youtube for MissBizz's channel. Thanks! one more subscriber!
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Breton Sorcerer - Stria

For The Queen!