The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crushing Shock Vs Force Shock

Carter_DC
Carter_DC
✭✭✭
Since I'm not that good a damage dealer, i wanted to know if my choice of the crushing shock (whose interrupt is invaluable) over the Force shock wasn't too detrimental.

I tested with my VR14 Sorcerer, with 31k magika, 2446 spell damage, and about 40 points in Elemental Expert.
Tested Without Elemental Drain of a plain old VR4 Mamoth.

With Power Surge on :
............. Crushing Shock........|......... Force Shock
Fire..... : 1604 - (crit) 2407 .....|..... 1717 - (crit) 2576
Shock.... : 1681 - (crit) 2522 .....|..... 1801 - (crit) 2701
Cold..... : 1592 - (crit) 2388 .....|..... 1704 - (crit) 2556
------------------------------------|-------------------------
Total.... : 4877 - (crit) 7317 .....|..... 5222 - (crit) 7833
%age loss : -6.6% .....  -6.6%

With Power Surge off :
............. Crushing Shock........|......... Force Shock
Fire..... : 1472 - (crit) 2208 .....|..... 1591 - (crit) 2386
Shock.... : 1543 - (crit) 2314 .....|..... 1667 - (crit) 2501
Cold..... : 1461 - (crit) 2191 .....|..... 1578 - (crit) 2367
------------------------------------|-------------------------
Total.... : 4476 - (crit) 6713 .....|..... 4836 - (crit) 7254
%age loss : -7.5% .....  -7.5%

Some ppl told me that choosing the CS would result in a much higher than the advertised 10% damage loss, that actually is the opposite, and afaic I'm ok with a 6.6% damage loss if i get the interrupt back.

I'll be testing this week on some raid bosses to check if theses percentages are still the same.
High Kinlady Estre was right ! Hail to the Veil !
Fr AD Guild Arkadium.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage seems to be inconsequential when using a sorc, generally as you said it does not warrant losing the interrupt.

However, my DK sees a much higher dps loss and I therefore use Force Pulse for him.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 21, 2015 2:44PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    The damage seems to be inconsequential when using a sorc, generally as you said it does not warrant losing the interrupt.

However, my DK sees a much higher dps loss and I therefore use Force Pulse for him.

I figured it would be the opposite as Flame Lash > Force Pulse.... or am I wrong? Sorc has no spammable DPS so Force Pulse is a must IMO. I am awaiting the OP's tests on raid bosses however as the tests on the mammoths was fairly surprising.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes sense that Crushing Shock would put out a little less damage (6 to 7% is nothing really) as you are essentially negating any magic attacks or casted skill attacks against you. The damage received reduction more than makes up for the loss in damage dealt. If it is supposed to be 10% less, that is news to me. Even if it was 10% less, or even 15% less, Crushing Shock would still be the better Morph.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the same armors and passives on both? If your DK is not in Light Armor and or does not have the passives that increase spell penetration, or is more Stamina based than magic based, it could account for the differences. In that the passives of a Light Armor Sorcerers makes up for some of the 10% loss that is supposed to be there.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

I figured it would be the opposite as Flame Lash > Force Pulse.... or am I wrong? Sorc has no spammable DPS so Force Pulse is a must IMO. I am awaiting the OP's tests on raid bosses however as the tests on the mammoths was fairly surprising.

Flame lash is single target, Force pulse is essentially AoE so does more dps in smaller trash pulls. In addition, Force pulse is ranged and has the advantage for most scenarios. Flame lash is only better if single target and you don't mind being in melee range. Tomato/Tomatoe both have their time to shine.
    Nestor wrote: »

Do you have the same armors and passives on both? If your DK is not in Light Armor and or does not have the passives that increase spell penetration, or is more Stamina based than magic based, it could account for the differences. In that the passives of a Light Armor Sorcerers makes up for some of the 10% loss that is supposed to be there.

Same on both in regards to armor/armor passives. Class passives obv not and that is why the DK excels at Force Pulse vs. CS. The additional flame damage from DK passives is multiplicative over the additional enemies caught by Force pulse and therefore has a more noticeable dps change when using FP vs. CS on a DK vs. Sorc.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 21, 2015 4:52PM
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes sense that Crushing Shock would put out a little less damage (6 to 7% is nothing really) as you are essentially negating any magic attacks or casted skill attacks against you. The damage received reduction more than makes up for the loss in damage dealt. If it is supposed to be 10% less, that is news to me. Even if it was 10% less, or even 15% less, Crushing Shock would still be the better Morph.

It depends, I agree when dealing my Sorc.

But in terms of my DK, he is often within melee range and has no problems doing a manual interrupt when needed. As stated the dps increase he sees from force pulse is noticeable and worth the additional effort to manual interrupt.
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Use molten whip instead.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't agree. Force pulse is better for dps. When do you even need interrupts that you can't just bash? Always always choose the higher damage morph as a dps.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »

I don't agree. Force pulse is better for dps. When do you even need interrupts that you can't just bash? Always always choose the higher damage morph as a dps.

Unless of course I have a squishy Light Armored character that does best at range, regarding survival.

I may try Force Shock on my Iconoclast DK (Heavy Armor Magic Based) to see if there is a difference. However I tried to put Invasion on the destro bar and that does not give me the closing interrupt, by the time I get to the caster it's too late.

So, I will probably stay the way it is with Crushing Shock as that is more effective in the overall battle.

Can't DPS if your dead.

Edited by Nestor on April 21, 2015 8:09PM

•  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Unless of course I have a squishy Light Armored character that does best at range, regarding survival.

I may try Force Shock on my Iconoclast DK (Heavy Armor Magic Based) to see if there is a difference. However I tried to put Invasion on the destro bar and that does not give me the closing interrupt, by the time I get to the caster it's too late.

So, I will probably stay the way it is with Crushing Shock as that is more effective in the overall battle.

Can't DPS if your dead.

Won't be dead with:
    1) healers 2) undaunted passives.

Best in slot gear for casters is 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy. 6% increase to all stats and two pieces give you increased physical & spell resist. Even in melee range I'm fine.

Also for dk's,
    molten whip > force pulse > crushing shock
    Edited by Jules on April 21, 2015 8:12PM
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone else put it best when first discussing FOrce Pulse hitting harder than Crushing Shock when they said their guild has Sorcs use Force Pulse and DKs use Crushing Shock since DKs use Whip as their spam anyways especially considering they need close to melee range to activate their dots anyway.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone else put it best when first discussing FOrce Pulse hitting harder than Crushing Shock when they said their guild has Sorcs use Force Pulse and DKs use Crushing Shock since DKs use Whip as their spam anyways especially considering they need close to melee range to activate their dots anyway.

That could work I suppose. Since its not their optimal spammable ability, dk's could theoretically run it.

However, even with that, I still wouldn't really be in favor of crushing shock for dk's. Atleast not myself.

In hel ra hard mode, and other situations where dk's can't be close, their dps already drops significantly as they can't apply dots consistently. Choosing the lesser dps morph so you can occasionally use the interrupt it provides just doesn't seem worth it to me. I would have more use for the increased damage at ranged than the interrupt 8 days a week.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't be dead with:

Ah, well, since my Undaunted is L3 on the character that is highest in that Guild and I run solo, so few healers are around unless an altruistic soul happens by as I am in a fight, these two things don't apply to me.

•  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Won't be dead with:

Ah, well, since my Undaunted is L3 on the character that is highest in that Guild and I run solo, so few healers are around unless an altruistic soul happens by as I am in a fight, these two things don't apply to me.

Then yes, I understand why you run your spec the way you do.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That could work I suppose. Since its not their optimal spammable ability, dk's could theoretically run it.

However, even with that, I still wouldn't really be in favor of crushing shock for dk's. Atleast not myself.

In hel ra hard mode, and other situations where dk's can't be close, their dps already drops significantly as they can't apply dots consistently. Choosing the lesser dps morph so you can occasionally use the interrupt it provides just doesn't seem worth it to me. I would have more use for the increased damage at ranged than the interrupt 8 days a week.

It's these particular situations why I prefer to use force pulse>molten whip. Simply because trying to squeeze in a "close" range molten whip could spell instant death. All other times where I can get into close range with minimal risk, yes I agree molten whip> force pulse.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 21, 2015 8:46PM
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't be dead with:

Still, in most situations CS is not needed and from my own experience, once learned to make do without, I wouldn't go back. I use it on my sorc because its been put on the back burner to use when I want a lazy run and the dps loss isn't as noticable.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as clear cut as this. If I am running Hel-Ra, I want force pulse because I can bash the unthinking flamespinners. If I am PvPing, I want the interrupt 95% of the time.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crushing Shock has been my favorite but I recently switched to Force Pulse to increase my dps. The increase is very significant in my experience, with CS it was pretty hard to get more than 11k single target dps, with FP I regularly get 12k+ single target dps, for bosses with adds FP will only make this difference bigger. I would say the difference on my sorc is about 1k-1,2k single target dps. I use CF as interrupt, it procs quite often so its a good replacement for the CS interrupt.

For pve: Force Pulse but Crushing Shock is also oké if you want the ranged interrupt.
    For pvp: Crushing Shock, no question about it.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not as clear cut as this. If I am running Hel-Ra, I want force pulse because I can bash the unthinking flamespinners. If I am PvPing, I want the interrupt 95% of the time.

The mobs spawn in the middle on right side hel ra now. Bashing them manually is incredibly easy and CS is a wasted morph if it's just for hel ra. PVP is entirely different. CS makes sense there.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yea, molten whip works better for dps. Downside = always melee range

For that I put force pulse in second bar. So I am not naked and useless when you have to be on range in those rare range only moments.

Also helps when you have to run up to the enemy(Manticora i. E.). You can dps while running to the target. When reached it, swap back to whip and usual business. Slap dat - snip-.

But yea, as dk i much prefer force pulse. Even in hel ra. Its not hard to bash you know. Never relied on CS there. Not needed.
    Edited by xMovingTarget on April 22, 2015 10:25AM
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    I find it curious how so many people prefer force pulse simply because it does "10% more damage". Even if this is true (and the OP showed us it is quite a bit less dps loss if you use Crushing Shock) the impact on overall damage of force pulse instead of crushing shock is quite minimal. Crushing Shock on my Sorc deals about 20-30% of all damage done, meaning the overall increase I would see if I used Force Pulse would be about 3%. I'm not willing to give up the interrupt (which is especially useful in Vet-Arena) for such a small overall damage increase.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  • Bounee
    Bounee
    Wisler89 wrote: »
    I find it curious how so many people prefer force pulse simply because it does "10% more damage". Even if this is true (and the OP showed us it is quite a bit less dps loss if you use Crushing Shock) the impact on overall damage of force pulse instead of crushing shock is quite minimal. Crushing Shock on my Sorc deals about 20-30% of all damage done, meaning the overall increase I would see if I used Force Pulse would be about 3%. I'm not willing to give up the interrupt (which is especially useful in Vet-Arena) for such a small overall damage increase.

I think you forgot that you are still loosing also the aoe character of the spell which is for me also important in situation you described. I use crushing shock but i will maybe test it how it is with the dmg on single target on my character.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP test was on a single mammoth. FP damage increase becomes even more noticeable when attacking multiple targets, as in vdsa.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been using Crushing Shock too as I find the interrupt to be a useful boon. Crushing Shock is mostly just a filler to get Crystal Fragments to proc for me anyway. I think that's where the real damage is along with LL.
    :trollin:
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Force Pulse has an AOE component that is rather easy to proc.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I agree it's a great alternative if you want the extra damage and don't care about the interrupt. Honestly this isn't about which one is better, it's about which one is better for you. They are both great for different reasons.
    :trollin:
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭

I agree it's a great alternative if you want the extra damage and don't care about the interrupt. Honestly this isn't about which one is better, it's about which one is better for you. They are both great for different reasons.

Hmm, I think you describe it best, I like Crushing Shock because of the interrupt, I never have troube with AoEing down mobs in VDSA (where I use Elemental Ring). Another Sorc in my guild uses Force Pulse but he says that a Crushing Shock user in the group makes VDSA a little easier.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agreed, it comes down to preference and style of gameplay.

Force pulse = better dps
    Crushing shock = interrupt

Lol we could've just saved our time and read the tool tips.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agreed, it comes down to preference and style of gameplay.

Force pulse = better dps
    Crushing shock = interrupt

Lol we could've just saved our time and read the tool tips.

Well I think the point was to know how much dps you gain with the 'better dps' morph to judge if its worth sacrificing the ranged interrupt.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since switching to Force Pulse I've gotten a lot better at just getting up in the mob's face and bashing it to interrupt. Not always an option but you'd be surprised