The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 209 spam please fix it

tordr86b16_ESO
tordr86b16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
getting spammed with error code 209 when i start the launcher. I now have to bypass it by starting the game with eso.exe to even play the game.
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

Error 209 can be usually fixed by following this article.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Stravokov
    Stravokov
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

this is the second patch with this same error. last time i had to reinstall the game just to get it to work. we shouldn't have to Fix your game EVERY PATCH just to play it. tired of this BS, ill login when ZOS fixes it, till then i am done.
    Options
  • dRudE
    dRudE
    ✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as Stravokov, but io think it's been the last 5 patches at least. Every time i follow repair steps but nothing fixes anything. Bored now.
    Options
  • SevenPlants
    Edit : I actually followed this article : https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6486 because that's the error I'm getting. I did everything in that article short of reinstalling, without success. I will try doing what PierreL suggested and report back.

Edit 2 : Amagad it worked!

Edit 3 : Nope, got the error again.
    Edited by SevenPlants on April 27, 2015 6:48PM
    Options
  • biovitalb16_ESO
    biovitalb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

That's cool and all but every single time I open the launcher I have to do these "fixes" just to play. It's getting old...and fast. You guys need to determine what exactly is causing this issue and finally fix it.
    Options
  • dunn4_ESO
    dunn4_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

None of these fixes work, I've not seen a single person on these forums say that they do. I know its not your fault, but you guys and tech support need to come up with a better response. At least get a dev in here to let us know that they are aware of the issue.

After trying everything twice since Sunday, I am spending 6-7 hours reinstalling the game from scratch. If it doesn't work after that, I'm just going to uninstall and play any number of competing games that delivered a usable product. I paid too much money to not even get to create a character.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following the official advice doesn't work, at least not more than randomly. The only effective workaround to a launcher bug that "manifests" itself (pun fully intended, sorry!) every single patch as evident from any perusal of the General Discussion and PC/Mac Technical boards is to close and re-open the launcher until the "play" button appears, or else to run the game once patched from the eso.exe file in the game folder until the next patch, or until the bug rights itself which it usually does within a day or two.

I am far from alone in stating this, it comes up every single patch and the same advice is always given by numerous players, this week being no exception. The bug seriously needs fixing. I've personally experienced it 9 patches out of 10 since launch, and the workaround has always been successful for a day or two after which it has no longer been needed. Initially I followed the advice to repair the game etc and it fixed nothing.
    Edited by Tandor on April 28, 2015 9:05PM
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A game shot down by its launcher. The irony.
    Options
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I've been trying to update the EU version of the game and am getting the dreaded Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail.

Repair doesn't help, giving another Error 209 error after Verifying the ~30 GB of files.

Running eso.exe directly from the EU subdirectory returns the fatal Error 11 message in the ESO crash reporter.

No such problems updating the NA version.

I wonder why ZOS changed the client setup for the EU version? When the game was launched in 2014, the client setup was identical, one in the same, and all we had to do was to copy the contents of a fully updated NA version to the EU subdirectory and be up and running on the EU server in a matter of minutes. A deliberate stumbling block to keep NA players on the NA server?
    Options
  • Stigma311
    Stigma311
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

this Link help me out and fix my problem very fast
    Edited by Stigma311 on April 28, 2015 11:12PM
    Options
  • eagardh_ESO
    eagardh_ESO
    ✭✭
    Hello @tordr86b16_ESO ,

Did not work for me. Following the directions of that thread resulted in my client being corrupted and repair now does nothing. I had no choice but to uninstall and will have to re-install.

Do you know how long it took me to download the ESO client? 5 days. I can only do downloads like ESO's a few hours during the night so it took me 5 days to D/L for the welcome back weekend.

Now I must spend 5 days to D/L the client for ESO again.... a game I just purchased from you only days ago.

As a customer I am not satisfied at all. Zenimax needs to fix it's Launcher.

Edited by eagardh_ESO on April 28, 2015 11:19PM
    Options
  • SevenPlants
    Once the game launches, tab out to your desktop, right-click the game (not the launcher) and pin the game to your taskbar. Launch it from there.

Still, this is an ugly solution. ZOS needs to fix this.
    Options
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once the game launches, tab out to your desktop, right-click the game (not the launcher) and pin the game to your taskbar. Launch it from there.

This does not work if the launcher mucks up the installation.
    Options
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

This does not work if the launcher mucks up the installation.

that's only if you press the repair button. as soon you see the manifest bug, exit and boot the exe directly.
    Options