The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar magicka dps build; Templar build theory-craft discussion. Post your builds!

McSwine
McSwine
The Battle-Mage and or The Radiant Oppressor

With all the new exciting changes to templar, im rather surprised in the lack of magicka dps builds currently at least in my circle of players.
10% crit damage passive, and the best execute in the game. I mean what's not awesome about that?

I started out as a stamina templar, mostly due to it being necessary prior to 1.6 if you wanted to dps on a templar and push 1k+ dps consistently. Stamina, however, post 1.6 was really lackluster for me. This was mainly due to racial passives (Altmer). I couldn't get my stamina any higher than around 24k, which compared to my buddy with imperial racial passives who sat at around 28k+ was far too much disparity.

So I did a smart thing and went magicka dps to see what the buzz was about. With a lot of help from my guildy, Aero, i've come up with a nice comfortable build with huge potential for extreme dps, sustain, and utility. 10-13k dps with average player skill. 15k+ with above average player skill

If youre into lighting people on fire at range with a staff and then swapping on the fly to duel wield to chop enemies into bits and stand tall as the grand "Radiant Oppressor" that you are, then maybe this build will be perfectly suited to your playstyle as it was for me.

GEAR
  • 2 piece Torug's Pact (Heavy chest, weapons; precise or sharpened fire staff, sharpened axe)
  • 2 piece Valk Skoria's (Medium shoulder, light helmet)
  • 2 piece Cyrodil's Light (ring, ring)
  • 2 piece Adroitness (neck, light belt)
  • 3 piece Martial Knowledge (boots, gloves, legs)
  • 1 pact/cov/domi axe
This gear setup has been solid for my playstyle and i have no real plans to change any of it at the moment. My reasoning behind the skoria set is pretty obvious. Not only will i be using a lot of DoTs, but I also will be using 2 channeled abilities that also proc skoria meteors. The rest of the gear is there to maximize spell damage and max magicka. The one crafted chest piece of torugs pact in heavy will give you an immense phy res compared to others with light chest pieces. Its the difference between 5k or less or 8k or more in a lot of cases. Also it being coupled with one piece of medium in the skoria shoulder gives me 6% to all attributes.

Attribute/Stat Goals

Magicka - 28k+ (32k+ optimally)
Health - 18k+ (20k+ optimally)
Stam - irrelavent

Spell dmg Fire staff - 2k +
Spell dmg DuelWield - 2.2k+

Phy res - 7k-9k
Spell res - 11k -13k

NEWS FLASH
to all magicka users, Dual wielding will maximize your spell dmg! "But, Im magicka and dw is stam" you will say. HUSH. Try it out for yourself, your base weapon dmg scales your overall spell damage. You have more weapon power with two axes compared to the weapon power on one staff.

so my reasoning for duel-wielding is very simple, extra DoT from axes to proc skoria, and to maximize spell power for my biggest hits (radiant oppression, shooting star). We're talking 200+ spell power difference here, so casting your ultis, and executes with duel-wield effectively will help you out a lot. Also the pvp axe is arguably the only weapon in the game that will increase spell power i have not tested this yet. But, the enchant reads "increase power by X for 5 seconds". its a very ambiguous enchant for sure so some testing should be done to ensure what it does. on another note It's also sharpened which is great!

Spells and Abilities
Fire Staff
  1. Blazing Spear - try to always open with this from range in most fights that don't involve dk's chain pulling. It's a pretty huge GtAoE/DoT, that will proc not only your burning light passives, but skoria as well. Also it being aedric spear, it will increase your crit damage passively by 10% for being slotted
  2. Vampire's Bane - your source for major spell crit buff, and your main attack weave from range. you should always have this up 100% of the time even when in melee.
  3. Structured Entropy - your source for major spell dmg buff, weave into your rotation after your buff wears off, it also is a DoT so this is good for skoria procs, also a huge passive boost to your health. This will allow you to hit those high magicka numbers while still maintaining the minimum health threshold
  4. Purifying Light - a great great great ability. make sure you use this to the very best of your ability. 14k+ burst every 5 or 6 seconds is amazing! this ability is crucial to single target dps sustain. It also is very beneficial in "stack and smack" style boss encounters, when almost everyone is standing in your healing pool getting 2k heal ticks every 2 seconds.
  5. Breath of Life or Elemental Drain - breath of life when you need it (bad healers/general squishiness) elemental drain when you don't (good healers/no one else in raid has it)
Duel Wield
  1. Radiant Oppression - the absolute pure beam of distilled hate-cannon destruction, equip this ability to become mega man and kill anything starting at around 40% depending on how much magicka you have, which will increase dmg by X depending on your current mag %, the best execute in the game hands down
  2. Puncturing Sweep - for when you need to stab a lot of things at once or life leech or to get that boss down with something that isn't fire dmg, this is your move. also aedric spear crit dmg, burning light, yada yada
  3. Structured Entropy - see above
  4. Evil Hunter or Quick Cloak - Evil hunter when there's daedra or vamps or whatever, Quick Cloak if you want to be super speedy and tanky in melee range from boss/trash aoe, also really good for stage 2 vdsa
  5. Channeled Focus - Your magicka battery and major armor and spell res buff. use it wisely, like pretty much constantly. Put this thing everywhere, it is your low-cost best friend and will ensure that your radiant oppression hits for its maximum potential

UTLIMATE
  • Shooting Star - the best ultimate in the game. use this on both bars when equipped for mages guild passive for max magicka and regen
  • Nova - for when your group needs more dmg mitigation, or if you just like it better for your own mitigation.

Feel free to post your thoughts, opinions, questions, and builds!

For the Pact,
McSwine
Edited by McSwine on April 20, 2015 6:59PM
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    You said "14k+ burst every 5 or 6 seconds is amazing" in purifying light section. Could you please elaborate? Purifying light is just healing allies, not you, right? And it does it in 2 secs intervals, not 5-6 secs.
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • McSwine
    McSwine
    When purifying light explodes, it drops a small circle of healing that whoever stands in it will get that heal from it
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be moved to "player guides" forum.

My instinct tells me you would be swapping weapons far too much in a sustained fight as your spam ability is on a different bar than the short Vampire Bane DoT you always want on a target. There is potential here, though I'm pretty sure at present this works better on paper than in an actual raid.
    Edited by Joy_Division on April 20, 2015 4:59PM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    On http://tamrielfoundry.com/forums/are good templar builds, good builds for ALL classes

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/aedrics-warrior-magicka-build-templar-dd/ from @EgoRush

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-lightbringer/ from @timidobserver

I would suggest you to keep looking for builds on Tamrielfoundry, usually pretty decent ones there.
    Edited by Alcast on April 20, 2015 5:14PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• McSwine
    McSwine
    This should be moved to "player guides" forum.

My instinct tells me you would be swapping weapons far too much in a sustained fight as your spam ability is on a different bar than the short Vampire Bane DoT you always want on a target. There is potential here, though I'm pretty sure at present this works better on paper than in an actual raid.

no, you see, i set this build up as a range/melee build with a strong emphasis on range, puncturing sweep isn't the spam ability i use, im working on a setup atm for straight melee magicka because i do see the better overall output coming from puncturing sweep heavy rotations while duel wielding, but for now its just for close towards the end of a fight where i swap weapons to execute, or for trash pulls. Fire staff is my primary damage weapon, which i know is what makes it sub-optimal, but the range benefit is good for a lot of fights. I use vampire's bane is my main heavy weave spam, while i juggle all other dots/debuffs. Weapon swapping is not a big issue honestly