The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Arx Corinium - Fanged Menace (Bug?)

AlnilamE
AlnilamE
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I was running Arx with some friends yesterday as it was the normal pledge (V12 instance), and we had some trouble with the snake boss (Fanged Menace).

Whenever he went into his healing/poison mode, there was no way to interrupt him and he would heal all the way back up. We had a standard, a veil and a nova on him at one point and he still healed back up.

Now, I've run this dungeon before at different levels, including tanking it on a level 22 when it was set to level 29, and a lower vet instance a week or so ago and that boss never struck me as problematic.

Is this a DPS vs Heals race? I would expect to be able to interrupt a self healing boss (like you can with other bosses who heal themselves).

Is it bugged or were we doing something wrong?
The Moot Councillor
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fanged Menace has a distance-dependent healing mechanic. Specifically, when he goes into his healing mode, the amount of HP he regains depends on the proximity of the players to him. When he starts healing, you need to stand as far away as possible and use ranged attacks. Even the tank shouldn't stand within melee range (there's nothing to tank all the time he's healing, anyway).

He's not the only boss with a distance-dependent mechanic. Garron the Returned, the lich in Veteran Wayrest Sewers, does less damage the closer you are to him. So during his "rays of death", you all need to stack on top of him to give your Healer a chance to heal you all through it.

And yes, it's normal for Fanged Menace's healing mode not to be interruptable.

He's particularly difficult on v12, but entirely do-able as long as you keep well out of melee range.
    Edited by baratron on April 17, 2015 6:57AM
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, thank you very much for that info!

That makes sense, as this time both me and the other DPS were using melee during that fight.

He'll definitely go down next time. :-)
    The Moot Councillor
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried this dungeon for the first time and got booted for not knowing this. I kept attacking within the cirlce. I guess I need to watch the chat. Not even noticeable in game for me. After much googling to figure out which mini boss this even was I came across this thread. Not sure how anyone is supposed to figure out these mechanics.

I quit destiny 2 beacuse of their endgame focus on raids and it seems the same goes on here, maybe not as extreme but too much damn research involved.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried this dungeon for the first time and got booted for not knowing this. I kept attacking within the cirlce. I guess I need to watch the chat. Not even noticeable in game for me. After much googling to figure out which mini boss this even was I came across this thread. Not sure how anyone is supposed to figure out these mechanics.

I quit destiny 2 beacuse of their endgame focus on raids and it seems the same goes on here, maybe not as extreme but too much damn research involved.

I'm sorry you got kicked. I've found it very useful to mention to people that it was my first time in a dungeon (or that I'm still not familiar with it) and then pay attention to tips as we go along.

I think ZOS has done a pretty good job with dungeons since the game launched. Most of the DLC dungeons have an NPC that gives you hints as you go through a boss fight (note this is not helpful if you play with sound turned off).
    The Moot Councillor
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just getting old. Next time I'll pay attention to the chat and maybe let everyone know first. I might create another character though almost a 40 minute wait with a redguard dk dps.
  • eso_lytw8
    eso_lytw8
    ✭✭✭

Also sorry for your kick, but at that boss if you don't understand the mechanic the group can not continue. One piece of advice is make sure you are in game chat, not sure how this works for PC, but if you are in chat and doing a group dungeon then your team mates should also be in chat telling you what to do or should not kick you. That doesn't mean they won't but in my opinion you should not kick someone for doing something wrong and not being willing to communicate with you what is wrong. This game mimics life, you will find absolutely amazing people going out of their way to do awesome things for others and just like life you will find people that act in the opposite.

< Xbox NA PVE >
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    That's cool, see me reply above. Just find it weird that this info is so hard to find without having to chat in game. Can't stand in game chat, I always ignore it. Guess I'll pay attention next time.