Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Very slow loading interior textures?

MikeMoss
MikeMoss
✭✭✭
Hi

I play the game on Ultimate settings, and have been for the last year.
Now I'm finding places where the textures when entering a building will take forever to load.

I tried reducing the settings clear down to medium but it made no difference.
I've had one instance where they just didn't load at all and I had to leave the building and reenter several times.

My friend is seeing the same thing.
Is this common, and does anyone know any way to change the settings or anything that will improve this.

Mike
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that if I've been galloping at high speeds on my horse for long enough before opening a door to go into a building this sometimes happens. It seems that if I'm moving too fast, loading textures (and even models) doesn't always happen right away. To be honest, it hasn't bothered me enough for me to try to find a solution, so I'm afraid I can't help with that aspect of it.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen this in my game. I have seen some texture weirdness near doors (the door frame seems to grow and surround me) but that goes away as soon as I walk a couple of steps.

Now, is the cell loading, but the objects in the cell are taking a long time to load? or you just see a blank area that you have to wait to see anything?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• JimKnight
    JimKnight
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same sort of problem. Sometimes when I go inside a building there is now walls or floor they are invisible.

Hope someone can shed some light on this issue. I changed around some settings but it still happens.
  • MikeMoss
    MikeMoss
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Yes, that's what I'm seeing, if I enter an inn say, the tables and things pop in with no floor, etc.
    I've tried different settings and my video card drivers are up to date.

I have plenty of computer power, I can run on Ultimate setting with no lag, just this one issue.

Mike
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it's definitely related to my speed.

Happens when I'm newly loaded into the game, or newly loaded into an area (from login to a character I have not been playing). If I go too fast (running) I start seeing places that are blurry, buildings that are not on the ground and so on. If I keep going too fast then I get a loading screen.

Entering a building before the door loads usually means I walk into space - with furniture just hanging there.

When I slow down, it's better.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought this issue was attributed to network speed/latency. That would explain why it doesn't appear to be dependent on specific settings.

For the record, I occasionally see this in my game too. My net is 165 down/12 up
    Edited by nastuug on April 17, 2015 6:16PM
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has nothing to do with the network...

When you enter a building or area with a new texture set, your PC has to offload the textures and graphic objects that were currently in memory and load new ones. It's not instantaneous, especially if you've been playing a while.

The game is constantly allocating and deallocating memory up to the limits of what it can address as a 32-bit game (it doesn't matter how much memory your PC has). Your system memory gets "fragmented"; memory that has been dealocated has to be coalesced by the OS into usable chunks (a process called "garbage collection", a low priority process on your PC). If the chunks that are available aren't of a usable size relative to what the application (the game) wants, then the application has to wait for the garbage collection process to catch up.

ZOS has been playing with the priority of events in the game ever since release and that has affected what and when various graphic objects are loaded into your graphics card rendering pipeline. You may have a super-duper graphics card, but it uses the same bus as the rest of the PC and doesn't have exclusive rights to it. In addition, both DirectX and OpenGL create what's known as a Hardware Abstraction Layer to accommodate functionality not native to your graphics card; this is in effect virtual memory and an adjunct to your drivers... and it also uses the system bus. Accordingly, again no matter the graphic card's manufacturer's claims, your hardware is slower than marketed.

In combination, all of these things affect how quickly you see objects on screen.
    Edited by Lord_Kreegan on April 19, 2015 8:05PM
  • Lunawarlu
    Lunawarlu
    Soul Shriven
    Has nothing to do with the network...

When you enter a building or area with a new texture set, your PC has to offload the textures and graphic objects that were currently in memory and load new ones. It's not instantaneous, especially if you've been playing a while.

The game is constantly allocating and deallocating memory up to the limits of what it can address as a 32-bit game (it doesn't matter how much memory your PC has). Your system memory gets "fragmented"; memory that has been dealocated has to be coalesced by the OS into usable chunks (a process called "garbage collection", a low priority process on your PC). If the chunks that are available aren't of a usable size relative to what the application (the game) wants, then the application has to wait for the garbage collection process to catch up.

ZOS has been playing with the priority of events in the game ever since release and that has affected what and when various graphic objects are loaded into your graphics card rendering pipeline. You may have a super-duper graphics card, but it uses the same bus as the rest of the PC and doesn't have exclusive rights to it. In addition, both DirectX and OpenGL create what's known as a Hardware Abstraction Layer to accommodate functionality not native to your graphics card; this is in effect virtual memory and an adjunct to your drivers... and it also uses the system bus. Accordingly, again no matter the graphic card's manufacturer's claims, your hardware is slower than marketed.

In combination, all of these things affect how quickly you see objects on screen.

That being said is there any way to solve the problem, I too have this problem but it only started after update 6
  • Alleon
    Alleon
    ✭✭✭
    I have two issues regarding the subject. First one being loading details (textures) on models being way too slow. It happens when I enter the area. And the second being way to long loading screens for some zones. Sometimes it even freezes on loading screen forcing me to alt-f4. HDD/SSHD/SSD wont help it.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well for me the longer I play, the more into the game - the less problems I have with this.

Some fun things happen though. Day before yesterday, I wayshrined to Rivenspire, and when I "landed" most everything was blue - no ground/buildings just occasional people. I fell down, and then abruptly "landed" right next to the wayshrine.

I personally blame it on Cold Harbor. Apparently I'm only loosely connected to Nirn now.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this happens to me. I often see slow loading textures in towns, but it is mainly say Daggerfal and Wayrest, not unpopulated areas. I run the game on a SSD and a R9 280x, so I don't think hardware is a problem. I do play the game on a wireless connection, which I believe might have something to do with it. Regardless, it was never this bad before.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • annuschka
    annuschka
    ✭✭✭
    So, any news or help for this problem?

It's the same thing for me. I was playing half a year ago and everything was fine. Now I enter a building and have to wait up to 20 seconds 'till the walls and floor pop up. (In cities, I can see right into the other houses *bwoah*).
    Changing the settings didn't seem to change anything about the loading. My PC should be good enough to handle Ultra Settings (and it was NOT a problem half a year ago).
    Also, I'm not sure if it's in populated areas only. I'll keep an eye out for this. But it seems logical: It's like ALL interiors of one city are in one "area", I can see them through my nonexistent walls. While in less dense areas, there are probably less interiors in one cell/grid.

Has somebody looked into the .ini settings? Maybe there is something, e.g.:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/163150/textures-loading-delay
  • Al'Odin
    Al'Odin
    ✭✭
    Having the same issue when I enter buildings, cant say I'v noticed it is connected with speed. Have been on ESO a year and never changed the setting (on High) and had no problems whatsoever. i kinda think somewhere along the way it is connected to an update
    Edited by Al'Odin on May 21, 2015 8:30AM
  • djhuff23b14_ESO
    I have been having this problem and it didn't start until the TU update on March 17th. I played the game up until that release on Ultra High with no problems whatsoever graphics wise. After March 17 the interior textures began not loading in upon entering banks and other buildings. I've tried everything to fix it, but nothing works. I complain about it through bug reports but they try and tell me my system can't handle the game which is complete *** because all my system specs are more than this game requires. So i don't know what to do to fix this. Would be nice to know why its happening in the first place.