Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Set Bonus Mechanics

Elephant42
Elephant42
✭✭✭✭
Ok I've searched this forum and google to death and I just can't find an answer to my questions which are:

For equipment sets, do you get the bonuses from all levels of the set or just the bonus from the highest number of pieces?

I'll use an example - say I craft 5 pieces of Ashen Grip which has the following set bonuses
2 Items
Adds 118 Max Health
3 Items
Adds 14 Weapon Damage
4 Items
Adds 4% Weapon Critical
5 Items
10% chance to breath fire for 85 Flame damage on melee hits. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds

Will I get +118 max health as well as +14 weapon damage as well as +4% weapon crit as well as fire breath or will I just get the fire breath bonus?

Second question - does the bonus apply to each item or to the set as a whole? Using my example above do I get an extra 118 health or 2x118=236 health or 5x118=590 health?

Any references to supporting info would be appreciated.

TIA
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffs a cumulative so yes, with 3 items you get the 118 max health and the 14 weapon damage, etc.

As far as I know you only get them once, so you don't get 118 for every item in the set, you only get 118, period, I've never looked because it never occurred to me to even think they'd be per-piece.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 9, 2015 8:02AM
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    The set bonuses also scale with your current level, FYI.

The bonuses are cumulative (you wear 5 pieces, you get the 5-piece bonus) so if you remove a piece, you remove the level of the set bonus, etc.

You can also combine different sets if you want to mix and match.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    Will I get +118 max health as well as +14 weapon damage as well as +4% weapon crit as well as fire breath or will I just get the fire breath bonus?
    If you're using all 5 pieces, then you get all of the bonuses. It's cumulative. I usually like to decide what main set to use on a character based on the 5-piece bonus, and then pick a secondary set based on the 2-piece, 3-piece, and sometimes 4-piece bonus that second set gives. If I'm going tanky, for example, I like to combine the Shalidor's Curse and Orgnum's Scales sets, because both of them have bonuses that add to health, and the rest of the bonuses are all about getting health back. Sometimes there isn't any set with a 5-piece bonus that I really care about for a particular character build, and then I freely mix and match sets to get the 2-piece, 3-piece, and 4-piece bonuses that I'm looking for.
    Second question - does the bonus apply to each item or to the set as a whole? Using my example above do I get an extra 118 health or 2x118=236 health or 5x118=590 health?
    They apply to the set as a whole, not to each piece of the set. If your set bonuses are all around adding health, and you also enchant all of your pieces with health enchants, it can still really add up, even though you don't get a set bonus added to each piece.

It's worth noting that most set bonuses (but not all: ones that are flat-out percentages don't scale, and certain other ones don't either) scale with the level of the gear you're crafting, as well as the quality of that gear. So a bonus on a level 40 piece of gear will be better than a bonus on a level 10 piece of gear, while the bonus on a purple piece of gear will be better than the bonus on a green piece of gear of the same level. One thing I'm unsure of is what happens when one of your set pieces gives a bigger bonus than another. So if you had 4 green pieces of gear, and one gold piece at the same level, the gold one shows higher set bonuses than the green ones, but I don't know which would actually be applied.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I have it sussed now.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to keep in mind, if you improve the armor, the Set Bonuses go up in value. Not for every step of improvement, but you can increase the stats if you want to. Someone already said this, so disregard.

Edited by Nestor on April 9, 2015 10:18PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind, if you improve the armor, the Set Bonuses go up in value. Not for every step of improvement, but you can increase the stats if you want to. Someone already said this, so disregard.
    That doesn't make it any less true though :)
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • M_TeK_9
    M_TeK_9
    ✭✭✭
    Will raising blessed in champion points increase the juggernaut set 5 piece heal value?