The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PS4 game sharing and ESO.

liammozzb16_ESO
liammozzb16_ESO
✭✭✭
Ever since the PS3 me and my friend have game shared. Will ESO work the same way as any other ps4 game or will needing an account result in both of us having to buy are own copy?
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Accounts are "activated" by buying a copy of the game on PC, I imagine it will work the same with Consoles which would mean you'll both have to buy your own copy it seems to me.
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »
    Accounts are "activated" by buying a copy of the game on PC, I imagine it will work the same with Consoles which would mean you'll both have to buy your own copy it seems to me.

Damn I can get it for the £12.99 discount and he can't. Thought I was only going to have to pay £6.50 for the ps4 version.

I'll buy mine first and see what happens just to make sure though.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game sharing is piracy.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Game sharing is piracy.

Erm no it's not its a feature of the PS4 that's been there since the PS3.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mkay... as it pertains to eso, you will likely have to activate a code on your account. It's not the software, it's the Activated code.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mkay... as it pertains to eso, you will likely have to activate a code on your account. It's not the software, it's the Activated code.

The only thing I have got going for it is destiny is account based and that game worked.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I have got going for it is destiny is account based and that game worked.

I think you might just have to wait and see. Since you don't need a subscription, it's not like you need to pay to access ESO.

I think it might result in only one of you being able to pay at a time.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since the PS3 me and my friend have game shared. Will ESO work the same way as any other ps4 game or will needing an account result in both of us having to buy are own copy?

Glad you posted this. I'm not on PS4 but have similar Xbox One related questions. This is a GREAT question for PS4!

Xbox one?
    -Does my home Xbox allow anyone to play the game for free IF their account is setup?
    -IF the above works and I have two Xbox One's sharing gold on my home Xbox one can I play on another console while a friend plays using my home xbox one and shared gold on my home xbox one?

There all work on other games but I don't have any info on IF TESO uses the Xbox profile or a Zenimax profile linked to xbox profile.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Glad you posted this. I'm not on PS4 but have similar Xbox One related questions. This is a GREAT question for PS4!

Xbox one?
    -Does my home Xbox allow anyone to play the game for free IF their account is setup?
    -IF the above works and I have two Xbox One's sharing gold on my home Xbox one can I play on another console while a friend plays using my home xbox one and shared gold on my home xbox one?

There all work on other games but I don't have any info on IF TESO uses the Xbox profile or a Zenimax profile linked to xbox profile.

Just found out you can do it with FF:RR so my best guess would be you can with ESO too.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game sharing is piracy.

In the context of passing a CD to someone, letting them install and then wandering off? Yeah. Especially when you're talking about games that shipped without disk authentication or any DRM scheme.

In the context of consoles? Usually not so much, because the disk is the game. Or at least that was a little more clear cut. Sharing was actually passing it to them to someone else.

I mean at a really basic level, we're talking about someone paying for one copy of a game and two copies ending up in the wild.

Steam, PSN, and a few others are playing with the idea of sharing plans where you can temporarily pass a game between accounts. It's not piracy, and there isn't an unauthorized copy floating around. Especially since, in both cases, it's with the publisher's blessing.

It's emulating the whole, "I've got a disk, you want to mess around with it for a bit?" Without penalizing people over it. It's also not universal. IIRC Ubisoft titles don't work with Steam's Sharing system. And setting it up is kind of a pain. I don't know about Sony's take, except that it exists.
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Game sharing is piracy.

In the context of passing a CD to someone, letting them install and then wandering off? Yeah. Especially when you're talking about games that shipped without disk authentication or any DRM scheme.

In the context of consoles? Usually not so much, because the disk is the game. Or at least that was a little more clear cut. Sharing was actually passing it to them to someone else.

I mean at a really basic level, we're talking about someone paying for one copy of a game and two copies ending up in the wild.

Steam, PSN, and a few others are playing with the idea of sharing plans where you can temporarily pass a game between accounts. It's not piracy, and there isn't an unauthorized copy floating around. Especially since, in both cases, it's with the publisher's blessing.

It's emulating the whole, "I've got a disk, you want to mess around with it for a bit?" Without penalizing people over it. It's also not universal. IIRC Ubisoft titles don't work with Steam's Sharing system. And setting it up is kind of a pain. I don't know about Sony's take, except that it exists.

Ps4 game sharing only works with digital copies.

I am allowed to instal a digital copy on my primary system and not need to be connected to the Internet to play. On the other console I do have to be connected to the Internet to play.

So my ps4 is at my friends set as the primary and my friends ps4 is in my house set as his primary.

When I buy a game he can play it because he's the primary and doesn't have to be logged in as me to play it. When I sign in I am on the Internet so I can sign in as me and still play the game.

Allowing both of us to play one copy of the game each using are own account.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am allowed to instal a digital copy on my primary system and not need to be connected to the Internet to play. On the other console I do have to be connected to the Internet to play.

So my ps4 is at my friends set as the primary and my friends ps4 is in my house set as his primary.

When I buy a game he can play it because he's the primary and doesn't have to be logged in as me to play it. When I sign in I am on the Internet so I can sign in as me and still play the game.

Yeah. I'm guessing, so, take this with a grain or twenty of salt, but I don't think ESO will work with that unless ZoS specifically goes out of their way to work with it. The problem is, even for the console release, you're going to need to set up an account, and I don't think you can log into the same account on the same server multiple times. I know you can log into the NA and PTS servers simultaneously, and I think you can sign in on the EU server along with them. But that's about the extent of multiple log ins from the same account.

Since there's no longer a subscription fee, I'd be really surprised if they'd let a single game key create multiple accounts.
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yeah. I'm guessing, so, take this with a grain or twenty of salt, but I don't think ESO will work with that unless ZoS specifically goes out of their way to work with it. The problem is, even for the console release, you're going to need to set up an account, and I don't think you can log into the same account on the same server multiple times. I know you can log into the NA and PTS servers simultaneously, and I think you can sign in on the EU server along with them. But that's about the extent of multiple log ins from the same account.

Since there's no longer a subscription fee, I'd be really surprised if they'd let a single game key create multiple accounts.

The thing am banking on is its done the same way FF:RR does it. You download the game and it makes the game from your PSN account. So because we have two different PSN accounts we will each have are own ESO account. We was worried about destiny too but they did it like that too fortunately.

Edit: If the want to sell crowns on the PSN store they will have to do it by PSN account too, so there's that at least.
    Edited by liammozzb16_ESO on April 7, 2015 1:23AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I don't think a few people realize that PS4 sharing is a feature specific to the ps4
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original idea of the features that allow "game-sharing" was to allow a person or household who has multiple systems the ability to download one game on as many as five different consoles, by having up to 5 'active' consoles attached to their account. Because of this, players were swapping their PSN accounts with other players, activating their PS3s under different PSN IDs and downloading other's games. Thus, game-sharing was born.

This policy was changed back in 2011 to only allow 2 active PS3s to be associated with a PSN-ID at a time. There was never any "official" reason for this change. It just happened, but we all know it was to cut down on game-sharing. The ability to activate multiple systems is to allow households the freedom to use the same software on multiple systems, not to allow users to give their PSN credentials to their friends so they can play a piece of software at no cost to them.

The Playstation Network License Agreement:

"GRANT OF LICENSE. The Software is licensed to you, not sold. After the authorized release date and upon installation of the Software, Licensor grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Software for personal use on your PlayStation® system (e.g., PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, PlayStation®Vita system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and all other current and future PlayStation® systems). ... This license does not include the right to, and you agree not to (a) rent, lease or sublicense the Software or make it available on a network to other users ..."
    http://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/softwarelicense/

Additionally, under the Terms of Service users agree to:

"8. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS : Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through SEN First Party Services are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of Authorized Devices in the country in which your account is registered."
    http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/terms-of-service/

So, it's pretty apparent that game-sharing isn't in-line with the software license agreement or the terms of service, and that is what makes it piracy.

Now, PS4 has the same restrictions that the PS3 has, but has an additional component of having to assign a PS4 as a "primary" PS4. I haven't played around with this personally since I've just been using remote play, my vita, and a Playstation TV to share my PS4 functionality around my house. I assume only the primary PS4 would be able to download the software but then that PS4 could be made secondary and it should still be able to still play the game.

Pertaining to the ESO client, I believe users will be able to download the software to another PS4, as mentioned above, but each user account still needs to have a specific software key associated with it and I don't think the OP and his friend will be able to create two accounts with one software key.

My straightforward advice from one adult to what I should be able to assume is another adult (rated M and all)... just be an adult about it, pony up the $60, support the game and don't try to cheat ZOS or Sony out of money that you should be rightfully giving them.
    Edited by Gidorick on April 7, 2015 2:04AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't oen or use aPS4 but I did see them advertise "sharing" a PS4 game with this feature to friends at other consoles. I think your information is inaccurate about PS4 share.
    http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9993/~/share-play-on-ps4-and-how-it-works
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a COMPLETELY different thing @NewBlacksmurf. That allows a player, playing on another PS4, to play the game you are playing at the time you are playing it. It's kind of like remote play and the game isn't being downloaded on the friends PS4, it's being streamed.

They call it "Share Play" and it's actually a pretty cool feature, and it's pretty new.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The original idea of the features that allow "game-sharing" was to allow a person or household who has multiple systems the ability to download one game on as many as five different consoles, by having up to 5 'active' consoles attached to their account. Because of this, players were swapping their PSN accounts with other players, activating their PS3s under different PSN IDs and downloading other's games. Thus, game-sharing was born.

This policy was changed back in 2011 to only allow 2 active PS3s to be associated with a PSN-ID at a time. There was never any "official" reason for this change. It just happened, but we all know it was to cut down on game-sharing. The ability to activate multiple systems is to allow households the freedom to use the same software on multiple systems, not to allow users to give their PSN credentials to their friends so they can play a piece of software at no cost to them.

"GRANT OF LICENSE. The Software is licensed to you, not sold. After the authorized release date and upon installation of the Software, Licensor grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Software for personal use on your PlayStation® system (e.g., PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, PlayStation®Vita system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and all other current and future PlayStation® systems). ... This license does not include the right to, and you agree not to (a) rent, lease or sublicense the Software or make it available on a network to other users ..."

"8. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS : Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through SEN First Party Services are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of Authorized Devices in the country in which your account is registered."

So, it's pretty apparent that game-sharing isn't in-line with the software license agreement or the terms of service, and that is what makes it piracy.

Now, PS4 has the same restrictions that the PS3 has, but has an additional component of having to assign a PS4 as a "primary" PS4. I haven't played around with this personally since I've just been using remote play, my vita, and a Playstation TV to share my PS4 functionality around my house. I assume only the primary PS4 would be able to download the software but then that PS4 could be made secondary and it should still be able to still play the game.

Pertaining to the ESO client, I believe users will be able to download the software to another PS4, as mentioned above, but each user account still needs to have a specific software key associated with it and I don't think the OP and his friend will be able to create two accounts with one software key.

My straightforward advice from one adult to what I should be able to assume is another adult (rated M and all)... just be an adult about it, pony up the $60, support the game and don't try to cheat ZOS or Sony out of money that you should be rightfully giving them.

Anyone signed in as me can download the game. The catch is if your not the primary you have to be signed into my account and be online to play the game. So at most only 2 people can use the game at once. One person on the primary under a diffrent PSN account from mine and one signed into my account with an active internet connection.

Between the two of us we around £1200 plus PS+ fees.

I am signing in from a playstation that isn't mine to play my games. The other person is using my playstation to play games that are on it. Where not doing anything wrong.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a COMPLETELY different thing @NewBlacksmurf. That allows a player, playing on another PS4, to play the game you are playing at the time you are playing it. It's kind of like remote play and the game isn't being downloaded on the friends PS4, it's being streamed.

They call it "Share Play" and it's actually a pretty cool feature, and it's pretty new.

Isn't this what the OP is asking?

"Will ESO work the same way as any other ps4 game or will needing an account result in both of us having to buy are own copy?"

Or did I read wrong....Title of the post "PS4 game sharing"
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 7, 2015 2:22AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone signed in as me can download the game. The catch is if your not the primary you have to be signed into my account and be online to play the game. So at most only 2 people can use the game at once. One person on the primary under a diffrent PSN account from mine and one signed into my account with an active internet connection.

Between the two of us we around £1200 plus PS+ fees.

I am signing in from a playstation that isn't mine to play my games. The other person is using my playstation to play games that are on it. Where not doing anything wrong.

Is the other person your legal dependent? If not, you are acting against the license agreement and the Terms of Service agreement... you can "think" it's not against the TOS all you want but if you're honest with yourself you know it is. Now, Sony knows people use the PSN functionality like you are and they aren't going to do anything about it.

Since the official terms of service isn't enough for you to see past your own self-assuring perception of your actions, nothing I say will be able to sway you.

Your question about playing two people playing ESO with only one person paying for the game is answered with the following.

"I don't know. You're just going to have to try it, but I wouldn't bet on you both being able to play at the same time."
    Edited by Gidorick on April 7, 2015 2:32AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Will ESO work the same way as any other ps4 game or will needing an account result in both of us having to buy are own copy?"

He's talking about using his account to log into another person's PS4 to download digital software using his account. He can keep his account associated with that PS4 and that PS4 can play that game.

So lets say you own a PS4 and you download... Farcry 4 digitally. You come over my house, sign onto my PS4 with your PSN account, go to your download list and download Farcry 4 on my PS4. Then you go home and I can then log into my PSN account and play your copy of Farcry 4 on my PS4 and you can still play your copy of Farcry 4 on your PS4 also.

One purchase... two people have "copies". This feature is intended (as outlined in the TOS) for an individual and their dependents (I.E. household), but people use it to share games.

If you kept your password "remembered" on my PS4, I could go into your PSN account whenever I wanted, go to your download list, and download any game you've bought because I am, at that point, acting AS you. If I put my PSN credentials on your PS4, you could do the same with what I have purchased.

This is what the OP is doing. You can tell because he references being able to do this on the PS3 and PS3 doesn't have the "Share Play" function you mentioned before.

Now, does ESO work with Share Play? I dunno! I'd love to find out though. But that's an entirely different question.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He's talking about using his account to log into another person's PS4 to download digital software using his account. He can keep his account associated with that PS4 and that PS4 can play that game.

So lets say you own a PS4 and you download... Farcry 4 digitally. You come over my house, sign onto my PS4 with your PSN account, go to your download list and download Farcry 4 on my PS4. Then you go home and I can then log into my PSN account and play your copy of Farcry 4 on my PS4 and you can still play your copy of Farcry 4 on your PS4 also.

One purchase... two people have "copies". This feature is intended (as outlined in the TOS) for an individual and their dependents (I.E. household), but people use it to share games.

If you kept your password "remembered" on my PS4, I could go into your PSN account whenever I wanted, go to your download list, and download any game you've bought because I am, at that point, acting AS you. If I put my PSN credentials on your PS4, you could do the same with what I have purchased.

This is what the OP is doing. You can tell because he references being able to do this on the PS3 and PS3 doesn't have the "Share Play" function you mentioned before.

Now, does ESO work with Share Play? I dunno! I'd love to find out though. But that's an entirely different question.

So not my interpretation. Gotcha.
    It sounds like the Xbox one sharing feature where anyone can play my Xbox one games and xbl gold if any Xbox user signs into the console designated as my home Xbox.

If it's by design...not sure it's wrong. Just saying

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So not my interpretation. Gotcha.
    It sounds like the Xbox one sharing feature where anyone can play my Xbox one games and xbl gold if any Xbox user signs into the console designated as my home Xbox.

If it's by design...not sure it's wrong. Just saying

I'm just gong by what the TOS says. :sunglasses:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    How do people have a £300+ console and yet forking out for a game creates moths from wallets??
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Milktray wrote: »
    How do people have a £300+ console and yet forking out for a game creates moths from wallets??

£50 a game we buy one game each a month usually.

So it's about £600 a year each sorry
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    So buy less games, get them in deals .. buying a console knowing the costs then saying it's to expensive .. not really the companies fault.
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So buy less games, get them in deals .. buying a console knowing the costs then saying it's to expensive .. not really the companies fault.

Go quote me saying it's expensive. Oh wait you can't because I didn't.
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭

So you were saying £600 is fine, oh ok then :-)

In that case apologies
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's expensive

...wait, I'm not doing this right, am I? :p

I'll be honest, I've literally never heard that idiom before.
  • Aiden_Warren
    Game sharing is piracy.
    a lot of people in this new gen are mis understanding what game share is.
    think back in old school gaming, Playstation 2, i have some games and you borrow them.
    get it now?
    as for when PS3 arrived and the feature of putting games on the Hard Drive, Sony is kind enough to have support for Game Share "Borrow", so Borrowing would be the "old school" word for it.

people don't understand and constantly argues thinking it's sharing the PSN Account to play their games, no it's not.
    It's logging in your PSN Account and play the games on the Hard Drive. You don't have to log on their PSN Account, it's the same thing as Borrowing, but it's complicated for people in this generation to understand because it's installed on the Hard Drive, and not a Disc to actually share it.

Edited by Aiden_Warren on June 10, 2015 11:04PM