Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mages Guild Quests require certain guild level still?

mitchav66
mitchav66
✭✭✭
Do you guys know if you still have to be a certain level in the mages guild skill tree to start the next quest in the questline? When I stopped playing about 9 months ago this was still a thing.
Check out my video on the Top 20 Things ESO NEEDS (In My Opinion)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlmLyIuJFA

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would it not work that way?
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Vexian
    Vexian
    ✭✭
    Actually now they changed the way all solo dungeons work (including the mages and fighters guild). Now all solo dungeons scale to your current level so it doesn't matter what level you complete them.

And as far as I could tell. Once you comete one quest in one of the guild quest lines I believe that they will give you the next one right away. You will just need to travel to the next zone's major city to talk to the guild representative to continue the quest chain.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vexian wrote: »
    And as far as I could tell. Once you comete one quest in one of the guild quest lines I believe that they will give you the next one right away. You will just need to travel to the next zone's major city to talk to the guild representative to continue the quest chain.

I started playing with Tamriel unlimited and didnt know bout the lorebooks at first. That caused the magesguild to trigger only when I got the right rank. But as you don't need to read a lot of books to gain ranks, it is fairly easy. I played in DC and got the fightersguild quest 2 right when I finished the first. the second mages guild quest was added bout the time I was ready to leave Glenumbra and went into Stormhaven. so well in time before reaching wayrest for both (but not directly after finishing the first)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »
    Why would it not work that way?

I have never seen a link between guild level and getting the quests, as @Vexian says they're now level-scaled but in the past I well remember getting them when so low they were orange or even red at the time I got them. If they are triggered by Mages rank then it must be damned low because I rarely bother actively looking for the 'blue glowy books' and I've never had problems progressing the quest chains.
  • Glierhuin
    Glierhuin
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the requirement for "Mad God's Bargain" is guild level 5. Had a character that couldn't seem to get that quest until I collected some more lorebooks and reached Mage's Guild level 5. That was some months ago though.
    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no level requirement for the Mages Guild, I can get the quest at L4 if I read the board and take the Guild Invite and then talk to them. However the first quest is L8, IIRC. They may have changed this with 1.6 to L6 before you can get that quest. But that would be a scheme to stop bots more than anything else. Which is why we have an enforced L6 requirement on Crafting Writs now.

The only real level requirement is being able to get to the zone you need to in order to do the quest.

Also, while the quests do level to the player, they still have a starting level that is there no matter what the character is. I recently finished the Mages Guild at L28 on a character, and most of the quests were above my character level. Those last quests were L35 or L40.
    Edited by Nestor on April 6, 2015 4:41PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people are confusing character level and skill level. The OP is asking if you still have to have, as an example, Mage Guild Level 5 to get the third quest in the quest line. (I honestly don't remember what the requirements were, so I just pulled some numbers out of a hat.)

So if you're not Mage Guild Level 5, do you still have to go hunt down a few lore books before you can accept the quest.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • mitchav66
    mitchav66
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you guys arent grasping what Im asking. Before, you had to be like mages guild level 3 to start the third quest in the mages guild. I'm asking if that is still a thing?
    Check out my video on the Top 20 Things ESO NEEDS (In My Opinion)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlmLyIuJFA

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    mitchav66 wrote: »
    Yes you guys arent grasping what Im asking. Before, you had to be like mages guild level 3 to start the third quest in the mages guild. I'm asking if that is still a thing?

Yes it is. I'm new to the game, so I'm unspoiled bout how things where. I started playing march 16, 2015.

I did the quest Nemarc's invitation and reached mages guild level one as a reward. I then did the quest Long Lost Lore at level 10. Afterwards, the reward was given, but that was it. Then in camlorn I read a book that gave me the message that I reached mages level 2. at the same time a mage appeared giving me a quest to visit Valaste in Wayrest. I did not level up at that time and I didn't finish any map quest. I only read a book.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most skill lines are leveled by having the weapon\armor equipped or skill loaded on your skill bar and getting normal exp from kill monsters or handing in quests that exp is also shared to the skills lines so they level up.

But there are some exceptions.
    Mage Skill line levels from finding and reading rare books (the ones that glow blue)
    Fighter Skill line levels from killing undead and daedra
    Undaunted skill line levels from daily pledges and dungeon based achievements
    Werewolf skill line levels from kills while in werewolf form