Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Skill Books

KefkaGestahl
KefkaGestahl
✭✭✭
I tried searching around but it's surprising how muddled the information on skill books is. I've been leveling all of my skills without ever reading a skill book. I planned on saving the skill books up until I get a few of the tougher skills *cough* enchanting *cough* up to 45 or so before I begin to read them.

Does it actually work that way? A lot of people seem - or seemed, at least - to believe that skill books only worked for certain skill levels.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know it should work fine that way. The trouble is you can't really save them up since they are on random bookshelves and once you read them finding another copy won't give you another level. You'd basically have to avoid reading anything at all until you get all your skill levels where you want them, then go searching out bookshelves until you manage to get all the skill books done.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oldest trick in the book for TES games: don't read anything until you are high level in all skills. The value of +1 skill point at skill level 40 is a lot higher than at skill level 1. Resist the urge to click on bookshelves until you reach VR zones.
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on April 6, 2015 9:23AM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every bookshelf has a random change of a skill book.
    Theses skills books are linked to a random skills
    BUT you can only ever get 10 skill points from skill books for a given skill, after that, if that the random skill point at the time from that bookshelf, nothing happens.

So yes, saving them for later levels is always good.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never bothered trying to save them for higher levels. Other than say Enchanting, which you don't need to level past 40 anyway, most skills increase as they need to just by playing the game. Heck even Enchanting does if your obsessive about deconning glyphs you get and do some farming of the mobs that drop them. So, I hit every book shelf I see when I first get to a zone, then ignore them once I feel I have all the books for that zone.

There are only a certain number of skill books in each zone, which means you would have to go back to zone 1 to read those, then zone 2 etc if you were to wait. Of course if your doing this in the VR Ranks, so that can work with the strategy of waiting.

The problems with waiting in my mind is, mid level skill increase are much more important to unlocking useful skills than the last 5, which usually only unlock the last passive for that skill line. I would rather get the skills up into the 30's as quickly as possible so they are useful to me.

Edited by Nestor on April 6, 2015 10:57PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont't confuse the skill books with mages lore books. Those are indeed spread per zones.
    Lore books don't give skillpoints, they raise your mages guild level.

Skill books are not bound to a zone. Any shelf in any house, dungeon, cave can have any book in it.
    The book will be "generated" when the zone/instance is opened. And that changes after a while.
    Enter mages guild today, get skillpoint for bow. Enter tomorrow get skillpoint for light amor and
    enchanting. Enter next day get nothing. There are ayleid ruins that have 50 shelves in it.
    Shelves are random, books are random. If you get a skillbook you already know, you won't get another point
    for it.

After mages quest line you get the perfect memory, so you can just look up what books are missing.
    Or read those lore books again. Or those little postcards or diarys...

Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill books are not bound to a zone.

Unless something changed post 1.6/2.0, there are a certain number of skill books in each zone. This is evidenced by how many books you find the first few hours in a zone vs the last few hours in a zone. Every time I enter a new zone, I go to the Mages Guild and other book shelf populated places. I scour the bookshelves as I go along. I get a bunch of skill books right away. After a while I get one every once in a while to none at all in that zone. Once I get to the next zone, go the Mages, start getting skill books again.

If the skill books were spread across the game equally and randomly, I would expect that finding the skill books would be harder across zones 4 and 5 as I would have found most of them by then.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RollDodger
    RollDodger
    ✭✭
    we need gather al linfo about it

how many books for any skillline
    zome bound or not
    etcetc

any1 know more info?