The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Black Vampires

Earthwardzilvox_ESO
I'd love to be able to roll a redguard vampire without turning into an imperial in the process, or a dunmer vampire turning into altmer. I'd also like my body paint and tatoos not to change color. While it is "lore friendly" for vampires to turn pale, it's a feature of elder scrolls games that turns people away from vamprism. There are plenty of visual indicators including fangs, a gaunt appearance, red eyes, bulging veins, and sunken eyes. Plus, in ESO there are no sun penalties, so pale skin doesn't make much sense.

Akasha-Queen-Of-The-Damned-vampires-18597204-2560-1694.jpg
Image Related: Akasha from Queen of the Damned
Bright light casts a long shadow
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    you could have used a picture of Blade instead of referencing the Twilight prequels
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could have used a picture of Blade instead of referencing the Twilight prequels

I'm not sure if I want to light you on fire, high five you, or both.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My baby DK vamp has this to say about your conundrum
    i-like-fire-but-i-prefer-blood.jpg
    Edited by stimpy986b14_ESO on April 2, 2015 1:09AM
  • Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually completely agree with this, because honestly, it's a ridiculous amount of appearance change, especially when you should be able to pass for normal most of the time--even according to the game's own lore. I'm hesitant to turn vamp on any of my characters even though I really, REALLY want to, and I'd like to not have to consider so much how they will look after they turn...I put way too much time into my initial character creation to let them turn into some sickly relative of the Pilsbury Doughboy. D:

I understand there need to be indicators, but do they have to be that incredibly obvious? It's not obvious that someone's a werewolf until they wolf out, so vamps should at least be able to remain almost completely normal-looking when fully fed. Preferably there could be some other changes too--like you said, Redguards should not turn into Imperials or Bretons just because they become vampires.
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
  • Hayuru
    Hayuru
    ✭✭
    I never liked the vampire skin changes in TES. I've never been one (without mods) because of that.
  • nova.terratrb14_ESO
    I like it as is. There should be a drawback, being it fire damage or visual.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will say no since you used twilight picture and proves anyyone who is a vampire just did it cause of twilight.

And vampires always go a little pale, unless you count the buggerfall ones well elder scrolls 2...you just got big noticeable fangs and blood on your picture.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well to be fair that was the hollywood version. The book describes Akasha as "Akasha was a beautiful young woman who was "almost too pretty to be truly beautiful". She had light-dark skin that was very smooth. There were no visible veins present in her face; even her lips had no creases in them. She had light green/blue eyes, peach lips, ebony waist length hair"

With the author stating the perfect Akasha would be actress Eva Green....but yeah Blade would have been a better example. and I understand OP's point.

How un-Redguard do they look after vamping out? Just curious
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that there should be a drawback. That drawback should be the fire damage.

It just doesn't make sense to make vampires change that much visually, because then they'd be super easy to spot in a crowd and destroy. Vampires are supposed to be able to blend in with the rest of society--yes, even in Elder Scrolls. At least, according to the way they discuss vampires in-game, not how they've made player character vampires look.

Hell, I remember that one rich vampire guy in Oblivion...you did some quests for him. He really did look absolutely normal until the end of the quest. I believe it was the quest for the Boots of Springheel Jak. Supposedly no one "knew" that he was a vampire (there may have been a servant of his that knew, I can't remember) because he was able to blend in. If all vampires in the Elder Scrolls universe looked like they do in ESO, there'd be no vampires left, because they couldn't hide where their food source lives.
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a side note on vampire changes, why do wood elf irises have to morph into human irises when they become vamps. It would seem like a relatively easy thing just to apply a red tint over the existing eye texture rather than replacing it all together making my woodelf look like he had eye-ball transplants.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you read the Anne Rice novels you wouldn't think they are Twilight prequels with the amount of death, destruction, blood and definite sun burning!!!

In fact even Akasha turned pale as a statue after thousands of years. Some of the older vampires which could withstand the sun for a few -minutes- used it to sort of roast their skin to appear darker.
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the...

Why is everyone saying Anne Rice's books are Twilight prequels? Sure they have Vampires in them.. but so do loads of other books.

As somewhat of an Anne Rice fan i am quite peeved by this.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anne Rice couldn't be further From the dismal Twilight Books - her stories were rich with history about the lore of vampires not a sappy love story with twinkling vamps!
    Edited by Aimora on April 2, 2015 6:58AM
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All this Twilight dribble tells me that these people are still very young and have had little exposure to other vampire books and films, especially those where the vampires are portrayed as evil, etc. this Twilight nonsense is rubbish. My main is based more on the tall, aristocratic and utterly evil Christopher Lee's Dracula of the 70's, not some silly, sparkling angsty American teenager.

On the topic, khajiits also shouldn't really change colour, except noses, eyes and paw-pads. Just as a black-haired humanoid doesn't suddenly go grey, neither should a khajiit. The skin goes pale, but hair and fur shouldn't.
    Edited by AlienSlof on April 2, 2015 10:17AM
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think we should gradually regain our skin tone with each stage of vampirism. very near what we had at character creation at stage one, then we get paler and paler as we go. The appearence change is rather ridiculous. In lore, while at stage 1,2, and 3 people couldnt tell you were a vampire. (morrowind clans/strains excluded)

why are we so different. Yes its a different strain, but the eso varient comes straight from the 1st, lamea. Why do we have to sacrifice so many of our character creation options when no other strain has. Yes some changes are a given, but to the degree when a green argonian turns white, a redguard becomes imperial, a altmer to falmer, even dunmer to falmer.

please, zos, please make some sensible appearence changes to the vampire to increase immersion.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Queen of the Dammned comes from the third novel of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles series.

Don't mean to be a stickler, but man... The Vampire Chronicles and Twilight are worlds apart in quality. I'm thinking he wants a Redguard Vamp to look more like Aaaliyah did in the wayward film based off of that novel:

Queen-Of-The-Damned-aaliyah-24424977-1280-720.jpg
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evandus wrote: »
    Queen of the Dammned comes from the third novel of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles series.

Don't mean to be a stickler, but man... The Vampire Chronicles and Twilight are worlds apart in quality. I'm thinking he wants a Redguard Vamp to look more like Aaaliyah did in the wayward film based off of that novel

yeah, anne rice's vampires are leagues better in my book to the twilight vampires.

still though, the best depiction of vampires comes from the anime Hellsing Ultimate. Blood is the currency of the soul, by inbibing blood, the vampire takes the soul of its victem into itself, allowing it to prolong and repair itself at the sacrifice of the souls. Alucard (dracula) in that anime had over 3million souls within him, and could summon them as familiers.

obviously eso cant do that, but a little raise dead at the cost of healt (aka blood) would go along way to help immersion.
  • htoncic
    htoncic
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, Akasha from the well-known Twilight films. Folks, if you're this ignorant, please refrain from commenting. The OP makes a good argument.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    htoncic wrote: »
    LOL, Akasha from the well-known Twilight films. Folks, if you're this ignorant, please refrain from commenting. The OP makes a good argument.

I'm certain that's why the OP is referencing an image from the adaptation of the third film of the Vampire Chronicles.

Nice try bud ;)

• Earthwardzilvox_ESO

Hey, don't compare twilight to Queen of the Damned! They might both have portrayed vampires as sensual, but Queen of the Damned did it like adults, as opposed to horny teenagers.

It's a sad state of affairs that twilight is all people can see in vampires these days. There are so many other vampire stories, and even though Akasha has no relation to Twilight, people assumed just because she's a vampire.
    How un-Redguard do they look after vamping out? Just curious
    I look albino white with a tint of purple. I think I was using the darkest skin available to redguards, before becoming a vampire.
    Edited by Earthwardzilvox_ESO on April 3, 2015 5:51AM
    Bright light casts a long shadow
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, don't compare twilight to Queen of the Damned! They might both have portrayed vampires as sensual, but Queen of the Damned did it like adults, as opposed to horny teenagers. Also, no sparkles.

i liked the anne rice movies. They may not have followed the books, but they were good movies, and they portrayed vampires as what they are, monsters, as they should be. not whiney sparkling little *** that cry about their immortality.

Vampires are monsters, doesnt mean they are evil, but they are not human, you cant tack on human morals to something that isnt human.
  • htoncic
    htoncic
    ✭✭✭

I'm certain that's why the OP is referencing an image from the adaptation of the third film of the Vampire Chronicles.

Nice try bud ;)

I thought there were only 2 films. But anyway, if you know where the image is from, what exactly is confusing you?
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think the confusion is the fact that it is the 2nd film based on the 3rd novel :)
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭

Nice try bud ;)

I thought there were only 2 films. But anyway, if you know where the image is from, what exactly is confusing you?

Third novel I intended to say. Either way, your attitude is ridiculous. And my point still stands ;)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen Queen of the Damned (I was advised that as I like the books I should avoid the 2nd film because all the changes would just make me angry, that and the one time it was on I fell asleep) but I thought it was an abridged version of both the 2nd and 3rd books.

I'm not sure why people are referring to it as a Twilight prequel though. Unless we've now reached a point where people think anything that portrays vampires as anything but mindless killing machines was building up to Twilight. In which case the real blame lies firmly with Bram Stoker, before him vampires and zombies were largely interchangeable, the only real difference being that one ate flesh and the other drank blood. And as much as I hate to admit it Joss Whedon is probably also responsible for giving people ideas.

But Anne Rice is definitely not. Yes she wrote novels where the vampires are the main characters, and they acted very human a lot of the time but they also (with one exception) regularly killed and ate people with little/no remorse and in all other respects were classical vampires. Nothing like the absurdly watered down Twilight version.

Anyway, back to ESO. My understanding is that vampires are supposed to look exactly like they did when they were alive when they've fed recently and look like they're dead (or extremely ill and half starved) when they haven't. So a vampire redguard should look like a dead redguard, not so pale as to be a different race.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • htoncic
    htoncic
    ✭✭✭

Nice try bud ;)

Third novel I intended to say. Either way, your attitude is ridiculous. And my point still stands ;)

My attitude is ridiculous in the sense that I ridicule people who don't even know who Akasha is, meaning they are un-informed on this topic and can therefore give no valid input, and yet saw themselves fit to deride the OP. And what is your point, exactly?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to agree. Visuals should turn some people away. It has to do with the overall aesthetic of the curse. It's part of the choice.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »

Going to agree. Visuals should turn some people away. It has to do with the overall aesthetic of the curse. It's part of the choice.

thats not the issue with me. with me its lore. no other TES game turned every race stark white when turned.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thats not the issue with me. with me its lore. no other TES game turned every race stark white when turned.

This is also a brand new disease, with different effects. Given the suspension of disbelief to allow for that, other alterations to how the curse changes your body should come hand in hand.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is also a brand new disease, with different effects. Given the suspension of disbelief to allow for that, other alterations to how the curse changes your body should come hand in hand.

i find it difficult to believe that with well over 6 known vampire strains in TES, that its only this one that turns characters stark white.