Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Focus on proffessions early game?

MentalMidget
Hello i have this problem im one of those persons who remake new characters all the time, and most of the time i want to level up my professions aswell and mostly its the stuff that takes the longest time for me. but is it better to wait until higher levels to start crafting stuff and just focus on gathering and leveling early on? and just stick to research and sell the rest to vendors? any1 have a good tips for professions?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really up to you, if you work on crafting as you level, you can usually level it as fast (or faster) than you level.. therefore you will be able to craft all your own goods.

On the other hand, if you wait and sell everything early on.. you will probably gatther up a gold savings much quicker (Although that could possibly be spent quickly on purchasing crafted items you cant make)

Up to you :) I preferred levelling crafting as I go, but I do know other who waited.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a mats point of view, it makes sense to level as you go. You will have easy access to the mats at your level. If you wait, you will either have to buy mats for lower levels, or back track to lower zones to find them. It's much easier to find level appropriate runes and recipes as you work your way through a zone in particular. For all the other crafts, it's relatively easy to find or buy mats at a later level. If I did it over, I would start with Provisioning and Enchanting for this reason. Do the writs for them every day.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your biggest problem if you wait is inventory management if you're hoarding materials, especially Provisioning, Alchemy and Enchanting.

One thing to consider is that for crafts like smithing, the mats you get from deconstruction are based on your character level, not crafting level: my smith at 24 never got any ingots from, say, Ebony items from Coldharbour even when his skill was 50, he only started getting them when his character level was into the 30s.

That said, if you can get enough mats from harvesting that's not a problem, you'll get enhancement items and trait/race gems just not any base mats.

Also, there is no benefit at all leveling a skill past 40 which is where you unlock the final tier on the last passive.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 1, 2015 7:49AM
  • MentalMidget
    Probably better then to use em as i go then :)

but is there any specific guidelines for crafting for example
    if ur level 15 u should have level 20 in all your skills or something like that, so i can easily see if i sell to much so i dont need to buy any mats later on or go back to lower lvl area to farm.

thanks for your inputs tho :blush:
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your main focus I would say is unlocking the ability to make gear or consumables you can use at your current level and slightly ahead, that in turn dictates the minimum skill level you need to keep pace while leveling your character.

Profession skill level is entirely independent of your character level so your focus is on what skill level you need to unlock craft abilities alone, along with the availability of Skill Points .. except for the deconstruction issue I mentioned before.

In fact the Skill Point issue is one which you may have to juggle with, as 1-50 you'll be wanting to unlock and morph class/gear skills at the same time as needing to spend SPs on crafting, at times you'll have to decide between one or the other until you get some spare SPs: note even at level 2 you can get probably a dozen Skill Points simply by visiting over-world Skyshards in your 5 faction zones if you want to spend a few hours skulking around (and dying a bit) to reach them.

Keep in mind that my comments are based on my use of crafting, which is to be self-sufficient as far as possible while I level, I rarely use crafting in MMOs as a means of earning in-game currency, those players who focus on that aspect of the game will give you different advice based on the market value of crafted items rather than their utility to your own characters.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 1, 2015 1:44PM
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At the very least, I would recommend that you start researching traits.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i did and it worked REALLY well. is sold all white gear (traitless) and deconed green and up. I had 60k by the time i was V1 and had cloth/wood/smithing to 50.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but is it better to wait until higher levels to start crafting stuff and just focus on gathering and leveling early on? and just stick to research and sell the rest to vendors? any1 have a good tips for professions?

Nice thing about Crafting is you can prepare yourself to be a crafter without sacrificing your character's prowess or a major nerfing your own crafting progression. You should start researching as soon as possible as that takes the longest. Also, be smart about the researching. Powerful crafted sets can be made with just two or three traits known. So, make sure you know two traits on everything you will use before you start researching the third trait. Yes, you can ignore this from time to time, but you want to build up your trait knowledge evenly. What you don't' want to do is start a 2 week research when you still need to know the second trait on a chest piece.

Then, decon whatever you don't want to sell or keep for research. You will gain crafting inspiration from doing this and the research. You can use up just a few skill points to help you with these two things before you make anything.

Then once you have the points to spare for crafting skills, you have the base knowledge and skills to use.

Also, what some people will do is get a character up to level 15 to 20, then respec those points into crafting. This usually gets you enough points to flesh out an entire crafting line, if not two.

Don't worry about leveling Alchemy and Provisioning, you can level those up in one gaming session if you have enough raw mats and a few recipes. Only Enchanting, and Armor/Weapon crafting takes the time.

Edited by Nestor on April 1, 2015 2:13PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"