The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Launcher woes

Valymer
Valymer
✭✭✭✭✭
So I was following this Knowledge Base article because I couldn't enter the game due to this:

1e6u7o.png

After deleting the three version files mentioned in the article, now the launcher button says "Install," just like the KB article said might happen.

The article says to click Install, wait for something to start downloading, then restart the launcher.

The problem is that clicking Install gives this error:

24zj8g5.png

The launcher must be checking the C: drive for space, and indeed there is very little space left on it. But ESO isn't installed on that drive, it is installed on a different SSD which actually has plenty of available space to install.

So how do I tell the launcher to install to a different drive? I don't see how to specify it in usersettings.txt. And there is no way to free up enough space on C:. And unless I can get past this, I can't play ESO at all. It seems that the bugs have finally gotten so bad as to completely prevent me from playing the game.
Edited by Valymer on March 31, 2015 2:24PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The manifest error message and the accompanying "repair" button represent a bug in the launcher. Do not hit the "repair" button, instead close the launcher and re-open it (more than once if necessary) until you get the "play" button. It happens after every patch and goes away again a couple of days or so later. It frustrates me that ZOS haven't acknowledged this despite many people posting it after every patch and instead insist on maintaining the nonsense that is in the Knowledge Base for this particular error.

I don't know how to switch installation drives, but it may be worth either closing and re-opening the launcher a few times to see if that fixes things or alternatively running the ESO launcher in the game folder.
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The manifest error message and the accompanying "repair" button represent a bug in the launcher. Do not hit the "repair" button, instead close the launcher and re-open it (more than once if necessary) until you get the "play" button. It happens after every patch and goes away again a couple of days or so later. It frustrates me that ZOS haven't acknowledged this despite many people posting it after every patch and instead insist on maintaining the nonsense that is in the Knowledge Base for this particular error.

I don't know how to switch installation drives, but it may be worth either closing and re-opening the launcher a few times to see if that fixes things or alternatively running the ESO launcher in the game folder.

Thanks Tandor. I actually just realized that I can restore those deleted files from the Recycle Bin, and doing so allowed me to open the launcher and click "Play," starting the game normally.

I had this particular manifest error yesterday as well, but at that time restarting the launcher a few times fixed it. Today though, no amount of restarting the launcher would get me past the "Repair" button to the "Play" button, although truthfully I probably should have just waited a short time and tried again rather than followed anything in Zenimax's KB.

Sigh.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly early this morning I posted a complete HowTo deal with this patcher problem, but it got deleted from the other launcher related thread. :o

You have just to quit and restart the patcher everytime you get that error. Eventually it'll fetch the whole patch and will apply it with no problem so you'll be able to play.
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    Sadly early this morning I posted a complete HowTo deal with this patcher problem, but it got deleted from the other launcher related thread. :o

You have just to quit and restart the patcher everytime you get that error. Eventually it'll fetch the whole patch and will apply it with no problem so you'll be able to play.

Fair enough, thanks Vahrokh. I guess I was just being impatient.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

Most times that error report comes up the patch has been fully installed, but you may be prompted either to "repair" or "install" instead of "play". I've had both prompts today and closing/re-opening the launcher resulted in the "play" button appearing with no extra patching required. I've also run the game successfully today with the ESO application file in the game folder.
  • htoncic
    htoncic
    ✭✭✭
    Next time this happens, go to ESO\Launcher folder and delete the ProgramData folder. That'll do the trick.