The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

(Guide) Elder Scrolls Online Tweaks

Cazic
Cazic
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all!

I've put together a quick guide in order to help new players get the most out of their ESO experience.

Elder Scrolls Online Tweaks
This guide outlines several enhancements which can be applied to ESO through the use of addons and SweetFX. The purpose of this guide is to inform new or unfamiliar players about the benefits of these enhancements, and to provide a step-by-step process on how to apply them easily. This does not cover the full extent of customization possible using addons and/or SweetFX, but offers a quick breakdown for getting an improved user interface and a better looking game.

Addons
The combination of addons below offers a lot of useful features, while not being overly intrusive or straying too far away from the original UI.

Steps to Install Addons
  1. Click the addon name above
  2. Follow the Download link to download the file
  3. Open the file
  4. Extract the contents to your ESO addons directory (default: C:\Users\Name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns)
  5. Make sure the addons are enabled via the Addons menu in game
  • The above are just a few of the many addons available for ESO, more can be found here
  • Addons will need to be updated if there is a major patch released, but usually not for incremental patches
  • To uninstall an addon, simply delete its folder from your ESO addons directory

SweetFX
SweetFX offers graphical enhancements by forcing additional post processing effects. It is not officially supported, but is allowed by ZoS. The graphical benefits of SweetFX may decrease performance in game, so it's not necessarily recommended unless you're running fairly powerful and up to date hardware.

Steps to Install SweetFX
  1. Click Here to download the SweetFX 1.5 core files
  2. Open the file
  3. Extract the contents to your ESO game client directory (default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client)
  4. Click Here to download the "Neat Perfection" SweetFX preset for ESO
  5. Save the file as SweetFX_settings.txt in the same directory as above, overwriting the existing file
  • Click Here for before and after screen shots
  • Press the Scroll Lock key in game to toggle SweetFX on and off
  • Neat Perfection is just one of many SweetFX presets for ESO, more can be found here
  • To uninstall SweetFX for ESO, delete all of the files extracted in the above steps from your ESO game client directory

Resources

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

-C
  • zefs
    zefs
    Soul Shriven
    Nice post, thanks. I tried SweetFX 1.4 (windows 8.1) and radeon pro and although it works I can't see anything in character list or ingame (the shaders are not loading). Any idea how to fix it?
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zefs wrote: »
    Nice post, thanks. I tried SweetFX 1.4 (windows 8.1) and radeon pro and although it works I can't see anything in character list or ingame (the shaders are not loading). Any idea how to fix it?

I haven't done much with the Radeon Pro method, but I know others have reported issues using it with Win 8.1. It was required at one point, but not since 1.5. I'd recommend just extracting the SweetFX and preset files manually and not using Radeon Pro at all.

Hope that helps!
  • zefs
    zefs
    Soul Shriven
    I tried 1.5 as well like you said but that way it doesn't work at all. Will keep trying.
  • zefs
    zefs
    Soul Shriven
    Ok the issue was that SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" was set to D3D9 in UserSettings.txt - it works fine now.
  • yvanbroeckpreeb18_ESO
    I really would like to try SweetFX but for some reason my game crashes when I try to start it. It doesn't even get passed the splash screens since I put the SweetFX folder/files in the correct path
  • zefs
    zefs
    Soul Shriven
    Move sweetfx in another folder (e.g my documents) and use Radeon Pro, that's how I fixed my crash. I also used 1.4 cause the other versions weren't working.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would like to try SweetFX but for some reason my game crashes when I try to start it. It doesn't even get passed the splash screens since I put the SweetFX folder/files in the correct path

Hey, which version of SweetFX are you trying? I had that issue when trying 2.0, but 1.5 works just fine.
  • yvanbroeckpreeb18_ESO
    Cazic wrote: »

Hey, which version of SweetFX are you trying? I had that issue when trying 2.0, but 1.5 works just fine.

I was using the one provided in the original post. It said 'Fatal Error 16' in the description.

• danielzondervan.nlb16_ESO
    I can't get SweetFX to works, it just crashes
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using Windows 8.1?
  • danielzondervan.nlb16_ESO

Yes and Im using the progrm Radeonpro
    When I press END to toggle it on and off I see no difference at all... in fact it makes my game blurrry
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and Im using the progrm Radeonpro
    When I press END to toggle it on and off I see no difference at all... in fact it makes my game blurrry

Ah k. Did you try the method I suggested in the OP above, instead of using RadeonPro?