The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why doesn't Alchemy have hirelings?

KontrolledKhaos
KontrolledKhaos
✭✭✭
Every other crafting skill has hirelings, why not Alchemy as well?

It doesn't help that Alchemy is probably the hardest crafting skill to level, as it is literally the only crafting skill where you don't have the option of deconning or researching in order to level. Even with enchanting you can at least decon to level it. With alchemy, there's no other option other than grinding writs to level it, so it's probably the one crafting skill that would most benefit from having hirelings to help level.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, hirelings please.

You can level alchemy by making potions. Good news: it is not limited to writs. You need to farm flowers and water. All flowers are good, but i recommend to save most needed ones. It doesn't matter which potions you make. You need a stack of water at each level. I recommend you start by learning all the plants and their traits.

Then all you need to do is lots of potions. Check the skills occasionally. As soon as you can, put a point to first skill in alchemy and switch to higher level water.

Potion maker and Multicraft addons are your friends in this bubbly profession.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why grind writs? Just take one evening to farm flowers and craft potions. It actually levels up fairly quickly.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 26, 2015 11:07AM
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't help that Alchemy is probably the hardest crafting skill to level, as it is literally the only crafting skill where you don't have the option of deconning or researching in order to level. Even with enchanting you can at least decon to level it. With alchemy, there's no other option other than grinding writs to level it, so it's probably the one crafting skill that would most benefit from having hirelings to help level.

I don't understand that
    You get tons of inspiration for making potions.
    Therefore Alchemy is easily the cheapest craft right after provisioning
    to get a 50 in.

(But as there are no hirelings it makes no sense to skill more than 1 Char)

Nevertheless, in hope for Hirelings I actually skilled all my chars to at leastalchemy 12 so i can start with lv2 hirelings
    just in case <g>
  • Oliviax
    Oliviax
    I agree about the hirelings and am actually at a loss to see why this craft doesn't have them.

I don't, however, agree that Alchemy is the hardest craft to level (it was the first one I levelled to max)

Make sure you pick any and every flower and mushroom you pass and all water skins. Spend the skill points in the higher water levels as said above and craft potions using the ones you have most of.

You should maybe keep hold of bugloss, mountain flower and columbine as these are quite profitable to sell as stacks on their own and don't worry about discovery of all potions until you hit 50.

I think, iirc that namira's rot (needed for invisibility potions is very rare in zones earlier than Eastmarch, Alkiir Desert and Malabal Tor)

Good luck ☺️
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oliviax totally agree, in my experience it's second only to Provisioning in ease of leveling.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never have problems gathering all I need to level crafting and the main reason is because I rarely RIDE anywhere, I run all over the world and as I do so I find all the ore, timber and plants I need and even runes aren't often a problem for me.

People who jump on their horse from NPC to mob and from mob to NPC are often the ones I find who complain about lack of crafting mats .. odd, that. ;)
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy is actually very easy to level if you just brew potions from random herbs and whatever solvents you come by in your adventures. Make trash potions with strange and bad effects from impopular reagents and sell them to an NPC vendor for a nickel and you will get the skill to 50 very quickly, as long as you have access to the higher level solvents for leveling. (Making only level 1 potions to get the skill to 50 is not going to cut it.)

There are very few ingredients. Alchemy is the only craft where I don't need to spend half of my time managing my inventory. Furthermore, all the reagents you collect in low level areas remain useful for high level potions (you only need to change the solvent), you don't need recipes, and all useful reagent combinations remain valid from lvl 1 to VR14. A hireling would not be entirely useless, but it would probably be the least useful hireling in the game, and I doubt I would spend several skill points on it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An alternative to Hirelings would be a Gathering Passive.

L1 you get a slightly higher chance to get two Reagents
    L2 you get a better chance to get 2, and a small chance to get 3
    L3 you get 2 half the time with a better chance to get 3.

Or something like that
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Hireling please
  • TheRealDoc
    TheRealDoc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, agreed, but it is easy to level.
    1. Run around in a circle in the coldharbour city picking flowers for an hour.
    2. Run through a zone alongside the rivers/lakes appropriate to the level of water you can use for 30 mins.
    3. Craft your way to the next level.
    4. Repeat as necessary
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, with the exception of Namira's Rot, use Mushrooms for leveling as those mostly create potions you can't use anyway. That way you keep the useful Reagents for potions you will use.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the hirelings that ZOS can afford are already hard at work NOT delivering us gold mats now.... If these hirelings can't find a shiny gold mat, how are they supposed to find plants among all the green!
    NA Server - Kildair
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't help that Alchemy is probably the hardest crafting skill to level.

This comment just boggles my mind. Are you playing some other game? I am totally lazy and laid back about playing. I don't grind, I forget to do my crafting writs and I don't have time to play every day.

Alchemy and Provisioning are the two easiest fastest crafts to level.

I toy with the idea of alchemy hirelings - but the "good stuff" about alchemy so out-weighs the "good stuff" in other crafts, that I lean towards being happy they don't exist yet.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • HaljaNifheim
    HaljaNifheim
    ✭✭
    Alchemy has no Superior (blue), Artifact (purple), or Legendary (gold) materials at this time. Level is driven solely from the water type. Hirelings for the other professions are for the chance to get those blue/purple/gold items.
    --Halja
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LOL, this is a joke thread, right? Alchemy is the EASIEST to level by far. Even easier than provisioning, since you don't have to find recipes. You literally trip over the ingredients just walking around. Get a few stacks of cheap mats and water, and in a matter of minutes, voila, level 50. Slight exaggeration, but only slightly.

As to the hireling, Halja got it. There are no tempers, and that is what hirelings are meant for. Writs give more than hirelings for consumables anyway.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your willing to spend a little gold, some guild stores have stacks of flowers and materials for alchemy potions. id say buying 400 of two compatable flowers, also buy water as you level up, every 10 levels buy the next level in water. do that and youll have lvl 50 in an hour or so
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because, ZoS logic.

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Alchemist hirelings were all ruthlessly hunted down by Bosmer Green Pact fanatics... :wink:
    Edited by BenevolentBowd on March 27, 2015 4:22AM
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • sazodeha
    sazodeha
    ✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »

All of the hirelings that ZOS can afford are already hard at work NOT delivering us gold mats now.... If these hirelings can't find a shiny gold mat, how are they supposed to find plants among all the green!

Hey! Those hirelings work their ar$e off mailing that ONE potato!!!!
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It most certainly is not! It's a close second behind Provisioning at leveling speed! You can level it by simply crafting higher level items and putting skill points into the next level as soon as you can. It's also the only craft that literally provides you with JUNK materials that you can use to level the skill without wasting your good materials on leveling!
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    If you think Alchemy is hard to level try Enchanting. Alchemy is not had at all to level. The second you can apply a skill point to the next potency you do so and start crafting at that level. I leveled Alchemy to 50 in about 6 hours, Enchanting took about 10 days and I had almost all the items needed before hand to do both since I roamed Tamriel for the first 4 months of game play gathering the items.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    If you think Alchemy is hard to level try Enchanting. Alchemy is not had at all to level. The second you can apply a skill point to the next potency you do so and start crafting at that level. I leveled Alchemy to 50 in about 6 hours, Enchanting took about 10 days and I had almost all the items needed before hand to do both since I roamed Tamriel for the first 4 months of game play gathering the items.

At least it's not as hard as it was pre-1.5 (or whatever patch increased the amount of inspiration earned from decon and reduced the amount of inspiration needed per level). It was A LOT harder before that much needed update, and it was pretty much a necessity to have a crafting partner.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Especially with that glitch around lvl27 where it suddenly took twice as much inspiration to clear that one level as it was supposed to! That was brutal.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on January 7, 2016 9:38PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC