The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Map Icons

TyreceGaines
TyreceGaines
Soul Shriven
Hello all,

I'm just wondering what the difference is between a black map icon and a white map icon. In Skyrim, a white map icon meant that it had been discovered, but a black map icon meant that it had not been. That doesn't seem to be the case in ESO so I'm just wondering if anyone has an answer for this.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the most part, Black means unfinished business. It can also mean you just have not discovered a place if you have a mod like Destinations which shows you markers on the map before you get to them.

Also, the White Quest Arrows mean an Active Quest* you need to turn in either to finish the quest or stage. A Black quest Arrow means a new quest or quest stage is available from that NPC.

*To be a little more confusing, if you have more than one quest you need to turn in, then using the T Key to cycle through the quests will turn each active quest marker white and the others black.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    White icon means you completed the area's objective. For a world boss it's just killing the boss, for a town it could be several quests.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    White means that you did something there to finish it. Black means you didn't finish that something. The something differs per type of icon. I'll name a few:

City: You finish it by discovering it (e.g. entering the city).
    Wayshrine: You finish it by discovering it.
    Delve: You finish it by entering it, and killing the named npc (bosslike creature, typically at the far end of the delve).
    Dark Anchor: you finish it by destroying the anchor.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is usually at least one big quest (or series of quests) for each town, ruin etc.

If it is black it means you have not finished that quest yet - usually saving the town from something or someone.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/