Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeon level sync

Loopy
Loopy
Soul Shriven
My apologies if this has been answered before - i tried googling, binging and yahooing, but i was unable to find a definitive answer.

I am aware of the game having a level sync function, where it would sync up to the group leader's level once in a group dungeon, and all EXP, gold and items would also sync up. Does this work downward as well?

Example: a friend is level 15 and needs help with a lowbie dungeon. I want to jump on my lvl 42 templar to help him out. He's the group leader. Once i join in, do i sync down to his level?

I've tried doing so, and we've literally stormed through the dungeon in 20 minutes. I mean, i didn't feel ridiculously overpowered, but it also didn't feel like it was super challenging either. I was also ineligible to loot any bosses.

Is it worth doing something like this with lowbie friends? Am i robbing them of their regular exp? I'd just like a clear-cut answer :)

Thanks!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mobs, bosses, loot, and XP scale to the level of the group leader. The other players do not scale to that level. I can't be sure if you're robbing lowbies of XP by doing this: I've heard that there's something in place to make it so that a higher-level character can't power-level a lower-level character by grouping with them, but I have no idea how the mechanic may work.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are, I guess, a few points to make here, which I have gleaned in reading the forums (ie I have no evidence personally):
    • When your higher level character joins there is a possibility that you will be receiving no XP as the critters are more than 5 levels different. This may mean no one gets XP.
    • XP gained from critters in a party is determined by the amount of earnable XP from damage done or healed.
    If these are the case, then you may need to work out a way to help by healing or drawing the attacks while dealing no damage.

So work as the group healer? Or alternatively equip L1 equipment and smack the critter once then let the other characters kill it while it attacks you?
    Edited by Woolenthreads on March 20, 2015 10:04PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Loopy
    Loopy
    Soul Shriven
    UrQuan wrote: »
    The mobs, bosses, loot, and XP scale to the level of the group leader. The other players do not scale to that level. I can't be sure if you're robbing lowbies of XP by doing this: I've heard that there's something in place to make it so that a higher-level character can't power-level a lower-level character by grouping with them, but I have no idea how the mechanic may work.
    Ok that makes much more sense. I guess i was used to FFXIV style of downscaling so i was expecting a similar system. Although this is an interesting way of ensuring replayability as well, by not locking out dungeons behind a level barrier.

Thanks for the answers. I'd still like to know whether it's feasible for me to run my lowbie friends through dungeons and not rob them of XP (don't care about XP for myself). Hopefully somebody might have an answer to that as well.