Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What should I do with gold?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it probably seems like a stupid question, even from a new player, since virtually everything can be bought with gold. But what I mean is are there any particular things I should be saving it for?

My highest level character is only level 8, but I already have over 9,000 gold saved up (meme not intended) and from what I've seen so far even high level equipment bought from guild stores isn't impossibly expensive, and it's apparently cheaper if you craft it yourself (I'm levelling all the crafts, 2 per character).

So far the main things I've found to buy with gold are bank/bag space, mounts and riding skills.

But I'm a bit worried that if I spend it all on mounts and storage space now later on I'll be kicking myself when I have to spend ages grinding for more important things.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ymn_ars
    ymn_ars
    Im a new player too and i bought the cheapest mount which is 10k gold like a day ago and im feeling you. I guess mount + some profession leveling gold should be enough to consider.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those pesky PvP armor sets? Not everything can be crafted. If you're on EU, the Imperial motif is pretty pricey too.

Don't hold back spending gold on bank space, inventory management is easier now that items can stack to 200, but juggling all professions, my bank is almost always full. Mind you, I don't have any mules, I play all my characters.

As for mounts, they're account-wide now, so you need to buy only one. Alternate skins are nice, but not a necessity, so you may want to invest in something else first.
    ymn_ars wrote: »
    Im a new player too and i bought the cheapest mount which is 10k gold like a day ago and im feeling you. I guess mount + some profession leveling gold should be enough to consider.
    Back in my day the basic horse cost 17k and to buy it we had to walk to the stable in the snow, uphill, both ways...
    Edited by Rosveen on March 19, 2015 11:37PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

I still rarely have 9,000 gold total from my characters (I play about 10 of them - 2 accounts - levels from 8 - 33) at any one time.

I"m guessing you aren't much for crafting/deconstructing.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Wow.

I still rarely have 9,000 gold total from my characters (I play about 10 of them - 2 accounts - levels from 8 - 33) at any one time.

I"m guessing you aren't much for crafting/deconstructing.

It's more that I haven't really bought much. The first 2 weeks I was playing I kept deleting characters so I didn't want to spend money on them until I was 100% sure I'd keep them. The only things I've bought are the first upgrade to the bank (1,000 gold), 4 riding skill upgrades (1,000 gold total) and 1 bag upgrade I don't remember the price of.

I feel like I've been deconstructing a lot of things, but only things that sell for little/no gold (at low levels there's a lot of items worth 0 gold) and I haven't bought any crafting materials. I'm trying to craft whatever I can for free until I get the hang of the system.

As you may have noticed by now I'm kind of cautious about doing things wrong. I was even worried about spending skill points until I found out you could re-do them later on.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From both your posts OP, sounds like you have a good handle on where to spend gold. Don't spend on repairs until you have armor worth repairing ( i.e. vet levels). Until then craft new or use drops. Same with buying equipment...at low levels, crafted equipment works fine. If you learn all the crafts, you need spend gold only on inventory space and mount training, and eventually repairs. Eventually, you should be able to afford to splurge on more expensive guild store offerings.
    Edited by Ourorboros on March 20, 2015 12:05AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    sell it for real.
    everybody doing this.
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bank space is the biggest hitter early on imo.
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, you will need it later...wait and see... any then cry like I do.

I spent several 100k this week alone getting rare armor set pieces/jewelry and upgrade mats... and I am still not done yet.
    Ok, sure, of course this does not happen every week and I had to do this mainly because all the big !!#$$?! changes in 1.6 more or less required me to redo suits for several end-game chars. Again. *Roarrrr*

Better start saving early... trust me, some day you will be very glad you did.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I feel like I've been deconstructing a lot of things, but only things that sell for little/no gold (at low levels there's a lot of items worth 0 gold).

Mostly I deconstruct everything. I sell about ... 1/3 to 1/2 of the "ornate" items and didn't start doing that till about a month ago.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rebeccas04nub18_ESO
    Total bank space is 800K I think, which you'll want if you start crafting. You'll want to craft because it's lucrative and helps you pay for more bank space. :smile:
    Wicked Felina/ Khajiit NB DC
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else is recipes to level provisioning. Tons out there for those who are of a "collector" bent.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saving for end game items atm...bank space/bag space I have purchased upgrades, but I also have a mule only for Prov. one for Alchemy/Enchanting and one for Clothing/BS/Woodworking...I sell most of my mats now that my proffesions are at lvl 50 and they always seem to sell...but you will want motif's and gear when you get higher lvl...so save yo money.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD