The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Installer not working

• Raeshlavik
    Raeshlavik
    Soul Shriven
    Well, here it is April 2016 - and I had to dig up my old post on how to install ESO...

Neat...
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    This worked for me. I too for some reason couldn't reinstall the game. Ran the installer, and then it closed with no errors or anything.
    Thanks very much for the workaround.

However, how do I specify where I want the game to download using this way of installing? Hitting install doesn't give me an option to pick my installation folder.
    --Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
    Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
    Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • ShavriShadowpath
    ShavriShadowpath
    Soul Shriven

Raeshlavik wrote: »
    Solution (win8):

1) Run the downloaded "installer"
    2) Look in c:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp (AppData is a hidden directory)
    3) Find a directory similar to "I1427247224" with a date and time of when you did step 1
    4) Inside that directory go to InstallerData/Disk1/InstData - you will see a compressed file called "Resource1"
    5) Inside "Resource1" go to $IA_PROJECT_DIR$/src_path
    6) Copy the folder "Launcher" to a drive and location you can get to (I chose the root of C:)
    7) Inside "Launcher", execute "Bethesda.net_Launcher"
    8) The "Launcher" will update and restart.
    9) Once the "Launcher" is running again, click the INSTALL button

Crack open a beer and enjoy the hours of download.

Best Wishes
    "You may look into the water and see deep visions, but in truth, in fact, the pool is naught but a mirror." -Thornlost-
  • EliteDodger
    EliteDodger
    Soul Shriven
    Solution (win8):

2) Look in c:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp (AppData is a hidden directory)
    3) Find a directory similar to "I1427247224" with a date and time of when you did step 1
    4) Inside that directory go to InstallerData/Disk1/InstData - you will see a compressed file called "Resource1"
    6) Copy the folder "Launcher" to a drive and location you can get to (I chose the root of C:)

I tried this but there is nothing in InstData so i don't know what to do, honestly i give up, the games giving me to much trouble the website is asking me to log in every 5 seconds and then telling me my password is wrong so that's annoying too, i put a lot of money into this game when it came out and this is all i get. if any one can help me out it would be appreciated .
  • DarcomX
    DarcomX
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same Issue. I run the launcher and it seems to get to 100% then nothing happens.
  • Essa
    Essa
    Soul Shriven
    DarcomX wrote: »
    I'm having the same Issue. I run the launcher and it seems to get to 100% then nothing happens.

Same, win10, after InstallAnywhere finishes to 100% nothing happens. Ive tried every fix i can find online.
  • ortwinej_ESO
    ortwinej_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Essa wrote: »

Same, win10, after InstallAnywhere finishes to 100% nothing happens. Ive tried every fix i can find online.

The solution mentioned previously worked for me, with one small exception in step 5. The path inside the "Resource1" directory was D_/launchers/winlivepub.

Pretty ridiculous this is still an issue in February 2017, though.
    Edited by ortwinej_ESO on February 1, 2017 10:33PM
  • Essa
    Essa
    Soul Shriven
    Essa wrote: »

The solution mentioned previously worked for me, with one small exception in step 5. The path inside the "Resource1" directory was D_/launchers/winlivepub.

Pretty ridiculous this is still an issue in February 2017, though.

THIS! Now it works.

Yes i agree, and seems Zenimax isnt around to provide any help :) Glad the community could provide the help needed.
  • Inrego
    Inrego
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah.. this also helped me install ESO again..
  • raging4198
    raging4198
    Soul Shriven
    i had the same problem... basically steam is a lazy ass and doesnt install the launcher folder so you have to ask some 1 to send it to u then add it to the eso folder in steam

also as a bonus if u get a timed out error close the game. the launcher and steam then run steam as admin
  • Iron_Heart
    Iron_Heart
    Soul Shriven
    I'm on Windows 7 and the above fix doesn't work for me. Inside the Launcher folder there is only a directx folder and a vcredist_x86.exe file. Nothing else.
  • ModernWarBear
    ModernWarBear
    Soul Shriven
    Just so everyone knows, the way to actually fix this is to boot your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and install and run the launcher from there. No digging in temp files required.
  • Kasnadak
    Kasnadak
    Soul Shriven
    Solution (win8):

Number 4 needs to be replaced for Windows 10 users because the Launcher is not located in there. When you open the resources 1 zip to unzip it the Launcher for me was located in the D_ folder not the $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ folder.

So everyone that is having the problem now you should look into that, but once I did do that everything else is as said just not the location of the Launcher was correct for me.

Upon reading some other peoples post I am assuming it's the same for them as well yes the $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ folder only had 1 folder and another was just an executable for C++ info.
    Edited by Kasnadak on February 8, 2017 6:39PM
  • mhenry0211b14_ESO
    mhenry0211b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Kasnadak wrote: »
    Solution (win8):

Number 4 needs to be replaced for Windows 10 users because the Launcher is not located in there. When you open the resources 1 zip to unzip it the Launcher for me was located in the D_ folder not the $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ folder.

So everyone that is having the problem now you should look into that, but once I did do that everything else is as said just not the location of the Launcher was correct for me.

Upon reading some other peoples post I am assuming it's the same for them as well yes the $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ folder only had 1 folder and another was just an executable for C++ info.

Thanks. This worked for me and my friend on windows 10.
  • Hyperion184
    Hyperion184
    Soul Shriven
    Kasnadak wrote: »
    Solution (win8):

This! I was trying to reinstall and play this game on my newer PC and just couldn't get it to install. Found this thread and everything works so far. Downloading it now, hope it plays ok.
  • BoromirWolfsBane
    BoromirWolfsBane
    Soul Shriven
    For those of you running window's 8 and ESO through Steam i had the same problem and was unable to fix it myself via either reinstall or setting myself as admin only was i managed to get the launcher to even open and run was by upgrading to windows 10 and updating my x64 and x86 bit client to the 2015 version. To open the launcher itself i still had to go to game properties, select launcher, then application the game opened up from there. Though i'm not really a big window's 10 fan nor have i ever really used it so right now my issue is pretty bad lag and something limiting my wifi. If anyone could suggest a way through windows 10 to find whats limiting my wifi i'd appreciate it. Otherwise this worked for me and im able to get in game now.
  • splarv
    splarv
    ✭✭
    Install in windows in "safe mode with network controllers". Old bug, but developers don't fix it.
  • BoromirWolfsBane
    BoromirWolfsBane
    Soul Shriven
    splarv wrote: »
    Install in windows in "safe mode with network controllers". Old bug, but developers don't fix it.

I tried to install with safe mode but nothing allowed me to install it with my safe mode button on.
  • Karnb
    Karnb
    ✭✭
    I just tried safe mode as well and didn't work for me. The 7 step process also didn't work.
  • crazyranger
    crazyranger
    ✭✭
    This is comical. I had problems completing the the quest "Lifting the Veil" with the NPC bugged and not allowing me to advance the quest line. Customer support advised me to do a fresh re-install of the game. Now the installer is inop and fails to work...
  • ryudomail_ESO
    ryudomail_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Saw this in another thread. Worked perfectly. Not sure why it isn't pinned at the top.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4378

Nvidia's drivers are the cause of the problem, apparently.
  • houndandhorseb16_ESO
    Solution (win8):

This worked! At least the launcher has updated and it's now downloading the actual game. I'm running windows 10 so thank you for posting! :smile:
  • simeion
    simeion
    ✭✭✭
    SO I have had to uninstall and reinstall the game because of the size of hard drive it is on this computer. I have been unable to reinstall this game! I need help! It keeps giving unknown file errors and Content write failure errors.
  • Faithlezz
    Faithlezz
    Soul Shriven
    I am running on a older computer dual core and all that, however I know the game used to run on my puter, went to launch the game today and it got errors, tried repairing and that didn't work. I deleted everything and went to do a fresh install.

The installer runs and goes to 100% and then nothing , it goes away and computer acts like nothing was ever done

my operating system is Win7 , Video is GeForce GT 730, Ram is 8 gigs 500 gigs on my HD.

I am getting no errors no codes NO NOTHING!!!!!

A little help from Zenimax or BethesduH OR WHO THE HECK EVER MANAGES THIS game, would be appreciated.

same problem here i got windows 10
  • Tenchips
    Tenchips
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Guys!

Okay, after reading all of this, I had a hard time making the game install.

BUT I DID IT

Easy solution:
    • After downloading the installer, restart your pc in Safe mode (with or without internet access, doesn't influence)
    • Launch the installer
    • The loader appears, ready for you to login
    • Reboot to normal mode
    • PLAY

I wanted to share this earlier with you, but my invitation to the forum took soo much time to come (2 months).

See you guys later!
    Tenchips

P.S.: I posted this answer to all the threads I visited looking for a solution.
  • tomaz136
    tomaz136
    Soul Shriven
    Me to

install_eso.exe , InstallAnywhere writes: I can not execute the desired program please provide a new copy of the installation program and..
    what is wrog ?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is a few years old we are going to close the discussion. You are welcome to start a new thread if you can't find a recent one. You can follow the link below for steps on troubleshooting problems with the ESO installer.

Why am I getting the error "Unable to execute the desired program. Please get another copy of the installer and try again" when I'm trying to install the ESO launcher?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.