Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

little help picking class

seipher09
seipher09
✭✭✭✭
Well skimming all the classes and abilities I think I found something I enjoy. Before I do pursue it though wanted to make sure it's not going to be useless in later levels making me have to reroll. I so far enjoy templar, using the sword and shield skills, and the spears with heavy armor. From looking I could be mistaken the sword shield skills appear to do pretty good damage I'm not sure if other skills though are better? I plan on doing mostly solo pve and some group content if needed. So will this work out later well? I plan on doing decent dps of course not the highest with this build and being able to survive of course with restoring light.

So will this work in higher levels and should I put only a couple points in magic rest in stamina and health? Thanks for any tips!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That should be viable. You'll probably want to tweak your ratios once you get a feel for the game, but a Templar will give you room to experiment. Also note you'll have a second weapon to swap to at level 15, so plan for that.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • seipher09
    seipher09
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be a viable 2nd weapon? Not a 2h weapons fan
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Restro staff or bow are a good second weapon depending on if you go magic or stamina.
    Edited by driosketch on March 18, 2015 2:45AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The game itself is generally very forgiving as far as builds go. But like most MMOs, it's the players that are not so forgiving. You'll probably run into some folks every now and then that get upset with you for not using whatever the FOTM build is, and if you have played any other MMOs before then this will be nothing new to you.

My advice: Play whatever build you enjoy playing, whether it tops the DPS meters or not. You'll get a lot more out of it in many different ways. Besides which, you're certainly better off playing something you like playing rather than something you hate playing just because the math nerds say it has a higher theoretical DPS output value.

Also don't be afraid to try different things. There's always a chance that you'll find some other skill or weapon that you like using. Plus there's really nothing much stopping you from leveling them all anyway. The trick is just collecting enough skill points to spread around. :smile:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restoration Staff for those range moments and also for the times when you desperately need magicka and potions don't cut it ;).
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • godofrawr
    godofrawr
    Soul Shriven
    Glurin wrote: »
    My advice: Play whatever build you enjoy playing, whether it tops the DPS meters or not. You'll get a lot more out of it in many different ways. Besides which, you're certainly better off playing something you like playing rather than something you hate playing just because the math nerds say it has a higher theoretical DPS output value.

Also don't be afraid to try different things. There's always a chance that you'll find some other skill or weapon that you like using. Plus there's really nothing much stopping you from leveling them all anyway. The trick is just collecting enough skill points to spread around. :smile:

As someone that's new to the game, I just want to say thanks for that comment. MMOs tend to be pretty hostile towards people trying to play they want to play.
  • KoRRoDEAD
    KoRRoDEAD
    Use whatever you like the style of, all in all ANYTHING is viable. Admittedly there may be some combinations may give out higher DPS but i personally just use what i like for each character and if you decide half way through leveling that you want to try out a different weapon then there's nothing stopping you.

For example, my first main character was a Dragonknight with Dual Weild. At lvl 15 i decided to add a Resto staff when i got my weapon swap ability.

Then i decided i didn't like the Resto staff and added one hand and shield

later i decided to swap my Dual weild for Destruction staff and now i have a lvl 48 Dragonknight with Sword and Shield and Flame staff and it's amazing.

And theres nothing stopping me from changing my mind and going Two hander and Bow if i felt like it.
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    also goes without saying, you can always respec later. If you get to 50 and your build is no longer viable, you can tweak it (it's kinda expensive last I checked, but oh well) or change it entirely. Classes that top the meters in a good MMO are generally cyclical. in a few months, the classes that are "OP" now may be bottom of the meter. So play what you want and then modify your build to the content if you need to.