Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player has questions (Skeptical, but hopeful!)

gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
Hey guys! As many probably are right now, I was a beta/launch player who is now returning to get in on all the new changes and hopefully a cleaner game. Stoked to come back and hope I meet many of you in Tamriel.

My biggest issue and why I left ESO in the first place was I felt the weapon and class lines were ridiculously unbalanced. During launch, the Destro/Resto staff DK's and Vamp builds were just insane. I had tried playing with Sorc tanks and Nightblade healers and just felt very underpowered. No matter what I did, I'd be struggling against packs of mobs my level, and then I'd see a destro/resto DK in light armor tank 3 of those packs and burn them down with ease.

I guess my biggest concern is whether the class/skill lines have been balanced a bit more. I know people always have their gripes and I know there's always some FotM, but could I build a character how I want to build it and be viable in high end dungeon content? When I played, 2h weap players were nearly obsolete, as were duel wielders who didn't use stealth. Werewolf was a laughing stock. Like for instance, could I make a Nord Sorc dual-wield medium/heavy armor (play off the lightning procs from sorc and speed of dual wielding) and be viable for late game play? Maybe even throw in some werewolf for fun? or are builds that are fun to theorycraft still sort of gimped? Any advice is much appreciated, and I'm excited to give tamriel a second go around!
  • Horrum
    Horrum
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a ton of balance changes over the months. 2h owns now, stamina is more than viable and light armor is no longer the be all and end all. Bows, werewolf, armor etc have all been balanced. I PvP a lot and you see a far bigger variety of builds these days.

As you say, there is always some fotm going on, but the balance feels right these days. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised, but that is just my opinon. Give it a try and see how it feels.
    Edited by Horrum on March 17, 2015 5:56AM
  • Mos-De-Atmo
    Mos-De-Atmo
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I also think that things are much more balanced these days, especially compared to previous times. Balance is always a tricky subject as some people get confused with the word "equal" which is very different.

Anyway it seems that the Weapon and Class Skill Lines are much better balanced and that it can be a difficult decision to choose between the three Armor types as they are have pros and cons rather than everyone going with Light Armor like before. Skills themselves are more balanced and they tried to rectify all of the "useless" morph options to even them out too, which was good.

Of course there is always more work to be done and everyone always have slightly different ideas.

Welcome back!
    ESO Academy - Up To Date Info, Guides and Tips For The Elder Scrolls Online
    - ESO Skills
    - ESO Item Sets
    - ESO Builds