Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leveling Provisioning in 1.6 - Help

Khaldar
Khaldar
✭✭✭
I'm trying to level my provisioning, but it seems a lot less intuitive then the other skills. Is there a guide somewhere? The ones on the internet seem outdated.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khaldar wrote: »
    I'm trying to level my provisioning, but it seems a lot less intuitive then the other skills. Is there a guide somewhere? The ones on the internet seem outdated.
    Just find a couple of recipes, and craft the highest-level item you have a recipe for and the ingredients for. Just keep making stuff. That's really all there is to it. Grab provisioning writs every day too. If you have the right recipes to complete them, they are an excellent source of ingredients, new recipes, gold, and provisioning inspiration.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Grab provisioning writs every day too. If you have the right recipes to complete them, .
    And hope you're not DC, because Lemon Flower Mazte is a PITA to acquire if you aren't lucky enough to loot the recipe on your own. Srsly, I found it in some guild store for 17.5k. I laughed, but this really isn't funny. To hell with Citrus Malt and its successor.
  • Jofish
    Jofish
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, provisioning is one of the quickest crafts to learn; If you are just beginning there should be a room that you wake up in that will have containers you can avail yourself of without stealing.. and many of the early delves have a lot of mat containers... if there's a recipe you are in need of for writs, there are still a lot of folks who will help you get 'em... we were noobs once... ;)
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Provisioning leveling is still just a matter of making food and beverages.

The important thing to do is make the highest character-useable level of recipe you can and move to the next as soon as you learn it.

Each level of recipe gives a certain amount of Inspiration Points used to level the skill.

L1 Recipe - 300 IP
    L5 Recipe - 1500 IP
    L10 Recipe - 3000 IP
    L15 Recipe - 4500 IP
    L20 Recipe - 6000 IP
    L25 Recipe - 7500 IP
    L30 Recipe - 9000 IP
    L35 Recipe - 10500 IP
    L40 Recipe - 12000 IP
    L45 recipe - 13500 IP
    • Make only green recipes, you get no more IP for Blue or Purple.
    • You only need one recipe of food OR beverage for each level of IP
    • You can't make any higher than L45 until you are already skill level 50.
    • Only put initial Skill points in Recipe Improvement and only 4/4 through L45.
    • To recoup some of the costs involved, if you have extra skill points to use, add points to Chef at L7/L23/L33 and Brewer at L9/L25/L36 and vendor the extra food/beverages you don't need.

As the chart shows higher recipes give much more IP but it will still take you 3,667,895 IP for Skill level 50.

You can only get ingredients from free and owned containers, Hirelings, Grocers and Guild Stores. You can still find non-owned containers in ships, wherehouses, and outside of towns and cities.

And yes prices for some very low level recipes are still in flux and much higher than they should be since before patch 1.6x dropped.
    Edited by SpAEkus on March 15, 2015 2:46AM
  • Khaldar
    Khaldar
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the replies!!!
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Grab provisioning writs every day too. If you have the right recipes to complete them, .
    And hope you're not DC, because Lemon Flower Mazte is a PITA to acquire if you aren't lucky enough to loot the recipe on your own. Srsly, I found it in some guild store for 17.5k. I laughed, but this really isn't funny. To hell with Citrus Malt and its successor.

All the L10/L15 Recipes are/were a PITA to find. For a start you had to be L8 to get L10 Recipes and L13 to get L15 Recipes and if you went to L16 then you automatically started getting L20 recipes from containers.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

All the L10/L15 Recipes are/were a PITA to find. For a start you had to be L8 to get L10 Recipes and L13 to get L15 Recipes and if you went to L16 then you automatically started getting L20 recipes from containers.
    Yep, I still occasionally find low level recipes I don't know. But out of those DC writs ask for, I have all except Lemon Flower Mazte. :(
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, if you know anyone who has learned the recipe, you can just get them to craft some for you... You don't actually have to have crafted the item yourself to turn in the writ, it just has to be player-crafted rather than dropped or bought from a vendor.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, if you know anyone who has learned the recipe, you can just get them to craft some for you... You don't actually have to have crafted the item yourself to turn in the writ, it just has to be player-crafted rather than dropped or bought from a vendor.
    Yeah, but I asked only once and nobody who was online at the time had the recipe. I'll try again later. I'm not terribly concerned with turning in writs every day, tbh.
  • Jofish
    Jofish
    ✭✭✭
    From what I understand they have made the recipe drops commensurate with the level of the zone you are in instead of your character's level; so finding a lvl recipe you desire should be easier (if you don't hafta steal 'em)..:)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jofish wrote: »
    From what I understand they have made the recipe drops commensurate with the level of the zone you are in instead of your character's level; so finding a lvl recipe you desire should be easier (if you don't hafta steal 'em)..:)

I'll test that. It means I can get those gorram L10/L15's ;)

#edit I will note though that I am picking up random green recipes a lot now.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on March 14, 2015 10:59PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • charlmgn
    charlmgn
    ✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    Yes, Provisioning leveling is still just a matter of making food and beverages.

The important thing to do is make the highest character-useable level of recipe you can and move to the next as soon as you learn it.

Each level of recipe gives a certain amount of Inspiration Points used to level the skill.

L1 Recipe - 300 IP
    L5 Recipe - 1500 IP
    L10 Recipe - 3000 IP
    L15 Recipe - 5400 IP
    L20 Recipe - 6000 IP
    L25 Recipe - 7500 IP
    L30 Recipe - 9000 IP
    L35 Recipe - 10500 IP
    L40 Recipe - 12000 IP
    L45 recipe - 13500 IP
    • Make only green recipes, you get no more IP for Blue or Purple.
    • You only need one recipe of food OR beverage for each level of IP
    • You can't make any higher than L45 until you are already skill level 50.
    • Only put initial Skill points in Recipe Improvement and only 4/4 through L45.
    • To recoup some of the costs involved, if you have extra skill points to use, add points to Chef at L7/L23/L33 and Brewer at L9/L25/L36 and vendor the extra food/beverages you don't need.

As the chart shows higher recipes give much more IP but it will still take you 3,667,895 IP for Skill level 50.

You can only get ingredients from free and owned containers, Hirelings, Grocers and Guild Stores. You can still find non-owned containers in ships, wherehouses, and outside of towns and cities.

And yes prices for some very low level recipes are still in flux and much higher than they should be since before patch 1.6x dropped.

Slight correction: I'm sure it was just a typo, but to clarify, level 15 recipes grant 4500 inspiration points, not 5400. The other numbers are correct, and for those who were tracking IP gains previously, these are greatly reduced from before 1.6. Gone are the days of easily leveling provisioning from 1-50 with a single level 15 recipe - unless of course you want to create more than 800 of that level 15 item, twice what was previously required.
  • Daya
    Daya
    ✭✭

Lemon Flower Matze/Citrus Malt is the bane in DC, in Aldmeri it is Golden Apple Ale/Four-Eye Grog, I am guessing Ebonheart also has a cursed recipe.
    The good news is I think those two recipes are no longer just a rare writ drop, but can also be found in drawers, chests etc.
    My husband has found copies of both since 1.6. Before 1.6 neither of us had seen any of them.

I hope you will find a Lemon Flower recipe soon :)
  • gwillard_ESO
    gwillard_ESO
    ✭✭
    I thought they did away with faction specific recipes.

but I remember those days of not having some weird recipe. I'd either search guild stores for either the recipe or the crafted food or just plain skip that day.
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make food its easy.
  • Daya
    Daya
    ✭✭
    I thought they did away with faction specific recipes.

but I remember those days of not having some weird recipe. I'd either search guild stores for either the recipe or the crafted food or just plain skip that day.

I can only speak for the first tier of provisioner writs (lvl 1-10 recipes), but they only changed the names and materials.
    Each faction still have a fixed list of writs, and funnily enough this list is approximately the same as before 1.6.

• Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daya wrote:
    I can only speak for the first tier of provisioner writs (lvl 1-10 recipes), but they only changed the names and materials.
    Each faction still have a fixed list of writs, and funnily enough this list is approximately the same as before 1.6.

Sadly that list still includes Clarified Syrah Wine in the Ebonheart Pact. I seem to get it, as a writ request, more often than the others... it also seems to be the recipe that I have the most trouble finding!
    Edited by Iluvrien on March 17, 2015 12:47AM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also beware that even within each Improvement level of Prov Writs that it can request two different levels of food for example a L1 + L5 or an L1 + L10. Same for other levels.

Luckily I'm almost maxed on all my L1-15s for my Master Provisioner and about ready to bump some of my alts to Improvement L2.

I'm making food/bev ahead of time for each of my Alt Writ runners.

If only Enchantment allowed pre-made, you have to actually craft on the writ character.
    Edited by SpAEkus on March 17, 2015 1:49AM
  • Daya
    Daya
    ✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Daya wrote:
    I can only speak for the first tier of Provisioner writs (lvl 1-10 recipes), but they only changed the names and materials.

Sadly that list still includes Clarified Syrah Wine in the Ebonheart Pact. I seem to get it, as a writ request, more often than the others... it also seems to be the recipe that I have the most trouble finding!

Aha, so that could be the 'cursed' Ebonheart recipe!

*jots down a note* Thank you, my good man, for providing insights into the Provisioner curses in Ebonheart :wink:
    Edited by Daya on March 17, 2015 2:31AM
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daya wrote: »
    *jots down a note* Thank you, my good man, for providing insights into the Provisioner curses in Ebonheart :wink:

No problem. I am glad that my continuing provisioning writ misery is of some use ;).

In the mean time I will continue to try and do recipe level 1 writs (when they don't include this recipe) with 3 characters in the hope that one day I will actually get it!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a character that can't seem to shake the writ for "banana surprise and four-eye grog". I finally found (and bought) some banana surprise, but I cannot find either the recipe for four-eye grog or any of the item itself for sale.

Anyone willing to sell me one?

I tried dropping the quest. I tried logging out and logging in again before grabbing a new writ.

Keeps showing up.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well before v1.6, I maxed out all 16 of my characters in Provisioning by levelling them all to L20 Provisioning and then having the Region 2+ Alts raid the furniture and containers for cooking material and recipes. I have kept, and learnt, all the unknown recipes and sold the rest. I can only suggest not relying on the Writ System and levelling up the provisioning by just making food/drink.
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I have a character that can't seem to shake the writ for "banana surprise and four-eye grog". I finally found (and bought) some banana surprise, but I cannot find either the recipe for four-eye grog or any of the item itself for sale.

I tried dropping the quest. I tried logging out and logging in again before grabbing a new writ.

Keeps showing up.

Oh, jeez, sorry, I actually found and sold a four-eye grog recipe to a vendor the other day, because all of my characters have it and nobody ever seemed to buy recipes. Maybe we need a list of recipes that are hard to come by?

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Woolenthreads said
    Maybe we need a list of recipes that are hard to come by?

Good idea. Definitely put four-eye grog on the list. It came up for an alt writ and my Main did not know it. I spent two days searching guild stores for it, and could not find it. Luckily, I looted it the next day. Obviously, include Clarified Syrah Wine as well.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, jeez, sorry, I actually found and sold a four-eye grog recipe to a vendor the other day, because all of my characters have it and nobody ever seemed to buy recipes. Maybe we need a list of recipes that are hard to come by?

We do need a list, there is a L6 Blue that I find every day from a Provisioning Writ. I can sell them for 5000 each time I get one. I have sold one a day for the last 3 days.

4 Eyed Grog recipes I have seen before in loot and prov packs. And since starting prov writs, I am getting obscure blue and purple recipes that I have never gotten before.

For example, I know a L30 Purple recipe, and picked up another one two nights ago. That probably has to be a 30K to 50K recipe, considering the rarity of L30 Purple foods.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Keeps showing up.

They are different by day(real time) only. So if you can't do the writ for that day just drop it and wait till the next day, it will change.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can only suggest not relying on the Writ System and levelling up the provisioning by just making food/drink.
    I'll add one more more thing to this. Once you've made enough food to get to Prov20 then you can put the point into recipe improvement and start doing the Region 2 Writs for which the recipes are much easier to find because there are only writs for L20 and L25 involved, and they are found more easily, unlike the Region 1's, where there are writs for L1, L5, L10 and L15 and the top half of those have low probabilities for finding.
    Nestor wrote: »
    For example, I know a L30 Purple recipe, and picked up another one two nights ago. That probably has to be a 30K to 50K recipe, considering the rarity of L30 Purple foods.
    Yeah I'm picking up some pretty random recipes from the writs/furniture and the character that is getting them passes them to the alts if she already has the recipe, but that's still only half the time.

• yake82
    yake82
    ✭✭✭
    I leveled two provisioning alts by crafting Flank Steaks.
    Just murder herds of animals when grinding vet levels and collect red meat.
    Flank steaks is lvl1 recipe so anyone can learn it.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Clarified Syrah Wine recipe finally dropped for me.

...in two different writs on the same day. O.o
  • veerlen
    veerlen
    I still having problems with th surilie Syrah wine not the clarified one
    I have 6 characters but still can't found it.
    I'm getting tired of it
    I have lots recipes now but not that one
    Enybody tips how what when?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    veerlen wrote: »
    Enybody tips how what when?

Guild Kiosks have it. It is one of the rarer Green Recipes to drop so it will cost more than most others.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"