Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cannot progress because of locked Koeglin House

Haschmi
Haschmi
✭✭
I cannot get into the constable's house in Koeglin. I have no lockpicking ability, but I am forced to pick this lock. I get caught constantly, and I am incapable of progressing because of this. Is there any alternative ?
  • Glierhuin
    Glierhuin
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need any lockpicking ability to pick locks. Tried sneaking by pressing Ctrl?

Anyway if the quest requires you to break into a house it's most likely an issue with the justice system. Houses necessary for quests shouldn't be owned to prevent this situation from happening :neutral:
    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is unfortunate, and will probably be fixed on quest related houses, that you have to pick a lock and deal with the JS to resolve a quest. Fortunately, most quests should not require this.

However there is way to succeed. First thing you need to do is practice the lock picking, and you can do that on chests out in the game (usually located near cliffs or tucked away). Kenarthi's Roost if you run along the beach you can open dozens of these chests.

I will give you a hint on lockpicking, watch the springs. When they start to jiggle, release the mouse button. Don't watch the pin, the jiggle at the top does not give you the time you need to get the pin set.

Then, once you have about 20 chests opened, you will be good at the lockpicks. So, go back to Koeglin, then watch the guards and NPCs. They patrol, as soon as they move out of line of site (back turned to you and walking away means they are out of line of site), go into Sneak, then attempt to pick the lock.

If you still can't get this done, and your on the NA server, ping me in the game tonight, we can group up and I will pick the lock for you.
    Edited by Nestor on March 13, 2015 4:40PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glierhuin wrote: »
    You don't need any lockpicking ability to pick locks. Tried sneaking by pressing Ctrl?

Anyway if the quest requires you to break into a house it's most likely an issue with the justice system. Houses necessary for quests shouldn't be owned to prevent this situation from happening :neutral:

Agree, but the patch notes made a bunch of quest houses locked.

So forced solo quests, forced group quests, and now forced entry in to the justice system.

Bummer.... what's next forced wearing of Light Armor Pink stuff? or forced dual wielding by sorcerers? and you got to ride a pink unicorn for 90% of your time in game.... if you don't you lose a level...
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romo wrote: »
    Glierhuin wrote: »

Agree, but the patch notes made a bunch of quest houses locked.

So forced solo quests, forced group quests, and now forced entry in to the justice system.

Bummer.... what's next forced wearing of Light Armor Pink stuff? or forced dual wielding by sorcerers? and you got to ride a pink unicorn for 90% of your time in game.... if you don't you lose a level...

Technically, breaking into NPC houses was illegal before the justice system. Its one of the reasons to sneak before.

@Haschmi Listen to what @Nestor says. Practice on the starter isles, lots of chests to teach lock-picking there. And remember, you are doing the "Breaking and Entering" on the direction of and duty for your King/Queen. No laws to stop that. However, if you get caught, they have to have plausible deniability. The end quest reward should make up for it.
    Edited by Darlgon on March 13, 2015 10:14PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • BambooScramble
    Quick update to quest. I'm on the Xbox One and I ran out of lockpicks and can't progress. I wonder how long this will take...
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    See if someone else is doing the quest and hook up with them or find someone in town who can give you some lock picks.

Lock picking requires practice, but once you know how to work it much easier then all you need to do is lock pick while sneaking - the sneak indicator will tell you if you are detected or not, try to lock pick while not detected
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend