Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So how bad is Light Armor for 1.6.5 really?

TherrusD
TherrusD
I'm currently having fun rereolling all my characters for EP(EU) and thought: hey...why not re-imagine my templar as a magic caster.
But I'm hearing so much bad about the survivablity of light armor.
Is it really that bad? And if so will I be able to counter it somehow(like wearing leg and chest heavy armor or something?)? Really wanna have my 2 caster(templar and sorc).
Thanks in advance
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • fiftypercentgrey
    fiftypercentgrey
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently leveling a sorcerer with 5 light, 2 heavy and I am lvl 40+.
    I wanted to test my squishyness so I put NO point in health, got no pets and tried to go all out DPS. No problems for normal levelling. For map bosses I had to swap my weapon bar 1 for something with a little more armor and healing (resto staff + critical surge + some resto skills in my case) but I could solo them.

It is more difficult than before the patch and I'll probably respecc my stats later. But I didnt have to weep.
    I had to laugh maniacally a few times, when I deep froze/burned-to-cinders/electrocuted my victims in a true glasscannony way.
    Maniacal laughter might not be a good sign, generally, but it is when your goal was having a good time playing.
    ἀπόκρυφος
  • likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »

That is a very good summary of the experiences I've had with end game content (which you may or may not be interested in, OP). I'm more the casual player that is mentioned in Post #40 of that thread. I like coming on at night after work and just want to enjoy myself. For someone like me, the changes to light armor can, and have, hurt.

One thing to do is not pile on 7/7 LA, as you say. You're gonna have to put some heavy in there. I use 5/2 light/heavy when I'm healing. A couple of times, I've off-tanked with the 5/2 setup and managed to stay alive until 2 of my group were resurrected, then went back to healing (I keep 1H+S on bar 1, resto on bar 2).

I haven't tried this personally, but you can try keeping up things like Circle of Protection on your casting characters, since you don't need stamina as much, to boost your armor stats. Templar can use Rune Focus, or even better Channeled Focus for the magicka regen and because it's insanely cheap. Sorcerer, same idea, with Hardened Ward or Boundless Storm, or other combos.

Of course, if you find that you can out-DPS everything, like @fiftypercentgrey , you can skip all the shields and buffs and just laugh along with him/her :wink:
    "War doesn't build character, it reveals it."
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh i have a lvl 40 (templar full light) and a lvl 15 (sorce light) and i have no issues, though i do have to be A LOT more careful but it is still viable. Adding 2 pieces of heavy IS a good idea though.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a VR8 Sorcerer and I wear 5 light, one medium and one heavy for two reasons. (1) to get all the armor passive buffs and (2) for the Undaunted Passive METTLE buff which gives an Increase to your Max Health, Stamina and Magicka by 1% per type of Armor (Heavy, Medium, Light) that you have equipped. Level 2 of the passive gives 2%. Was running 7 light with no problems just was missing out of several buffs from the other armor pieces. In the long run every little bit helps.
    Edited by Palidon on March 11, 2015 7:17AM
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not bad at all. Still gives you amazing bonuses. Survavilty is lower but if you can dodge properly the you're good to go. It's glass cannon option.
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we take significantly more damage in all light armour. To adjust, I think most players don't like the idea of having to sacrifice their magicka stores to boost their health. That's for more difficult content in the game though. For general questing about on landscape light armour is no problem at all.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    TherrusD wrote: »
    I'm currently having fun rereolling all my characters for EP(EU) and thought: hey...why not re-imagine my templar as a magic caster.
    But I'm hearing so much bad about the survivablity of light armor.
    Is it really that bad? And if so will I be able to counter it somehow(like wearing leg and chest heavy armor or something?)? Really wanna have my 2 caster(templar and sorc).
    Thanks in advance

LA is harder to survive in if you think you are going to run the front lines, but as a Temp, you should have no issues. I run in 7 LA doing everything as a Temp and have 0 issues. Of course for groups, I am not up front trying to hold agro. So if you want to stand back, support the group, blast some heals, or even DPS, you should have no problem.
    Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.