The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should Weapon Skill Trees have Ultimate Abilities to go with them?

Sky Chancellor
Sky Chancellor
✭✭✭
Should Weapon Skill Trees have Ultimate Abilities to go with them?
Edited by Sky Chancellor on February 20, 2015 4:51AM

Should Weapon Skill Trees have Ultimate Abilities to go with them? 36 votes

Yes
80%
sabresandiego_ESOMorHawkryanmjmcevoy_ESOAnimal_MotherBeastnaskelly.medleyb14_ESODraehlBrasseurfb16_ESORune_Relickeni_harringtonb16_ESOSeptimus_MagnaKoRRoDEADpatrykplawskib16_ESOanitajoneb17_ESOserjomalekrwb17_ESOShunravixarguideb17_ESOdavid.haypreub18_ESOninjaguymanParrotbrain 29 votes
No
19%
gurgnirarchangelb16_ESO2Panda244KartalinSheuibMaxlofsebaw65 7 votes
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I say no, not because it's not possible, but because I see absolutely no way to create and Ultimate for certain trees, like Two Handed and Bow. I'd offer more skills, and therefor more interesting game-play, so I don't want to say no... But balance... Balance is always the issue. :cry:
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Sky Chancellor
    Sky Chancellor
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes, on my own poll here. I read your post Panda, and obviously game balance is a main priority. I just think more variety would be good with ultimates, and that class lines should've always be "the identity" of your character, and that weapon skill lines should factor more into a character's identity (and ultimate abilities for each line would make that all come together much more). I am surprised that they were never put into the game to begin with.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted yes, on my own poll here. I read your post Panda, and obviously game balance is a main priority. I just think more variety would be good with ultimates, and that class lines should've always be "the identity" of your character, and that weapon skill lines should factor more into a character's identity (and ultimate abilities for each line would make that all come together much more). I am surprised that they were never put into the game to begin with.

The only reason that I said no outright was because it was a simple question, if you maybe provided some ideas and they were balanced, my mind could be persuaded, but until then... Sticking with my original vote, not that I can change it. It's just that the developers seem intent on milking the crown shop more than anything else right now, and in a year, or two years, I can definitely see them making Weapon Skill Ultimates a thing, but right now I would rather them focus on new DLC and Armors, Sets, Motifs, PvP fixes, etc.
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

• Sky Chancellor
    Sky Chancellor
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Panda244 wrote: »

The only reason that I said no outright was because it was a simple question, if you maybe provided some ideas and they were balanced, my mind could be persuaded, but until then... Sticking with my original vote, not that I can change it. It's just that the developers seem intent on milking the crown shop more than anything else right now, and in a year, or two years, I can definitely see them making Weapon Skill Ultimates a thing, but right now I would rather them focus on new DLC and Armors, Sets, Motifs, PvP fixes, etc.

Right now, no. That was not the question though, the question was.... should they be in there. Right now, too many issues with the game in general, and its not happening right now.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Right now, no. That was not the question though, the question was.... should they be in there. Right now, too many issues with the game in general, and its not happening right now.

Should they be in game eventually, yes, it'd make it more interesting in the PvP aspect of thing, gah.. Now you got me wanting to revote...

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Weapon ultimates do not have to be huge lightshows like class ultimates usually are.

Bow, for example, could have an ultiimate allowing one to strike multiple enemies at once, scoring critical hits each time. 1H and shield could have an AOE taunt ultimate; 2H could have some kind of "block breaker" ultimate.

there have been some good ideas in the forums from time to time.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I feel like having different class based ultimates give builds diversity. Everyone has access to world and guild ultimates already, I think weapon ults would lessen the diversity even more.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    There are those that go classless.
    All that leaves is mages/fighters/world ultimates to choose from.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    milthalas wrote: »
    I feel like having different class based ultimates give builds diversity. Everyone has access to world and guild ultimates already, I think weapon ults would lessen the diversity even more.

i think this would help diversity.

We would see less people relying on class ultimates and more giving these weapon ultis a chance; a 2H having a block breaking ultimate would force perma blockers/tanks to keep a weary eye out for 2H on the battlefield, for example.

It would certainly be a nice change of pace from the usual banner/veil spam that goes on.
    Edited by Cody on February 23, 2015 10:22PM
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I say no simply because they probably couldn't make an ultimate that is truly different from ones that are already available. There is already the big aoe damage, big single target damage, aoe damage reducers, etc.. Oh and negate which I am sure they will never bring back the old negate as a weapon ultimate.

Basically, you would end up with something that does what some other ultimate does but just have a different animation. And, ultimates it is one of the few things that truly makes you have to decide what class to play. You can duplicate the effect of most class abilities with some sort of weapon, guild, or your class abilities as it is. It will change from we need a sorc to anyone with a destruction staff. Or, we need a nb to anyone with a bow. It will totally eliminate those niche positions that certain classes filled.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cody wrote: »

We would see less people relying on class ultimates and more giving these weapon ultis a chance; a 2H having a block breaking ultimate would force perma blockers/tanks to keep a weary eye out for 2H on the battlefield, for example.

It would certainly be a nice change of pace from the usual banner/veil spam that goes on.
    @Cody
    Crassus is offended, but he's a DK so who cares.
    N'tel is offended, apologize to her. Now. :expressionless:

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

• gurgnir
    gurgnir
    ✭✭
    No
    I'm pretty sure I remember there being weapon ultimates in an early beta version, but then they were removed for balance.

There's already a fair amount of choice with ultimates and I feel they help with class distinction. Would much rather a completely new skill line, than a re-introduction of weapon ultimates.
  • Brizz
    Brizz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Made these up because it's fun to play "Developer" for a day. What do you think? :smiley:

Two Handed
    Devastation
    Channel Time - 5 Seconds
    Target - Area
    Radius - 6 meters
    Duration - 5 Seconds
    Cost - 200 ultimate
    Deals four devastating blows for "X" damage to enemies around player with a final fifth attack dealing "2X" damage. Grants immunity to knockback, disabling effects and snares for the duration.
    m1: Reduces the cost of stamina abilities for 8 seconds.
    m2: Grants a stacking bleed on each successful hit.

One Hand and Shield
    Iron Will
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Area
    Radius - 20 Meters
    Duration - 8 Seconds
    Cost - 250 ultimate
    Reduces damage taken by 20%, and reduces damage of area of effects by 50% for nearby allies for 8 seconds.
    m1: Also grants player damage shield for 40% of their total health
    m2: Increases duration to 12 seconds.

Dual Wield
    Death from Above
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Enemy
    Range - 3.5-24 meters
    Cost - 50 ultimate
    Player leaps to target and attacks, dealing "X" physical damage while reducing the target's healing received by 50.0%.
    m1: Increases Area of effect damage by 10% for 8 seconds.
    m2: Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds.

Bow
    Blot out the Sun
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Self
    Duration - 15 Seconds
    Cost - 150 Ultimate
    Increases area of effect Damage of Volley and Arrow Spray by 20.0% for 15 seconds.
    m1: Increases Range and Radius by 20.0%.
    m2: Can have two Volleys active at a time.

Destruction Staff
    Implosion
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Enemy
    Range - 28 Meters
    Cost - 150 Ultimate
    Deals High Elemental Damage to target that cannot be reflected or resisted.
    m1: All attacks made against target cannot be reflected or resisted for 8 seconds.
    m2: All attacks made against target have 15% increased critical chance for 8 seconds.

Restoration Staff
    Target - Self
    Duration - 8 Seconds
    Cost - 200 Ultimate
    Melee attacks made against player knock back and stun enemies for 4 seconds, and absorbs projectiles.
    m1: Melee attackers are snared for 50% for 10 seconds.
    m2: Projectiles absorbed restore magicka.
    :.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:*"'"* Guild of Shadows *"'":.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:
    Briizz - v14 EP Werewolf Nightblade <Former Emperor - Chillrend NA>
    Brizz The Elder Dragon - v14 EP Dragon Knight
    Brizz - v12 DC Nightblade <Former Emperor - Celarus NA>
    Brizeer - v4 Stamina Sorcerer - Prophet of Zazeer-Destroyer of Buff Severs and Eater of Sweet Rolls-
    Watch LIVE @ www.twitch.tv/brizztv
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Good point. How about weapon based ultimates that react to what class you are?
    Weapon ultimates do not have to be huge lightshows like class ultimates usually are.

Bow, for example, could have an ultiimate allowing one to strike multiple enemies at once, scoring critical hits each time. 1H and shield could have an AOE taunt ultimate; 2H could have some kind of "block breaker" ultimate.

there have been some good ideas in the forums from time to time.

Why make junky ultimates that no one will use we already have plenty of those *cough* radial sweep *cough*
    Brizz wrote: »
    Made these up because it's fun to play "Developer" for a day. What do you think? :smiley:

Two Handed
    Devastation
    Channel Time - 5 Seconds
    Target - Area
    Radius - 6 meters
    Duration - 5 Seconds
    Cost - 200 ultimate
    Deals four devastating blows for "X" damage to enemies around player with a final fifth attack dealing "2X" damage. Grants immunity to knockback, disabling effects and snares for the duration.
    m1: Reduces the cost of stamina abilities for 8 seconds.
    m2: Grants a stacking bleed on each successful hit.

One Hand and Shield
    Iron Will
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Area
    Radius - 20 Meters
    Duration - 8 Seconds
    Cost - 250 ultimate
    Reduces damage taken by 20%, and reduces damage of area of effects by 50% for nearby allies for 8 seconds.
    m1: Also grants player damage shield for 40% of their total health
    m2: Increases duration to 12 seconds.

Dual Wield
    Death from Above
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Enemy
    Range - 3.5-24 meters
    Cost - 50 ultimate
    Player leaps to target and attacks, dealing "X" physical damage while reducing the target's healing received by 50.0%.
    m1: Increases Area of effect damage by 10% for 8 seconds.
    m2: Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds.

Bow
    Blot out the Sun
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Self
    Duration - 15 Seconds
    Cost - 150 Ultimate
    Increases area of effect Damage of Volley and Arrow Spray by 20.0% for 15 seconds.
    m1: Increases Range and Radius by 20.0%.
    m2: Can have two Volleys active at a time.

Destruction Staff
    Implosion
    Cast Time - Instant
    Target - Enemy
    Range - 28 Meters
    Cost - 150 Ultimate
    Deals High Elemental Damage to target that cannot be reflected or resisted.
    m1: All attacks made against target cannot be reflected or resisted for 8 seconds.
    m2: All attacks made against target have 15% increased critical chance for 8 seconds.

Restoration Staff
    Target - Self
    Duration - 8 Seconds
    Cost - 200 Ultimate
    Melee attacks made against player knock back and stun enemies for 4 seconds, and absorbs projectiles.
    m1: Melee attackers are snared for 50% for 10 seconds.
    m2: Projectiles absorbed restore magicka.

^ Genius, hire this man and make it so number 1.
    Edited by kelly.medleyb14_ESO on February 24, 2015 10:41AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

@Cody
    Crassus is offended, but he's a DK so who cares.
    N'tel is offended, apologize to her. Now. :expressionless:

seeing as how this will be my very last comment on the forums.....

I'm not sorry:D and i can't wait to send you to the void come 1.6:) It will be a glorious battle!!!!!!