The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why did the Bleakrock Signal Fire need to be lit?

BadWolfx
BadWolfx
Soul Shriven
I might have missed something but dhalmora didn't know about the attack, did it? And as soon as we get to Dhalmora, the signal fires there need to be lit in order to notify the Watch that there's an attack coming. Since we rally all villagers of Bleakrock, I don't think it's for them to know. Maybe it was for the ship?
Thanks.
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would seem that it was to alert the population there, as you say Dhlamora didn't seem to know and I'm guessing the distance to the island from Stonefalls meant it couldn't be seen from there.

It does seem a tad pointless, I guess ZOS needed a way to get you out of town so they could trigger a phase change .. I wish they didn't do that, Bleakrock would be the most convenient base to operate crafting from with everything you need literally under one roof.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 11, 2015 8:02AM
  • BadWolfx
    BadWolfx
    Soul Shriven
    Kragorn wrote: »
    Are you talking about the signal on Bleakrock?

It would seem that it was to alert the population there, as you say Dhlamora didn't know and I'm guessing the distance to the island from Stonefalls meant it couldn't be seen from there.
    I meant about the signal fires in Bleakrock, before leaving it. I checked out a Let's Play and it says it's for the Mainland, so I'm guessing the Mainland is neither Dhalorma nor Davon's Watch?
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I edited my comment while you were replying, you did say Bleakrock in the thread title, which I overlooked.

Looking at the world map I'd say it was to warn Eastmarch as that seems to be the nearest playable zone to Bleakrock.

Given the proximity of Eastmarch to Bleakrock it seems silly for ZOS to have dumped us far to the south when safety was just across a small expanse of sea.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 11, 2015 8:15AM
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it's a small plot hole. The actual travel route - not the signal fire.

Have a look at the interactive map.

Bleakrock is right below Solstheim (between Solstheim and Windhelm). Yet they flee from the Covenant all the way down to Bal Foyen?

But besides that, you're supposed to lit the signal fire to essentially warn the mainland, which in this instance would be Eastmarch and possibly Solstheim as well (and other ships on sea, too).

It's been mroe than a year since I've played that part of the game for the last time, but I think they also talk a bit about the Covenant forces following them. Considering most parts of the northwestern coast are depicted as being mountainous, they might not be ideal to start an invasion. So Bal Foyen (and Stonefalls) are essentially their Normandy.

This again contradicts the whole signal fire thing a bit, but well...
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my problems with the EP start. If you study a map, Bleakrock could be warning Eastmarch or Morrowind proper. But Bleakrock seems to me to be on a strange position, relative to later events. It's at the top of Morrowind; Bal Foyen is at the bottom, a long way from where you start. And it's here, in this protected area, that the daggers choose to attack? No, that seems silly.

I almost wonder if Eastmarch was the original "first" zone, and then it got changed later?
    Edited by IrishGirlGamer on February 11, 2015 8:22AM
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • BadWolfx
    BadWolfx
    Soul Shriven
    Good answers. I rarely follow quests's story in MMOs because I'm really not a reader and pretty much any game (examples: WoW, Wildstar & 1,000,000 others) give you bibles to read, but to be fair Wildstar actually gives not so much. Still, I just don't like reading. So it's always nice to find out that when I don't understand something in a game that has actually voiced the quests, it's a plot hole and so it's not my fault for not understanding.
    Edited by BadWolfx on February 11, 2015 9:46AM
  • ZOS_EveP
    ZOS_EveP
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has been moved to PvE Discussion - English
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • stonelisticub17_ESO
    ZOS_EveP wrote: »

Would you be so kind as to add a hyperlink for us to follow this thread further at its new location?
    Thank you o:)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_EveP wrote: »

Would you be so kind as to add a hyperlink for us to follow this thread further at its new location?
    Thank you o:)
    The thread's URL hasn't changed, it's just now listed in the Ebonheart Pact category instead of whatever one it was created in.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/ebonheart-pact
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/151182/why-did-the-bleakrock-signal-fire-need-to-be-lit
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp