The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templar lv 32, need help with respec choice

rosarose
rosarose
✭✭
I am playing a templar nord ( I know it's not the best option for a templar ) But when I started getting further up in level, i noticed that some bosses would just kill me not matter what i did. I used heavy armour, 2h, and did not fokus on my healing tree at all ( yes I was a noob with my first char )

Now I have respec my character and I am still not sure what I want her to be, my main goal is to kill stuff and not die ;) I play solo the most because I just don't really know anyone to play with. I was thinking I could use my 2h as the secondary choice of weapon, and maybe level up the restoration staff as first, with more fokus on the healing tree, but should i go light armour then? Or just keep my good heavy armour and put my points into magic instead?

If anyone has any good ideas, I would much appreciate it :) I just feel like I want my character to stay, since she was the first one I made.
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play a Bosmer Templar and levelled to V1 using Medium armor, 2H and Bow. It was tough and there were bosses that were nearly impossible to kill. After V5, I concentrated on levelling light armor and the staves and the game got easy and killing mobs became a cookie-cutter experience - Blazing Spear (Spearshards) -> Puncturing Sweep/Strikes -> Regeneration - when needed and Quick (Force) Siphon on bosses - all while running Magelight. Switching to Light and Res Staff made fighting things like Wisp Mothers routine.

The good thing about Temps is that we can heal without a staff. Using your heavy armor, you could still use your 2H along with Blazing/Sun Shield (keep this up). Cast Eclipse on casters, so they can't directly target you. Blazing Spear can be helpful. Brawl. Execute. Heal when necessary.

Later, if you decide to group for PVE, you'll probably be expected to wear Light and use a Res Staff. In PVP, you can pretty much do what you want - though some things are better than others.
    Edited by Animal_Mother on January 24, 2015 3:26PM
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a melee DPS Templar, I have been asked only a few times to heal. Literally only 3 people ever said "Why aren't you a healer?" after they made melee and stamina good.

Nowadays people don't even give a *** about you being a temp, only as long as you follow a rather cookie cutter build and carry your weight.

Kind of why so many of our abilities are being remade.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • goldnugget
    goldnugget
    ✭✭✭
    well if you are interested in healing i think you should respec for sure. you will need a resto staff and light armor for that. i recently did the same thing and found if you respec, you can easily solo everything at lvl 32, even with low level skill lines, with this:

with full light armor(preferred seducer's set)
    destro or resto staff, doesnt matter which

puncturing sweep - puncturing strike morph
    reflective light - sunfire morph
    rushed ceremony or any heal ability
    radial sweep ult.

and thats all that is required for very easy soloing. you will first cast reflective light for the dot, spam puncturing sweep, use your ult on cd, and rushed ceremony if youre in trouble, which can be replaced with any other heal or may not even be necessary. your entire second bar and a few skills on the first can be devoted to leveling up some skills/lines you want. maybe add wall of elements for more aoe power or another heal spell you want to level. half/half magicka/hp is a decent attribute build for this. for vet leveling your build might look something like this

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#mozX9s8bznF8bzvi8hMZp8bzjH8A4hi8b0pY8fdBf8A4hd8rrYR8LxR48heaR8jJDD8N7JNDG6NDT6bDm6NDu8T7NLRMA8n7xIWQ6bWZ8e7CbaqS8v7mManW8O7MddeF8P7obdYi8Y7RIfJN8zc7zzgeXm8zf7zzNbo8zu7zzHfYE6zHfZd8zG7zzHQ3F8zI7zzJIoX6zJIkL8zN7zzJZcY8zA7zzKpUN8zL7zzK4EX

templar dps is one of the worst in the game at endgame. you should aim to be a healer or a tank. sure, you can do vet dungeons or w.e as dps but the real dps strength comes from DKs and NBs if you care about high dps numbers. unless you are willing to bet on the new patch buffing us or nerfing them which it likely will.
    Edited by goldnugget on January 27, 2015 8:20AM
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for the answers! I must admit that while reading about the 1.6 udate I got very unsure if i wanted to continue with my nord. I mean, i want to do good, and not die to much, i am not the best player either, so if the races will affect even more in 1.6 I was thinking of re rolling a new char.
  • goldnugget
    goldnugget
    ✭✭✭
    rosarose wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the answers! I must admit that while reading about the 1.6 udate I got very unsure if i wanted to continue with my nord. I mean, i want to do good, and not die to much, i am not the best player either, so if the races will affect even more in 1.6 I was thinking of re rolling a new char.

breton is the best for healing as you get 3% spell cost reduction and 10% extra mana. nord is pretty decent for tanking. ultimately racials are only a slight bonus, you can succeed with whatever race you like. if you get to max level, max all your skill lines, and get all the skill points, you can have a tanking build, a healing build, dps, solo, probly a pvp one and craft aswell. you say you want to mostly solo so race wont matter enough to replay 2-3 days of ingame content. Increases damage reduction by 6% is nice for solo, tanking and pvp which you might want to eventually try out. min/maxing bonuses like that really only effect very hardcore players. you don't really know even what you want to do other than quest successfully. you might suddenly fall in love with a tanky pvp build or templars might suddeny be buffed next patch to be hands down the best tank class in the game as dks get nerfed and sorc gets a healing buff.
    Edited by goldnugget on January 27, 2015 1:23AM
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thanks for you comment goldnugget :) That is indeed true, I could use my templar as a tank if I want to do more pvp, I find pvp hard since I am just not used to that kind of gameplay, and I probably would have played it more if I had some friends online. But guess that is what we have guilds for ;)
  • likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    I've always played with a solo mentality myself, having come from previous Elder Scrolls games, and I did find the 2H mostly heavy armor setup to be super fun as I was levelling up. I also get where you're coming from with wanting to preserve your character. My first, main, and favorite character is a Templar. Throughout the levelling, though, I've changed her skills to be DPS (which as @goldnugget‌ mentioned isn't great), healer, and tank (the current setup) depending on the situation, and respec'ed multiple times. Starting out, my cookie cutter attack sequence was always Blazing Spear the mob->Stampede->Biting Jabs and then finish off low HP with Reverse Slice. Dungeon bosses were a bit harder, so they got to eat my Nova and and burn away :smile: while I attacked. Sun Fire/Reflective Light is a good opener as well.

Don't discount damage mitigation, though. Especially if you want to avoid dying. For example, I initially took the Biting Jabs morph of Puncturing Strikes, but respec'ed it to Puncturing Sweep because the heal quite literally saved my life on many occasions. The Radial Sweep ultimate morphed to Empowering Sweep is another example. 15% damage reduction, plus 4% extra per enemy hit. And the cost is extremely low. Rune Focus from the Restoring Light tree can also be good for mitigation. It gets a bad rap because the radius you have to stand in is shockingly small, but when you're doing quests and fighting groups of 2 or 3, the radius you actually fight in with 2H is small anyway. And it's also cheap to cast. Lastly, probably the best mitigation comes from Sun/Blazing Shield. It's the last skill in the Aedric line, so it can take some time to get, but if you keep the shield active, you can't die (ideally speaking of course).

For me, the sense of fun was fueled by being able to fight mob after mob while questing. Cheaper spells and dividing my damage between magicka and stamina based helped so I could keep fighting, and damage mitigation meant I didn't have to keep an eye on my HP. As far as armor goes, light means your spells cost less, heavy means you die less. That's a crude/simple way of stating it, I know. People will argue full light is better, full heavy is better, etc, but it's all really up to you. Find the combo that lets you have the most fun. If you go all light, you can make up the armor deficit with stuff like Rune Focus or Circle of Protection (Fighter's Guild line). If you go heavy, you can get your spell cost down with rings and a necklace. At level 32, you can really make anything work.

If you're ever playing in the Aldmeri Dominion, give me a shout and we can play together! Good luck and have fun!
    "War doesn't build character, it reveals it."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rosarose wrote: »
    I used heavy armour, 2h, and did not fokus on my healing tree at all ( yes I was a noob with my first char )

I just rolled my first Templar a couple of weeks ago. I am at L34 now and I have to say this is the most powerful character I have made yet. I realized last night I was running around with L26 gear on her, so I had even handicapped her. But I was doing Group Dungeons above my level last night, so that can tell you how powerful the class is.

I also don't focus on my healing tree and just have a skill slotted so it will level up, but rarely use it. My Templar is mostly DPS.

However, currently, Templars are Magic characters so that means Light Armor not Heavy. With 1.6 it seems that more Stamina love is going to be shown, so that means Medium Armor to take advantage of that.

I currently use a Destruction Staff but find the Class Skills are better for combat. I have not even started leveling my secondary weapon, I use a Destro Staff on both bars even. I may not give her any other weapon, but that Charge skill intrigues me and using that with a staff just does not seem right.

If your EP, I can run with you tonight and show you a few things, maybe even make you an armor set that will help you out.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• goldnugget
    goldnugget
    ✭✭✭
    @likewow777 actually, looking at the patch notes, i think templar dps may be somewhat viable now. im not sure.
    Edited by goldnugget on January 27, 2015 11:51PM
  • Pengeszikra
    Pengeszikra
    ✭✭
    2h templar is alway my favorite setup. Don't need any fancy class skill just burning shield. 2nd weapon is resto or one hand and shield ... this is also helpfull at pvp.

If put skill point to healing tree it is give great bonus for rally too.

I think you dont need to reroll your character just need a little bit more combat training.
  • Pengeszikra
    Pengeszikra
    ✭✭
    For stamina fighter build medium armorgive much more favor at this moment. Werewolf in human form also give extra stamina regeneration.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    For leveling:

7/7 Light Armor
    Resto Staff. 5 piece warlock/seducer works well for longevity.

Loadout 1: Spear Shards, Rushed Ceremony, Puncturing Sweep, Rune Focus, Sun Shield. If you don't have that all yet, put whatever you want on the bar after sweep, ceremony, and shards.

Loadout 2: Sword and Shield. Rushed Ceremony, Puncturing Sweep, (3 abilities you want to level).

All attributes in health. All enchants for Magicka. This is a leveling plow that should never die. If you want to mix in other pieces of armor to level with, feel free, but it hurts your regen while leveling.

I personally have timed it being quicker to level quickly with this loadout then go grind the spellskar to level other things than anything else.

If there's one thing Templars are overpowered at, it's leveling. I didn't even need help on a world boss using this leveling method until I was V10. There's a few public dungeons that are somewhat tough, but this is the way to go my man.

All you do is go like this:

Drop rune focus. Throw Spear Shards at target, spam puncturing sweep until they all die. Not complicated. Simple, and effective. You can level Empowering Sweep as your ultimate and use that for flat damage reduction. Don't worry, in a month or so you'll get a free respec anyway.
  • AlienPrimate
    AlienPrimate
    ✭✭
    I play a Bosmer Templar and levelled to V1 using Medium armor, 2H and Bow. It was tough and there were bosses that were nearly impossible to kill. After V5, I concentrated on levelling light armor and the staves and the game got easy and killing mobs became a cookie-cutter experience - Blazing Spear (Spearshards) -> Puncturing Sweep/Strikes -> Regeneration - when needed and Quick (Force) Siphon on bosses - all while running Magelight. Switching to Light and Res Staff made fighting things like Wisp Mothers routine.

This is the exact same build I use for soloing with the exception of regeneration. I use breath of life instead of that just in case I get cc'd or hit really hard by something. The combination of puncturing sweep and quick siphon allows you to heal through nearly any amount of pve damage. Puncturing sweep will heal a good chunk on it's own and most of the time you don't even have to use siphon, but against tougher enemies, every use of puncturing sweep will proc sipnon 4 times. Against one enemy, this will heal me for about 1/3 my max hp every use of puncturing sweep. Against world bosses I usually switch magelight to restoring (rune) focus which gives me 1250 armor and spell resistance along with 15% more healing from puncturing sweep and quick siphon. With this build I solo everything in the game with ease (public dungeons, world bosses, and dolmens).

It's important to note that this build will only work with light armor because it is dependent on always spamming puncturing sweep. If you are not using it, you will not heal and you will die.
    Edited by AlienPrimate on February 3, 2015 2:48AM
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the nice thing is , there is sooo much content and skillpoints that you can do multiple builds and keep respecing. my templar has all weapons but dualwield, light, heavy fully leveled and medium is 3/4 leveled. all class skills and multiple crafts, as well as some guild alliance perks. plus there is still lots more skillpoints for me to get in alliance war and in the third alliance quests(which i skipped in leu of grinding)
    dont be afraid to respec multiple times. once moves level up all the way start using new skills/weapons armors. then by the time you play all the solo content you can respec into what you like best for endgame content because you unlocked everything and and have some experience in everything.
    good luck.
  • likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    the nice thing is , there is sooo much content and skillpoints that you can do multiple builds and keep respecing. my templar has all weapons but dualwield, light, heavy fully leveled and medium is 3/4 leveled. all class skills and multiple crafts, as well as some guild alliance perks. plus there is still lots more skillpoints for me to get in alliance war and in the third alliance quests(which i skipped in leu of grinding)
    dont be afraid to respec multiple times. once moves level up all the way start using new skills/weapons armors. then by the time you play all the solo content you can respec into what you like best for endgame content because you unlocked everything and and have some experience in everything.
    good luck.

I agree 100%.
  • likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    goldnugget wrote: »
    @likewow777 actually, looking at the patch notes, i think templar dps may be somewhat viable now. im not sure.

Totally agree. I've been playing with the new skills and it seems that a DPS Templar build, using actual class skills, is viable. My Templar is a tank, so I don't really have the necessary spell/weapon damage specs to really do the kind of damage I've been reading about. But even with my "slow" Templar, I can get 4500, or so, damage on single target (world bosses, mammoths, etc). And that's just me swapping skills for hard hitting ones without doing anything else. If you pick your build specs right, I've heard of several people getting in the 8k-11k range.
  • Lord Xanhorn
    Lord Xanhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK let me give you the most fun build I have had in this game yet. Its OP at leveling and with a few minor adjustments, go straight into full healer mode for dungeons.

7/7 light armor seducer set. If you want to go 5 seducer 5 magnus thats even better. Use the training trait if necessary to boost your light armor to 50 asap.

All points into Magicka
    All enchants into magicka until you are soft capped...then health

2H and resto staff

Resto staff loadout

Reflective Light
    Dark Flare
    Healing springs
    Purifying Light
    Binding Javalin

Ult: Solar Disturbance

2H loadout

Brawler/Executioner depending on whether you are fighting 1 or multi targets
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Critical Rush
    Breath of Life
    Repentance

Ult: Crescent Sweep

You maximize your magicka since that's the only resource you can't regen quickly and if you want to switch to full healer, you're already all set on the gear/stats.

Here's the rotation

- Stand as far away from the mobs as possible to maximize critical rush....
    - Start with Resto staff
    - Cast Dark Flare from far away.
    - As soon as dark flare is on the way, shoot a reflective light
    - They both get to the mob about the same time
    - As soon as you reflective light switch to 2h
    - Critical Charge in and do a brawler which puts up a damage shield
    follow that up with a puncturing sweeps and if they arent dead after that...Ultimate Crescent Sweep and another pucturing sweep/Brawler.
    - After everything is dead, cast Repentance to immediately restore all your stam/health
    - Onto the next pull with no down time

With that rotation, things die so fast and you literally have no down time as repentance restores your weak stamina pool/setup. Your magicka cause its maxed out barely moves...or is regened quickly.

Notes:
    When fighting bosses, throw a purifying light in there to add to the dps.
    Use breath of life in emergency situations
    For real fun, switch to your staff,,,, javalin the mob while backing up then immediately switch to the 2h and charge in....It seems unfair as it does so much damage while they are CCd.
    Keep Healing springs on the bar so you can constantly be leveling the resto staff tree although you wont use that ability much when you are questing.
    I dont use mage light all that much honestly cause its not really needed and it take up 2 valuable slots.

My loadout below

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#moVzvxk9Mv9c8rFTY8rFTc8heam8rHnY8bzpM8rFyV8wAvw8bznQ8wAEb8frrK8ffkr8b0pS8N7DLDm6LDi6LDG6MbMUf6MbMXv6MbMXO6MbMX28j7DLSZ6rU06LUM6rUR6MrJO16MrJPr6MrJPh6MrJPu8n7DLWQ6LWU6MfwgO6MfwgU6Mfwg26Mfwe08x7HLsfd6Lsfr6Lsfw6MwGN16MwGAR6MwGAs6MwGAa6MwGAb8v7HLanU6Mhy3D6Mhx0n6Mhx0y6Mhx0l6Mhx0B8zR7zzEwXB8zf7zzNbo8zu7zzHfYE6zHfZd8zG7zzHQ3F8zI7zzJIoX6zJIkL8zN7zzJZcY8zA7zzKpUN8zL7zzK4EX
    I'm kind of a small deal!
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a melee DPS Templar, I have been asked only a few times to heal. Literally only 3 people ever said "Why aren't you a healer?" after they made melee and stamina good.

Nowadays people don't even give a *** about you being a temp, only as long as you follow a rather cookie cutter build and carry your weight.

Kind of why so many of our abilities are being remade.

Saying this again, and...
    likewow777 wrote: »
    goldnugget wrote: »

Totally agree. I've been playing with the new skills and it seems that a DPS Templar build, using actual class skills, is viable. My Templar is a tank, so I don't really have the necessary spell/weapon damage specs to really do the kind of damage I've been reading about. But even with my "slow" Templar, I can get 4500, or so, damage on single target (world bosses, mammoths, etc). And that's just me swapping skills for hard hitting ones without doing anything else. If you pick your build specs right, I've heard of several people getting in the 8k-11k range.

Templars are scary powerful now, especially as Magicka thanks to Radiant Destruction, but as a stamina Templar that uses a 2H and Bow with a 5/1/1 medium armor set up, I can tell you that my class skills have grossly increased my DPS, and I just learned that uppercut wasn't doing as much damage as it was supposed to be doing, sooooo basically my 9k is going to turn into 10k.

Templars are back baby lol
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!