The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PS4 / xbox players playing with PC players

• coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Grapdjan wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Indeed. This is one of the major reasons why Zenimax is not devoting resources correctly. Adding a new server is just silly, and costs a lot of money.
    Edited by coldreactive_ESO on April 6, 2015 10:26AM
    NA PC Megaserver
    Lucradia Valeri (D.Summoner) / Saeko Meina (T.Healer)
    GMT -0600 (Central Time, Wisconsin) - PvE Only
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hexi wrote: »
    Lionxoft wrote: »
    Sure, but most console players aren't decent, not by a longshot. Most PC gamers aren't either, don't get me wrong, but addons help in that regard, which is an option console players simply do not have and that is the key difference.

There's not an add-on that's available in which it gives a far superior advantage while in combat except when comparing who can beta test the game better. :wink: For the longest time, I watched one of the best stamia NB on the US server since launch (My opinion) play with using an extremely minimal UI. He used combat cloud which basically just showed when he crit.

I think you kinda missed the point.

Good players will be good no matter what.

Bad players will be better with addons. Not by huge margins, but more effective regardless. It's a difference, a difference console players are barred from.

I don't play on a console, havne't had one since PS2 so I don't care at all. I'm just making the argument that it would be bad to mix the platforms because console players would rage about it.

That's the point though they won't. Destiny has absolutely *** all ESO feature packed with a well laid out UI compared to destiny. You want to know the only 2 things they moaned about? No chat and no high end match making.

Where as anyone playing eso would have complained about
    Can't see players health
    No mini map
    No way points
    No location markers for collectables
    No timers
    No nothing
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »
    Sure, but most console players aren't decent, not by a longshot. Most PC gamers aren't either, don't get me wrong, but addons help in that regard, which is an option console players simply do not have and that is the key difference.

There's not an add-on that's available in which it gives a far superior advantage while in combat except when comparing who can beta test the game better. :wink: For the longest time, I watched one of the best stamia NB on the US server since launch (My opinion) play with using an extremely minimal UI. He used combat cloud which basically just showed when he crit.

I think you kinda missed the point.

Good players will be good no matter what.

Bad players will be better with addons. Not by huge margins, but more effective regardless. It's a difference, a difference console players are barred from.

I don't play on a console, havne't had one since PS2 so I don't care at all. I'm just making the argument that it would be bad to mix the platforms because console players would rage about it.

I don't think that bad players are assisted by add-ons even in the slightest though. I don't think it's going to make bad players less bad lol. Let's be honest, a UI bubble that says "CLEANSE" is not going to help someone anymore than watching their character get hit by a lethal arrow or if they are marked. The visual cues in this game are fairly exceptional in that they are pretty unique. I don't think that add-ons are necessary or have any merit on how good a player can be even if the "base" competence is low.

I personally think that console players could compete just as well as the PC community but that all depends on the HID and how it's setup.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

Indeed. This is one of the major reasons why Zenimax is not devoting resources correctly. Adding a new server is just silly, and costs a lot of money.

I bet they use the same servers just won't allow console and PC to inhabit the same instance.
  • coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

I bet they use the same servers just won't allow console and PC to inhabit the same instance.

And virtual servers caused problems for Angels Online. All of their "Servers" were on one physical server. So if a lot of people were on let's say US_East we'll call it, the EU Server would lag horribly. Too bad their Physical server was in China, causing lag for everyone.
    NA PC Megaserver
    Lucradia Valeri (D.Summoner) / Saeko Meina (T.Healer)
    GMT -0600 (Central Time, Wisconsin) - PvE Only
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

And virtual servers caused problems for Angels Online. All of their "Servers" were on one physical server. So if a lot of people were on let's say US_East we'll call it, the EU Server would lag horribly. Too bad their Physical server was in China, causing lag for everyone.

More lag and problems? Then yeah that's exactly what they are going to do.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

Microsoft, thats why.
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Microsoft, thats why.

I hope you wrote that from a Mac haha
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it did happen, I'm pretty sure our mods/add-ons would be taken away.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »
    Chelo wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Because console players would ruin the experience for PC players....

That's the attitude of the PCmasterrace yet where called the console kids. Makes me laugh it truly does.

Please look at FFXIV if you need an example. Console players are shunned. A little research and you'll understand why. A few key points: they use inferior system platforms, pay more for the same video games compared to PC, have slower reaction time, and are part of an online community overran by children and immature adults who do not even identify as gamers. The last one is the absolute worst.

Also, I find the "where" in your statement ever-so hilarious. You should have checked your grammar considering you're trying to set an example as to the level of console-gamer intelligence or maturity.

For starters, I primarily game on PC. HOWEVER, I also play on each of the latest gen consoles (XB1, PS4, Wii U), and also still on XBox360 and PS3 from time to time thanks to lack of backwards compatibility for the most part (also some friends have yet to upgrade).

ON EVERY PLATFORM, you will find tweens playing Mature games, adults acting immature, and those who are narrow-minded (refer to your own post). You are talking to him/her about grammar yet most of us who are ACTUALLY INTELLIGENT and not just tell ourselves that on forums to live in ignorant bliss know a few things: 1) People come together from all parts of the world, including those where English is not their primary language yet they still like to interact with English-speaking gamers. 2) There is grammar and there is gramma. My point being (since you most likely have not yet figured it out), is that internet talk is not a thesis paper, resume, nor a report as per a career with certain responsibilities may have to produce. 3) A real gamer knows no allegiance to a specific platform nor involves in fanboyism/false elitism because WE will game wherever we want, however we want, and that can differ greatly from gamer to gamer.

I know damn well if I didn't play on all systems I would be missing out on something I'd like to play. So, sit in your make-believe land of butterflies landing on the nose of a doe while a unicorn gallops by the purple waterfall in the background, and leave real gamer to talk us gamers.

There is only one master-race in gaming. Multi-platform master race. I game on a top notch laptop, a custom built desktop, all current and relevant as to my tastes previous gen consoles, and do not feel that ZOS, EA, Activision, SquareEnix, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Sega, or any other brands you can think of owe allegiance to us if money isn't involved in some way, shape, or form (they are in the business of sustaining a profit if they'd like to continue to create software, hardware, etc.. after all). So given that realization, I give props and respect to each of them and plenty that I have left out for the sake of summarizing but not allegiance. I spend my money and gaming-time where and how I like, without all the label bull-crap.

With that said, I have an acronym for you. It starts with S and ends with U, leaving two letters in between. Happy adventuring. :grin:
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »
    Also, what lordrichter said is very important. Because everyone knows full well that when this game's population begins to plummet on all three platforms that merging them is the next logical step.

Thanks for that, but they won't do it for one main reason: console people will complain that all the good names are taken.

They might not go the route of a host of other MMOs that have consolidated their servers, but if they do end up consolidating, or even letting the different platforms play with each other, the resulting name conflicts will be a nightmare.

It is already too late for this with the EU and NA megaservers, so the horses have already left the barn, so to speak.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is important to NOTE that ps2 cupld play ff11 with ps3, xbox, pc, and mac. ff14 plays ps3/ps4/pc/mac . Everquest did it with ps2/pc. The list goes on and on with the games that did/can do it. The reason they WONT do it is because it is too much effort to try to get the big wigs to agree to do something like that. Therefor you will always get the canned excuse.

IT IS 2015! Gamers are sick of being segregated! What is this race vs race again? It is a pitty that crappy consoles have to fight so much with each other and create competition that in the long run HURTS gamers. Sadly gamers dont look at it like this.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

Can you link to where you saw it was Zenimax's choice to add specific platform servers? I mean, it couldn't be Microsoft and Sony not wanting to play together nicely or anything, right?

My personal opinion; since this game is on both consoles, the companies don't want to allow cross platform/merged players. Originally this game was supposed to be pc only. Then Sony contacted Zenimax about getting the game. Sony agreed to waive the psn+ or whatever their network is called fee. If the only game you were playing online was ESO, you wouldn't have to pay for psn+. Microsoft refused to waive the fee. Even if the only game xbox one players needed the microsoft network for was ESO, they would still have to pay the fee.

• ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Can you link to where you saw it was Zenimax's choice to add specific platform servers? I mean, it couldn't be Microsoft and Sony not wanting to play together nicely or anything, right?

My personal opinion; since this game is on both consoles, the companies don't want to allow cross platform/merged players. Originally this game was supposed to be pc only. Then Sony contacted Zenimax about getting the game. Sony agreed to waive the psn+ or whatever their network is called fee. If the only game you were playing online was ESO, you wouldn't have to pay for psn+. Microsoft refused to waive the fee. Even if the only game xbox one players needed the microsoft network for was ESO, they would still have to pay the fee.

Quite frankly the thing I like least about PS4 is PSN. It is highly unreliable in comparison to XBox Live. Microsoft has a right to charge for their services.... good luck seeing bots plaguing their servers, you will see what ban-hammer really means. Speaking of which, I have since seen bots at it again, hopefully ZOS stays on top of this so that we don't have a repeat of the annoyances that plagued us last year in ESO (bots, gold spammers, etc..).

However, of course not everyone is comfortable with paying for a premium service... but you get what you pay for. That's what I miss about the subscription model of ESO, however I do think OVERALL B2P is a good change... just please don't go F2P anytime over the next few years. :grin:
  • King Bozo
    King Bozo
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox all the way period for me. I will bounce back and fourth from pc to xbox.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Microsoft, thats why.

I hope you wrote that from a Mac haha

I did actually lol early 2011 macbook pro
    so boo yah!
  • MAOofDC
    MAOofDC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering is it because until Windows 10 goes live they CAN'T play on the same server? One of Microsoft's major reasons for developing Win 10 (besides money) is so that PC and XBox One users can seamlessly interact. Once Win 10 goes live what is stopping ZOS from putting the two servers together?
    Guild Master of the Guild <The Wrath of Sheogorath>. CHEESE AND CABBAGE FOR EVERYONE!!!

• Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eew. Why?

Blame Microsoft and Sony for their in-fighting. Neither platform will allow cross-platform communication without an exclusivity agreement for their console. FFXIV - No XB1 for you! ZOS was not willing to cutout half the console market.
    Edited by Dominoid on April 6, 2015 1:01PM
  • Slashz
    Slashz
    Soul Shriven
    Indeed it's won't be fair for console players to compete with pcmasterrace eso with addons :D
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this was made clear by ZOS almost 2+ years ago before we even started closed PC beta. It's all over the website, no idea why anyone would have had any other assumption other than the facts that all would be seperate other than PC and Mac.

Personally I'd rather not be on the same servers because any patch would then be held up by a console cert process.
    Other updates would just not occur at all as PC can do things each console cannot and vice versa for each console.

Careful what you desire.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAOofDC wrote: »
    I am wondering is it because until Windows 10 goes live they CAN'T play on the same server? One of Microsoft's major reasons for developing Win 10 (besides money) is so that PC and XBox One users can seamlessly interact. Once Win 10 goes live what is stopping ZOS from putting the two servers together?

Going forward, it has that potential for games written as Windows 10 'apps.' But for the legacy games, probably case by case situation. For an existing mmo with millions of lines of code, it would probably need a massive re-write.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eew. Why?

Unless Microsoft or Sony have some specific requirements on server placement and isolation, my expectation is that the console megaservers will be in the same datacenters. If ZOS is clever enough, and the consoles allow it, and they want to go this route, they could even have two huge megaservers (EU/NA) with resources that can be allocated to the platform that needs it most. For example, if PS4 is not popular but PC/Mac and XBox are, they could take hardware resources from PS4 and use them for XBox or PC/Mac.

For maintenance reasons, they will probably not have shared resources because this would require simultaneous maintenance across all platforms when these shared resources need to be updated. The console servers will probably have more down time while they tweak things and the PC/Mac people would find that annoying if the platform servers shared resources that needed to be updated. However, if the world itself is stable enough, and they have the megaserver organized so that the world data comes from a resource that can be shared across platforms, then they could have back end things like item information, NPC information, zones, etc on hardware that is used commonly by all platforms and have the front end stuff (channel, instance, player, and character information) handled by platform specific hardware.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • liammozzb16_ESO
    liammozzb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Eew. Why?

Blame Microsoft and Sony for their in-fighting. Neither platform will allow cross-platform communication without an exclusivity agreement for their console. FFXIV - No XB1 for you! ZOS was not willing to cutout half the console market.

Wrong sony said yes and Microsoft said no.
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue is damage numbers. On the PC we have to have an addon that tells us how much damage we do. That's key info for any player and build. TBH, having console involvement is going to just be bad for all. Skyrim was a good example of this. Delayed releases of content to accommodate one platform. Lack of content release because the Devs have to split their time to address bugs on four different formats of the game. Honestly, I hope they realize this, cancel the console release, and credit everyone who pre-ordered with in game time or crowns.
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    King Bozo wrote: »
    Xbox all the way period for me. I will bounce back and fourth from pc to xbox.

If you're referring to playing ESO on both systems, you can't do that unless you have separate accounts. Only a one-time copy from PC to console, and only if you meet the requirements.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • TiltedEvo
    TiltedEvo
    I personally think this is a massive missed opportunity.

Final Fantasy 14 has been PS4/PC cross play for years now and ESO should of done this.

Microsoft have finally caught up and said they are open to the idea, so hopefully we will start seeing more cross-play games now that Microsoft have let their guard down a bit.

The next generation of online games could be really interesting for sure.