The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Anyone having game freezing for a second issue?

RSram
RSram
✭✭✭✭✭
Lately, I'd been having problems again with the game's frame rate constantly freezing every 10 minutes, and when I enter areas with a large number of players, my latency jumps from 99 to over 170 which causes the game to get really impossible to play.

I originally had Comcast and dropped them due to bad support, and now I am with AT&T. In all the speed tests that I do my latency is about 30 to 40 ms. I had AT&T test my lines and I had no issues or errors. With the exception of updates, I haven't changed my computer or internal network configuration in the the last two years.

Changing the graphics to 1024 * 764 with every either turned off, or on low doesn't make a difference.

So is anyone else having this issue?
Edited by RSram on January 17, 2015 11:21PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to try getting this moved to the support forums, but are you saying that in regular latency tests (in your browser, not looking at the game), you're getting 30-40ms ping? Because that's actually pretty high for a test. I find that my connection generally gets 10-12ms when I'm just doing a standard test in-browser.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the test is through a browser.
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, having game freeze for a second, though not on a regular basis. I didn't check latency, since it's more of an annoyance and not a big issue for me.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Deviante
    Deviante
    ✭✭
    I wanted to hurt you irl when you complained about your ping jumping from 99-170.
    As an Australian player WE (and I say we because this is almost a nightly discussion with the majority in agreement) deal with 270-350 latency extremely inconsistently throughout all periods of play.
    In regards to the game freezes, I have been having this issue for a few days now and its incredibly frustrating to say the least. The game will momentarily freeze at random intervals, sometimes to the point of saying that it is not responding then suddenly recover.

Now if i was questing then no big deal but in pvp or vet dungeons or higher that is instant death and you may as well not be a part of your group because you are only holding them back.
    Options
  • iliev.rumenb16_ESO
    I have the same problem. My game freezes so hard I have to restart my laptop in order to fix it and my FPS drops to 11 on high populated areas ... I have been on constant e-mail contact with the customer support since I bought the game 2 weeks ago and now they have Escalated my problem to some higher authority. I will post the fix if there is one ...
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. My game freezes so hard I have to restart my laptop in order to fix it and my FPS drops to 11 on high populated areas ... I have been on constant e-mail contact with the customer support since I bought the game 2 weeks ago and now they have Escalated my problem to some higher authority. I will post the fix if there is one ...

Thanks, lets us know what you find out.
    Options
  • iliev.rumenb16_ESO
    I fixed it.

First my specs - i7, 8g ram, GT750M on a Lenovo laptop.

What I did is the following:
    1. Make your hidden folders visible.
    2. Travel to your "C" Drive
    3. Delete the folder named nVidia
    4. Go to Program Files and delete all nVidia associated folders
    5. Go to Program Files(x86) and delete all nVidia associated folders
    6. Go to ProgramData and delete all nVidia associated folders
    7. Go to "Users\(username)\AppData\Local" and delete all nVidia associated
    folders
    8. Go to "Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming" and delete all nVidia associated
    folders

Then install driver 347.25 - the latest.

Make a shortcut of eso.exe and make the game run as administrator and in compability mode Windows 7.

In documents/Elder Scrolls Online/LiveEU (or Live if you are in US) edit the file Usersettings.txt with the following parameters:

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "-1"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1"
    To:
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "0"
    To:
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "1"

And change the fullscreen resolution in the file with the desired resolution. I don't have the file Read Only so the game may change things in it but it haven't changed any of the above options I changed.

That was all I did and the game runs pretty much ok.

90 FPS in dungeons

60 FPS in the world

35 FPS in high populated areas or a big fight.

I hope this helps.
    Options
  • thawt29b14_ESO
    I fixed it.

First my specs - i7, 8g ram, GT750M on a Lenovo laptop.

What I did is the following:
    1. Make your hidden folders visible.
    2. Travel to your "C" Drive
    3. Delete the folder named nVidia
    4. Go to Program Files and delete all nVidia associated folders
    5. Go to Program Files(x86) and delete all nVidia associated folders
    6. Go to ProgramData and delete all nVidia associated folders
    7. Go to "Users\(username)\AppData\Local" and delete all nVidia associated
    folders
    8. Go to "Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming" and delete all nVidia associated
    folders

Then install driver 347.25 - the latest.

Make a shortcut of eso.exe and make the game run as administrator and in compability mode Windows 7.

In documents/Elder Scrolls Online/LiveEU (or Live if you are in US) edit the file Usersettings.txt with the following parameters:

To:

SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "0"
    To:
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "1"

And change the fullscreen resolution in the file with the desired resolution. I don't have the file Read Only so the game may change things in it but it haven't changed any of the above options I changed.

That was all I did and the game runs pretty much ok.

90 FPS in dungeons

60 FPS in the world

35 FPS in high populated areas or a big fight.

I hope this helps.

I just tried this and I will post the results.

Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tired it and it didn't do anything. I already tried the settings in the "usersettings.txt" several months ago.

My video card is a Geforce GTX with 4 GB of Vram, so Vram is no an issue.

I don't think this is a video issue because I can play the game at 1024 x 768 (every option turned off, or to the low settings) and I still get pauses in the game. I'm think it is a network issue.
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently have AT&T because Comcast could not keep my Internet connection up and running. When I had Comcast, I didn't have as much of an issue with the game freezing as I had with AT&T.

The attached image, show how big a difference there is in the consistency between the Comcast and AT&T's network connection at my location. Note that the Comcast results were taken from a neighbor's apartment, and I was using the same internal network and router configuration in both tests. The consistency of the AT&T's upload in my apartment sucks big time.

It's the network upload and download consistency which is the most important when playing ESO, not your internet speed. This has to do with how the ESO servers synchronize with your client.

Sadly there isn't much you can do about the internal network architecture of a network provider. Currently, my AT&T connection to the ESO goes through 11 states while Comcast only goes through two which is why the AT&T network has terrible lag.

To test your network consistency use the following link: Verizon Speed Testek165g.jpg
    Options
  • thawt29b14_ESO
    Okay first my specs.

GPU GeForce GTX 770 4 gig

Intel Core i5-4670k @3.40 GHz

16 gigs of RAM

In game resolution 1920x1080
    In Nvidia GeForce experience it says 2715x1527 DSR... Whatever that means. lol

Driver version 347.25

OS Win7 64 bit.

So i have been playing since my last post (Couple hours?) and I have not had any issues at all with the game randomly freezing for a few seconds.

Although I used to get 100 FPS in a lot of different areas but it seems now I only get 60 FPS. I think that is some setting somewhere.

I thought it was my crappy Century Link ISP but apparently not...
    Options
  • themizario
    themizario
    ✭✭✭
    I had an issue where all of a sudden everything freezes and goes back to normal. Got a faster processor - problem solved. 8 cores better than 4 I guess.

See if you can over clock your stuff or keep it cooler. I dunno an idea
    Options
  • Vlakna
    Vlakna
    ✭✭✭
    I have been experiencing freeze for 3 to 5 secs every minute or so. Sometimes even worse. I did play the game since beta with no issues at all. Now I tried the user settings below:
    To:

Sadly when i do this. The game works for a while and then it shuts down. Yes, you are reading correctly it shuts down or restart and then the game wont run. I contacted support and nothing there. Anyone knw what else i can do. I will appreciate some help.
    Options
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vlakna: Sounds like you might have some memory or driver issue. How much system RAM do you have? Are you using the latest drivers available for your hardware (especially graphics card)?

If you're on Windows, you might be lucky switching the Game's renderer to DirectX 9. Open the same file as above and look for the value GraphicsDriver.7. Change it from D3D11 to D3D9.

If you don't want to edit your settings by hand, you can try my addon ESO Toolbox, which offers you a nice in-game interface to adjust these things.
    Edited by Smaxx on February 25, 2015 10:59AM
    Options
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Nvidia GeForce experience it says 2715x1527 DSR... Whatever that means. lol

Disable DSR. This means the graphics card will render the game at a significantly higher resolution to improve graphics quality at the cost of performance. Something that's completely unnecessary for a game like ESO, since ESO does the same as well with it's subsampling setting.

You're essentially "oversizing" the game twice, which might be the cause of your issues.
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the DSR setting
    Options
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to find it in the 3D settings of the Nvidia Control Panel.
    Options
  • Vlakna
    Vlakna
    ✭✭✭
    @ Smaxx

Thank you for your response. I have 8GB RAM on my system and yes I am using the latest NVIDIA drivers. I wil try your suggestions and see how it works. Much appreciated.

Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already had DSR turned off.
    Options
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of ideas for now then. Also your actual network bandwidth (which the tests verified) shouldn't matter that much. Most games (and even MMOs) should run happily with a dial-up connection.

To actually test the game's connection, you could use Windows' Resource Monitor:
    • Hit Win+R to open the Run dialog.
    • Enter resmon and click Ok.
    • Open the Network tab.
    • If the game isn't running yet, open it.
    • Locate the entry eso.exe in the topmost list and tick the checkbox on the left side.
    • Now scroll down to the section TCP connections.
    • Check the values listed under Packet Loss and Latency.

The window should look a bit like this (note that my Windows is set to German):
    qi47xC1.png

Both Packet Loss (ideally 0%) and Latency (ideally as low as possible) are far more important for a good gameplay experience than actual internet bandwidth.

Just keep in mind that this might only explain your lag spikes. This has nothing to do with the occassional freezing.
    Edited by Smaxx on February 25, 2015 10:40PM
    Options
  • Vlakna
    Vlakna
    ✭✭✭
    Well I change the DSR settings modify the DX11 to DX9 and nothing is helping. Now that I disable DSR settings is worst. Now it freezes like every 10 secs. Not sure what to do anymore. According to ZOS I should wait for patch 1.6 to do live since I was not having problems in PTS. Not sure anymore since I have not downloaded the recent patches.

Anything else anyone wants to share?

Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no packet lost, but latency is 50 ms
    Options
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then at least your connectin seems to be fine. 50 ms is perfectly fine, especially if you're not close to the server.
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the problem is. I play ESO at 3 am during the weekdays, so I know there shouldn't be an issue with bandwidth congestion. I have no problems with the current PTS version, only the live version. Minimizing all my settings don't make a difference with the live version. Plugging my computer directly into the modem doesn't make a difference. My download and upload speeds are 60/12 Mbps which a way more than I need to play ESO. I pretty much ruled out my network , computer , and graphics configuration because I can play Battlefield 4 and many other online games with everything to the max at 2560 X 1440 and stay within 50 - 60 FPS and the game is smooth with no jittering with 64 players maps.

I have two high end computers both with I7 extremes, one with 25 GBs and the other with 64 GBs of RAM, both using a 1TB PCI-E SSD drive which gives me a 5 GPS throughput in read write speed, one computer is using Gefore 680 (4 VRAM) and the other is using a Geforce 690. Both mother boards are an Asus Ramage IV. The router that I am using is a Netgear R7000. I am using port triggering on the router to bypass the NAT.

Also note that I didn't have a problem until I believe update 1.4 came online, until then, I had every setting turned up to the max with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 with not problem at sustaining 60 FPS, not I rarely get 45 FSP even when turning everything down to medium at 1920 X 1080.

I'm a retired network administrator and I'd been running a small business building custom gaming computers since 1989, so I have some experience in dealing with gaming issues due to misconfigured networks and computers. So something has really changed in the net and gaming code since update 1.4 and it isn't affecting everyone.

Edited by RSram on March 25, 2015 5:00PM
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an WTF moment in troubleshooting:

After doing all the reconfiguration on my gaming computer, I decided to start from scratch. I removed the ESO client completely, deleted all ESO files from my documents. I reset my Nvidia 3D settings back to default, rebooted my computer, reloaded the ESO client, and I now get 50 -60 FPS in most areas with minimum jitter.

Lets see how long this will last.
    Options