The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 6 Guide: The Champion System"

ZOS_JasonLeavey
ZOS_JasonLeavey
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the official discussion thread for the web article "Update 6 Guide: The Champion System."

Learn all about this brand new way of continuing your characters' growth and progression, coming with Update 6!
Edited by ZOS_KaiSchober on January 15, 2015 3:05PM
Jason Leavey
Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
Staff Post
  • Prizax
    Prizax
    ✭✭✭
    looks pretty nice, just one question would you be able to reset your CP?
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prizax wrote: »

Yep, You can add remove points on the go. They told that on last ESO Live
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This means update 6 is coming soon. very good.

iv been off for a couple of days(school project that the internet refuses to let me do) so its nice to see update 6 may be here soon, or at least on the PTS
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So pumped for this!

:#:#:#
    Edited by Maotti on January 15, 2015 4:41PM
    PC EU
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodystab wrote: »
    Prizax wrote: »

Yep, You can add remove points on the go. They told that on last ESO Live

Thank God lol.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting hyped for it, hopefully we get it soon on PTS :D
  • pierrenuiz
    pierrenuiz
    ✭✭✭
    so if you want to use your points in offensive passive skills (to make a DD) you must make a mana build ???
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    When you earn a Champion Point, that point will be assigned to the Warrior, the Thief, or the Mage, in that order. Once you earn a point in the Thief, for instance, your next point will be assigned to the Mage, and the next after that to the Warrior. You choose which of the three constellations under that sign to spend your point on.

I'm confused about this part... So you HAVE to spend a point in each constellation in that specific order?? That seems to not be flexible. At all.

Can you not spend the point in one, then spend 2 in the next constellation?
    Phoebe Anderson
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you earn a Champion Point, that point will be assigned to the Warrior, the Thief, or the Mage, in that order. Once you earn a point in the Thief, for instance, your next point will be assigned to the Mage, and the next after that to the Warrior. You choose which of the three constellations under that sign to spend your point on.

I'm confused about this part... So you HAVE to spend a point in each constellation in that specific order?? That seems to not be flexible. At all.

This is a concern. So I might have 10 points for Thief, but will be unable to spend them in Mage or Warrior?
    What if I'd rather max out Mage, I'd have to wait 3 champion levels to be able to get 1 CP to spend in Mage?
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Akalukz
    Akalukz
    ✭✭✭
    Only draw back I see so far is Twinks in the sub vet campaign. :(
  • Phaedrus
    Phaedrus
    ✭✭✭
    I think once again ZOS is overlooking something glaring for current max level characters. We have already done everything there is to do so now we either have to do it all over again under a new character or be at a huge disadvantage.

The same was true when they released new Undaunted passives. If your character had done all the dungeon achievements you were basically SOL and weren't able to level Undaunted as quickly as someone who had done 0 dungeons.

This will hold true of the new Champion System points. If I have completed all quests, discovered all POI's, destroyed all Dolmens, ran all dungeons/trials and am already at Alliance Rank 37 then how am I supposed to gain XP at the same rate as someone who has not?
    Phaedrus Wolf
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You earn points equally under each guardian so if you have only 3 points, you will have 1 in warrior, 1 in mage and 1 in thief. You must address all aspects of your character, but if you watch ESO live you will note that there are stars in the constellations under each guardian that are desirable to a variety of playstyles. Take the Atronach, which they have a screenshot of, magicka and skill-at-arms, most of the skill-at-arms skills use stamina by default (minus staves) but they aren't in the star that is moused-over (blade expert).

In ESO live they do say that first point in a star gives the greatest benefit and then each point gives a little less. So say the first 10 points in a star give a lot of benefit and after that you get 0.1 increase to that star's benefit, you really do want to spread your stars out some for the greatest benefit to your character.

I am sure out of the gate a new veteran who gets their very first point may have a very specific star they want to put it in, and it may not be under the guardian they just earned a point in, but you have the opportunity to earn a lot of points and until we see each and every star and the passives I wouldn't say that the system isn't flexible. I actually like that it isn't so linear. If you could just spend points in any of the nine constellations why even have them separated under the guardians? But having it give you points under a guardian and you choosing which of the three constellations to invest in with a point seems to give the system more body, but that is my opinion. From the examples given on ESO live, I doubt anyone will be unable to find a star under a guardian that benefits them in some way to invest points in.
    Edited by Mix on January 15, 2015 5:16PM
  • Sunver
    Sunver
    ✭✭✭
    Im still confused about this: points are account-wide and are earned by VR characters. Lets say I have 100 of them. I put all 100 in one character and I have none left right? I cant put 100 points again in another?
    When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pierrenuiz wrote: »
    so if you want to use your points in offensive passive skills (to make a DD) you must make a mana build ???

No.

If you are referring to the blade skill seen in the Atronach constellation, governed by the Mage, that doesn't mean you need to use magicka in order to get it. Otherwise I am unsure where you draw this conclusion from. (edit: I think I see where you got that idea, investing in any mage constellation increases your magicka, I still wouldn't say that it means you need a magicka build)

On ESO live they discussed making stamina builds more viable, that some morphs being added will make some skills that use magicka instead use stamina.

edit: without a list of all the stars, and the powerful passives granted after investing 10, 30, 75, 120 points in a constellation it is a bit hard to say definitively but looking at the names in the Atronach constellation 'Butcher', 'Tactician', 'Riposte' for the passives (I think one is hiding behind the tooltip of blade expert), Butcher was mentioned in ESO live, but I have forgotten exactly what they said it did:p Lots of info in that ESO live broadcast. For the stars you invest stars in you can see Heavy Weapons, Blade and Staff focused ones. I would guess dps using blades would largely use the stamina abilities from those skill trees (2-handed or dual wield), but your class skills still use magicka by default, so investing points into the Atronach would boost your weapon dmg and give you some more magicka. It is a bit hard to point out any synergy for the other constellations given that most of them aren't pictured and the Shadow seems utility driven (Tower and Lover focus on???)
    Edited by Mix on January 15, 2015 5:27PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it will help prevent cookie cutter min-max builds with all points poured into the best constellations for a specific role. If we're forced to branch out, everyone will choose slightly different skills that aren't directly related to their combat role, like those different utility passives under Thief. And we won't max out our most important skills so fast this way.

As I understand it, there will be something interesting for all builds in each constellation, so I think it'll work out. If we were talking about simple Warrior=heavy, Thief=medium and Mage=light, it would be a problem. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Sunver wrote: »
    Im still confused about this: points are account-wide and are earned by VR characters. Lets say I have 100 of them. I put all 100 in one character and I have none left right? I cant put 100 points again in another?
    Each character has access to the same number of points and spends them individually. So yes, you can spend 100 on one character and then the same 100 on another.
  • pierrenuiz
    pierrenuiz
    ✭✭✭
    but each point use in the Mage give you mana and if you want more stamina you must use your points in the thief, so if you want a full stamina build you will not have access to the Offensive passives
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I think it will help prevent cookie cutter min-max builds with all points poured into the best constellations for a specific role. If we're forced to branch out, everyone will choose slightly different skills that aren't directly related to their combat role, like those different utility passives under Thief. And we won't max out our most important skills so fast this way.

I disagree, this will not prevent cookie cutter builds. Those builds will always exist. What this seems to do is force you to pretty much waste a CP on something that isn't relevant to what you are trying to accomplish with your character
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but each point use in the Mage give you mana and if you want more stamina you must use your points in the thief, so if you want a full stamina build you will not have access to the Offensive passives

You cannot make a "full stamina build" this way. You have to spend your points equally between Warrior/Thief/Mage constellations, which will result in everyone having the same attribute points from the champion system. The attribute points granted through the champion system are not supposed to diversify your character, they are more like a general level-up bonus.

Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • pierrenuiz
    pierrenuiz
    ✭✭✭
    mmh not sur,.. you can use all your Mage points for one character and all thief points for another , so you can make a full mana damage build ... I think ^^
    Edited by pierrenuiz on January 15, 2015 5:57PM
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phaedrus wrote: »
    I think once again ZOS is overlooking something glaring for current max level characters. We have already done everything there is to do so now we either have to do it all over again under a new character or be at a huge disadvantage.

The same was true when they released new Undaunted passives. If your character had done all the dungeon achievements you were basically SOL and weren't able to level Undaunted as quickly as someone who had done 0 dungeons.

This will hold true of the new Champion System points. If I have completed all quests, discovered all POI's, destroyed all Dolmens, ran all dungeons/trials and am already at Alliance Rank 37 then how am I supposed to gain XP at the same rate as someone who has not?

You shouldn't worry, cap is too high.

I calculated that leveling from VR1-VR14 will get you only 35 CP, maybe more or less, depends on how they tweak it before it gets released on live.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mmh not sur you can use all your Mage points for one character and all thief points for another , so you can make a full mana damage build ... I think ^^
    That's not how it works. There are no Mage points or Thief points. Think of it this way: when you go into the constellations menu to spend your points, each time you use one point the constellations rotate - so you start with Warrior, then Warrior fades and you have to spend the next point in Thief, then Thief fades and Mage unlocks. You keep going in a circle.
    Rosveen wrote: »

I disagree, this will not prevent cookie cutter builds. Those builds will always exist. What this seems to do is force you to pretty much waste a CP on something that isn't relevant to what you are trying to accomplish with your character
    Well, yes, of course. Some passives will be a must-have to certain builds and players will soon figure out which ones are important. But it still leaves you with points you can't spend in those specific passives because they're in an inaccesible constellation; so you don't min-max by pumping everything into your chosen skills. You choose something that isn't crucial to your build instead, or maybe even a non-combat skill.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling a little unimpressed tbh. Thought it would be less linear and more customizable. Why would a melee Nord or Redguard even be interested in Mage points? I thought it would be better thought out this, never mind, I'm still looking forward to it.
    PC EU
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which results in a wasted skill
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling a little unimpressed tbh. Thought it would be less linear and more customizable. Why would a melee Nord or Redguard even be interested in Mage points? I thought it would be better thought out this, never mind, I'm still looking forward to it.
    "and points spent in the Mage increase magicka and grant benefits to physical and magical offensive power."

Take another look at the Atronach screenshot in the article. The featured passive is Blade Expert and you can see Heavy Weapon Expert, Bow Expert or Butcher in the same tree. Suffice to say, there's something in Mage for a melee Redguard.
  • Akalukz
    Akalukz
    ✭✭✭
    you mean you can't just dump all your points into one "constellation"?
  • EsORising
    EsORising
    ✭✭✭
    I <3 Champion System. So I understand we get 1 pt for each constellation in order and can't just choose one build, but do we have to put pts into different constellations after a reset? For example I reset and I'm at 0/100 pts used so can't i just put them all into theif after I reset them.
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So each Major constellation has 3 minor in it, Warrior, Thief, and Mage break down into 9 minors.
      Warrior
      [*] Lady
      [*] Steed
      [*] Lord
      Thief
      [*] Tower
      [*] Lover
      [*] Shadow
      Mage
      [*]Apprentice
      [*] Ritual
      [*] Atronach

Just because I have to spend a point in each Major in order doesn't mean there aren't options I will want within the Minor trees. So if I spend 1 for warrior first, I personally might choose to spend that point in Lady where my buddy might choose to spend it in the Steed and another may choose to spend it in Lord. Then when we move on to spend our second point in the Thief tree I can go Shadow, friend can go Tower and other friend Lover.
      Edited by Kraven on January 15, 2015 7:11PM
      V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
      V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
      V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
      V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
    • arnaldomoraleseb17_ESO

I hope this is not true and you are misunderstanding because I will leave the game instantly. I can't think play a game where I have to use mage skills if I am a warrior.

So, if I want to unlock all warrior constellation I need to spend all my life in this game to get it?. This system will favor people that play tons of hours in a day and will f**k PvP players.
      Debon Templar VR14 Thorn Blade (EU)
      Gaunnes DK VR14 Haderus (EU)
    • kongkim
      kongkim
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Looks so freaking cool. :) Really looking forward to it :)
    • Gorthax
      Gorthax
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      so many people are easily confused.....it is so amusing