Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting reflections/suggestions

Skexis
Skexis
Thoughts about crafting
Common enough thread I guess, but here are my thoughts. I will try to structure my thoughts.

Crafting
There are some problems with the crafting system per say IMO. I will not go into provisioning since it will be revamped anyways.

Overall
The leveling tiers. While it has its charm while leveling up and experience the content it falls kinda dead flat when you reach your max level (VR10 in this case). Which to face it, is the goal in any MMORPG, and where most players end up. Eventually.
I understand why the path was chosen in the beginning, it’s a tried concept of most MMO’s, but it’s also an old concept based on the fact that leveling took a VERY long time.

The new crafting writs perfectly exemplifies this. I know no person who has tried to level it solely by this, but the hassle to constantly switch tier to use it is just to much work, unless you are a completely new player to the game (assuming you understand it’s easier to level crafting at the tier you are at, not something a new player immediately understands). Even then alot of players focus on leveling and take up crafting later on (bag and bankspace issues in the beginning further promotes this path).
If you are an achievement hunter you will make the smart move and reset your skills and just do the lvl1 tier. Less materials and less hassle.
If you want to refine materials you will do the same. Since you will be spared getting maps that targets different tiers of materials. One tier equals more refining in one material.
And ofcourse. Lets not forget that crafting your (and harvesting) gear is something most players put energy into when they are at max level.

Suggestion
Remove the tier items. Simply use - water, wood, hide, cloth, potency runes and ore. Let other factors decide the tier. For example use more processed items or maybe use improvements to make it VR level (Assuming the game aims to be only one VR). Or simply let the person who craft decide what tier he wants to craft his items at, skill permittable.

Improvements
The 4 tiers of rarity that are used, are fine as they are. The problem is the uselessness of green and blue tiers. The skill system on top of this makes you use less and less. That’s a broken mechanic IMO which essentially removes green and blue improvements from the game. They are there but they are not a factor.

Suggestion
Make use of more low level improvements when used or make them convertible to higher improvements. One green stack (100) can be converted to one (1) blue etc.
The first option is safer than the latter since it can alter economics. But then again. I dont see it as a problem with the currrent drop/refining - rate.

Traits
Some of them are there. But they are a filler. There is no use for them in the game. Again, something in the game that is not really there. Lack of choice.

Suggestion
None. I just think that they are weird. I would love a comment from a designer about the thought here. Or maybe that they didnt think at all.

Alchemy
There are 3 potions that dominates here. Which make 9 herbs (with some variations) dominate. The others are a filler. The problem is choice. There is none.
Quick comment on snakeblood. Useless.
Why no retainer for alchemy?

Suggestion
Make more than 9 herbs to do the 3 end game potions.
Make poisons (or other mechanics) that can work as food buffs, weapon buffs or similar.
Maybe usefull potions can be skillslottable. Like invisibility, vanish, teleport or whatever. An interesting tradeoff vs. skillslots available, money. task at hand etc. Might be a to huge mechanic/balance issue but I am just playing with ideas. But then again the alchemy glyph kinda promotes the idea, being the strongest enchant in the game, but alas the most costly.

Please comment and/or correct my assumptions/thoughts.

/Skexis
  • Mountainrunnin3
    Question: can you craft armor with multiple traites?
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    No you can't craft a single piece of armor with multiple traits.
    There is however a 9 trait set that you can have two Mundus Stones attached. Last I heard it was not working as intended, and that it dumps one of the stones when you get killed.
    NA - DC - DK - PC