Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How does one get Nirnhoned?

bosmern_ESO
bosmern_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey there everyone, pretty simple question.

I've almost gotten 8 traits researched on all my gear (except BS weapons) and I'm not exactly sure on how I am to get Nirnhoned to Finnish of my researches. I'm not all that rich so I can't really buy the gear, and so far I've heard that you get one random piece at the end of upper craglorn.

Is there any other way I can get Nirnhoned items so i can get 9/9 researches on my gear? Don't want to spend 20k on one research.
~Thallen~
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What makes nirnhoned gear expensive is the rarity of nirnhoned stones. You can find those in Upper Craglorn (not Lower) when harvesting random nodes of ore, void bloom and wood. You also get an increased drop chance with the survery reports from crafting writs in Belkarth.
    Once you get a stone, ask in zone or trade guild chat for a crafter and you'll find a relatively cheap deal quickly.

At the end of the main quest of Upper Craglorn, you'll receive one random nirnhoned item. That's how everything started: when 1.4 was released, players did the researchs quickly and traded items with one another, and a few months later most crafters have everything available.
    Wololo.
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    What makes nirnhoned gear expensive is the rarity of nirnhoned stones. You can find those in Upper Craglorn (not Lower) when harvesting random nodes of ore, void bloom and wood. You also get an increased drop chance with the survery reports from crafting writs in Belkarth.
    Once you get a stone, ask in zone or trade guild chat for a crafter and you'll find a relatively cheap deal quickly.

At the end of the main quest of Upper Craglorn, you'll receive one random nirnhoned item. That's how everything started: when 1.4 was released, players did the researchs quickly and traded items with one another, and a few months later most crafters have everything available.
    Alrighty! thanks much!
    ~Thallen~
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    After finishing the Craglorn quest line you get a random nirnhoned item. After that you can find nirncrux, it won't be there before. Chances to find nirncrux are low... In a different thread someone collected the values. Afaik it's 1.25% chance from crafting surveys and 0.25 from standard resources in upper craglorn. There is no nirncrux in lower craglorn.
    Because it's so rare nirncrux is rarely offered and if you pay around 10.000. For nirnhoned most charge 15.000. Or 5.000 and the stone. I don't know if many people use nirnhoned, i think most buyers are completionist crafters. Twice born star set(9 traits) is used occasionaly.

Some time ago there was a bug where you had a 100% chance for nirncrux from blacksmith surveys. That's why so many early researcher have been able to get all so easily. It has been fixed a while ago.

Edit: there are two types of nirncrux, fortified for armor and purified(?) for weapons. Fortified costs a bit more as there are more armor types than weapons and you can wear more armor than weapons.
    Edited by Haxnschwammer on January 2, 2015 8:48AM
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    And with 1.6 it will go more expensive probabebly right?
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After finishing the Craglorn quest line you get a random nirnhoned item. After that you can find nirncrux, it won't be there before. Chances to find nirncrux are low... In a different thread someone collected the values. Afaik it's 1.25% chance from crafting surveys and 0.25 from standard resources in upper craglorn. There is no nirncrux in lower craglorn.
    Incorrect. Finding Nirncrux in a node in Upper Craglorn has nothing to do with the questline there. You can be VR1 and never have completed anything in Craglorn and get Nirncrux from nodes. The drop rate is absurdly low, and it seems recently that Potent isn't dropping anymore, or at least something went goofy as I haven't gotten one to drop in almost a month and the price of Potent (just the stone) has gone past 15K now.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that you can get more nirnhoned items from drop on final boss in main quest (down of the exalted viper). Is it true?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, after the questline you get one random item.

And about potent nirncrux, it still drops. I got two potent yesterday from surveys. And someone claimed that nirncrux can drop from mobs that drop leather. Don't know if that is true but from a resource gathering point of view it does make sense.
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How does one get Nirnhoned?
    Very carefully.

Badum-tshhh
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you all say nodes in Upper Craglorn, do you mean voidstone/nightwood/etc? What is classified as Upper Craglorn? I'm only VR6, but I do wander around to harvest stuff just for fun. I'd love to have a shot at finding something.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ThePonzzz wrote: »
    When you all say nodes in Upper Craglorn, do you mean voidstone/nightwood/etc? What is classified as Upper Craglorn? I'm only VR6, but I do wander around to harvest stuff just for fun. I'd love to have a shot at finding something.

Yes, nodes are the ore, wood and cloth items you harvest from the ground.

Upper Craglorn refers to the new section of Craglorn that opened with Update 1.4. It is roughly the northern third of Craglorn and is accessed via a couple of previously blocked mountain passes or the Dragonstar wayshrine. If the mobs around you are VR13, then you are in Upper Craglorn. If the mobs are VR11, then you are in Lower Craglorn.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And you can never repeat the quest? So you can only get one item yourself? You have to buy the other 30 or so items? Or wait the 30 days to research your one item, craft a piece of it, and try to trade that for another nirnhoned item? I can understand if they considered the original 8 traits too easy to research, but this sounds like they have gone too far in the other direction.
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @LonePirate.
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm, that Nirncrux can be found without having done any quests in Upper Craglorn.
    LonePirate wrote: »

Add herb nodes here. Just found some Nirncrux in a Blessed Thistle node.
    Edited by Arkadius on January 7, 2015 1:19AM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »
    I can confirm, that Nirncrux can be found without having done any quests in Upper Craglorn.

Add herb nodes here. Just found some Nirncrux in a Blessed Thistle node.

Guess I'll have to stop ignoring Blessed Thistle and Wormwood :smile:
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have another question. When you say nodes, will I see them at the time of harvest? Or do I need to refine them (for ones that require it)?
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have another question. When you say nodes, will I see them at the time of harvest? Or do I need to refine them (for ones that require it)?

When you harvest.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't miss them, they force your toon to stop and do a jig of happiness >:)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PatchMax
    PatchMax
    ✭✭

It's like when you harvest a plant and get worms as well. The popup window shows you the raw material and below it a second line showing nirncrux.

And to echo what @Ourorboros said, when you get one you are contractually obliged to flip out.
  • Zed
    Zed
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

And you can never repeat the quest? So you can only get one item yourself? You have to buy the other 30 or so items? Or wait the 30 days to research your one item, craft a piece of it, and try to trade that for another nirnhoned item? I can understand if they considered the original 8 traits too easy to research, but this sounds like they have gone too far in the other direction.
    The quest is not repeatable so you have to buy or trade for the pieces you don't have. If waiting the 30 days for research doesn't appeal to you, try researching with an alt. You'll need extra nirncrux so you can eventually give the item to your crafting main but it will allow you to trade faster.
    Spend spend spend! 'Cause you don't know any better.
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, so like an aspect rune Kuta dance. I know that dance very well.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭

Upper Craglorn refers to the new section of Craglorn that opened with Update 1.4. It is roughly the northern third of Craglorn and is accessed via a couple of previously blocked mountain passes or the Dragonstar wayshrine. If the mobs around you are VR13, then you are in Upper Craglorn. If the mobs are VR11, then you are in Lower Craglorn.

Is this still true? Can you get Nirn in drops here? I've been farming for a while and haven't come across one yet
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    That's ancient info. Nirn drops everywhere in craglorn from crafting nodes. Wood, ore, or cloth. Not just upper craglorn anymore. Occasionally from animals that drop leather. And you can find it rarely in heavy sacks
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open your closet walk right in there all the way to the back past your sequence blouse and leggings keep going until you step in snow and there you have it NIRNIA :)
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Jciampi wrote: »
    That's ancient info. Nirn drops everywhere in craglorn from crafting nodes. Wood, ore, or cloth. Not just upper craglorn anymore. Occasionally from animals that drop leather. And you can find it rarely in heavy sacks

I can confirm this as of yesterday.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.