The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Elder Scrolls Online Race and Class Census - Combined Polls

Kaide
Kaide
✭✭✭
As we all know polls vary....So I created this census out of several polls. The two numbers represent the range in which all of the polls include that race/class. My numbers come from Reddit, Tamriel Foundry, ESO Census, and a few other ESO support sites. The number totals can vary since some sites left room for undecided/unknown votes. Don't expect perfection...but this is as close as we can get to actual numbers. All polls were taken at different points in time.

The 2 percentages represent the RANGE in which all of the polls state that the Race or Class exist. The first percentage is the poll with the lowest percentage for that class or race and the second percentage is the highest percentage in a poll for that race or class. The rest of the polls put that class or race somewhere between the 2 numbers.

Faction Populations:
Aldmeri Dominion represent 26% - 32% of all 3 factions
Daggerfall Covenant represent 33% - 33% of all 3 factions
Ebonheart Pact represent 25% - 35% of all 3 factions

Aldmeri Dominion Races:
Altmer represent 34% -38% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population.
Argonian represent 1% - 3% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Bosmer represent 12% - 27% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Breton represent 2% - 11% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Dunmer represent 2% - 5% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Imperial represent 3% - 11% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Khajit represent 18% - 27% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Nords represent 1% - 1% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Orismer represent 1% - 2% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Redguards represent 2% - 3%of the Aldmeri Dominion's population

Aldmeri Dominion Classes:
Dragonknights represent 15% - 17% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Nightblades represent 26% - 38% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Sorcerers represent 25% - 31% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population
Templars represent 23% - 24% of the Aldmeri Dominion's population

Daggerfall Covenant Races:
Altmer represent 1% - 6% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Argonian represent 1% - 3% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Bosmer represent 2% - 3% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Breton represent 34% - 42% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Dunmer represent 1% - 4% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Imperial represent 7% - 15% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Khajit represent 2% - 7% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Nords represent 1% - 2% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Orismer represent 11% - 20% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Redguards represent 13% - 23% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population

Daggerfall Covenant Classes:
Dragonknights represent 19% - 28% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Nightblades represent 20% - 26% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Sorcerers represent 20% - 25% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population
Templars represent 28% - 32% of the Daggerfall Covenant's population

Ebonheart Pact Races:
Altmer represent 1% - 7% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Argonian represent 13% - 20% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Bosmer represent 1% - 3% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Breton represent 2% -13%of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Dunmer represent 21% - 36% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Imperial represent 5% - 13% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Khajit represent 2% - 7% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Nords represent 15% - 32% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Orismer represent 1% - 3% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Redguards represent 1% - 3% of the Ebonheart Pact's population

Ebonheart Pact Classes:
Dragonknights represent 25% - 30% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Nightblades represent 27% - 28% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Sorcerers represent 18% - 21% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Templars represent 25% - 24% of the Ebonheart Pact's population
Edited by Kaide on January 3, 2015 9:47PM
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO your sources so unreliable. I would not trust to this numbers more than for 75-80%. And I don't get what means all this %'s. Maybe some clarification?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭
    IMO your sources so unreliable. I would not trust to this numbers more than for 75-80%. And I don't get what means all this %'s. Maybe some clarification?

All that work...all that research...and the first comment is "YOUR SOURCES ARE NOT RELIABLE!!!"

*/facepalm*

Sir...kindly link your MORE RELIABLE sources for these numbers and I will make the adjustments! But before you do make sure that those numbers do not match mine...

Edited by Kaide on December 31, 2014 2:00PM
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting read thanks for doing the work :)
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    100% of all statistics are unreliable

Not every single player uses those forums, or voted, or anyone that ever voted on any of those polls even plays the game ....

All those % could be totally different from reality so to claim hard work and 5 different polls or more to be reliable already makes this unreliable
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of these are to be expected, such as Dunmer and DK being number one in EP, Bretons and Templars being number one in DC, and NBs being number one in AD.

I am surprised however at Sorcs being the least in DC. Would've expected it to be just behind Templars.

Good job.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on December 31, 2014 2:15PM
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭
    Aimelin wrote: »

Not every single player uses those forums, or voted, or anyone that ever voted on any of those polls even plays the game ....

All those % could be totally different from reality so to claim hard work and 5 different polls or more to be reliable already makes this unreliable

In Science class they teach students a word....and this word is called "Sample"

This is a Sample of data.

Of course I do not have the stats for every player that ever logged into the game. That is obvious. However, I do have an idea of what MOST players choose to do in the game based on the Sample taken from the polls. This is how data is even collected by Governments lol...they some times use samples of the population to get an idea of what the majority of the population is thinking. When you see that the Government has a certain % of approval...but they never called you and asked you for your opinion....are you saying that data is wrong too? Even though it comes from a very reliable source...
    Edited by Kaide on December 31, 2014 2:17PM
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    interesting read thanks for doing the work :)

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe let's make another poll here? It won't be reliable either, but still it would be nice to see what the numbers look like half a year later.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaide wrote: »

All that work...all that research...and the first comment is "YOUR SOURCES ARE NOT RELIABLE!!!"

*/facepalm*

Sir...kindly link your MORE RELIABLE sources for these numbers and I will make the adjustments! But before you do make sure that those numbers do not match mine...

Sorry, mate. I didn't wanted to insult you. You did great job.

Anyway, why you didn't use this forum too as a source? Also, what if someone play 3 or 4 alts? Or multifaction? If someone have 3 DK you count it 3 times or only once?
  • Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

In Science class they teach students a word....and this word is called "Sample"

This is a Sample of data.

Of course I do not have the stats for every player that ever logged into the game. That is obvious. However, I do have an idea of what MOST players choose to do in the game based on the Sample taken from the polls. This is how data is even collected by Governments lol...they some times use samples of the population to get an idea of what the majority of the population is thinking. When you see that the Government has a certain % of approval...but they never called you and asked you for your opinion....are you saying that data is wrong too? Even though it comes from a very reliable source...

you're partially right, and partially wrong. We'll ignore other science phrases like GIGO or bias and just cut to the simple part. Although survey data uses sampling like you said, they use representative weighted samples. also with pure parametric statistics the higher your n (number of samples) the better, although this really caps out over 100 which the polls you used represent. however in survey data you typically need a much higher n to account for the margin of error, so the size of the poll does impact an inference you can make from the data. It also really isn't surprising that the magicka races for each faction dominate the overall results (given that all class skills currently run off magicka), this would be the logical conclusion for anyone who has spent time playing the game. The overall population numbers have too large a variance to really draw any conclusions from, also with 8 characters per account the polls do have a self-selection bias issue. It is interesting data you compiled, but regrettably little can truly be learned from it, by no fault of your own.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get a kick out of someone who complains about the research, but offers no better research of their own. For one thing, just think about the lore and which characters are part of each faction and you will see the numbers pretty much line up. Imperials are spread out because they can be part of any faction. Although no poll is 100% accurate, I would say the OP did a lot of work and appreciate his efforts.
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭

*/facepalm*

Anyway, why you didn't use this forum too as a source? Also, what if someone play 3 or 4 alts? Or multifaction? If someone have 3 DK you count it 3 times or only once?

I wasn't insulted. I just never understand why people raise problems...but never give solutions to those problems. I'm a manager where I work and this scenario happens daily...people bring up issues to me but never have solutions...so I have to go find the answers for them. If I did something wrong...then instead of someone telling me I did it wrong they should provide a solution as in a reliable site and exactly where to find this information that is more reliable than the information I gave. Instead they'll wind up giving me random sources without any numbers (or none) and tell me that my information is unreliable (when they wont provide any reliable information in return). But that's life...

I used the polls with the largest samples. That is why I chose the sources that I did. I could have broken down the data even further into tanks, healers, dps....but I believe that its unnecessary to delve that far into it.

Edited by Kaide on December 31, 2014 2:40PM
  • Layenem
    Layenem
    ✭✭✭✭
    So aside from those trying to sound smart by discrediting data you already made known couldn't be completely accurate, I find this to be pretty awesome; and as accurate as I've seen in game.

Of note: My friend, freaking out about the original release of knowledge that we could play any race any alliance (criteria meeting), stated that EP was going to be overwhelmed with Khajiit. I haven't seen one. Not even one. I think this poll clearly represents that. The weight of classes in EP is pretty close to this as well, from my personal experience in game.

Note to the people who can't get out of their own chair and think they look smart by putting down ANYTHING that they didn't do first (either through lack of effort, idea, or capability): Shut up. Seriously. Bunch of Negative Nancy's. Go hug someone for crying outloud!

Good work. @Kaide‌
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*/facepalm*

I wasn't insulted. I just never understand why people raise problems...but never give solutions to those problems. I'm a manager where I work and this scenario happens daily...people bring up issues to me but never have solutions...so I have to go find the answers for them. If I did something wrong...then instead of someone telling me I did it wrong they should provide a solution as in a reliable site and exactly where to find this information that is more reliable than the information I gave. Instead they'll wind up giving me random sources without any numbers (or none) and tell me that my information is unreliable (when they wont provide any reliable information in return). But that's life...

I used the polls with the largest samples. That is why I chose the sources that I did. I could have broken down the data even further into tanks, healers, dps....but I believe that its unnecessary to delve that far into it.

If you are a manager, IMO it's you job to manage problems. But this is not the case of this topic.
    Well, if you want solution - here it is.
    1. Use this forum too to update your data.
    2. Ask people in game on both servers.
    3. You have 15% range on some values. IMO it's too much.
    4. Include sources into your OP.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A statistic calculated with a substantial and representative sample size at a 99% confidence interval with an "r-value"=.9999 is pretty darn close to 100% accurate and can be considered to be "reliable" as you put it. If it wasn't we wouldn't be able to land rovers on asteroids or other planets.

In regards to the OP, I'm assuming the numbers (i.e. percentages) were taken "as is", that is, as percentages. There is no way to determine the reliability of these numbers based on the information provided here. One would need each individual vote (or calculate them based off of total number of votes) to determine the necessary information to determine reliability (i.e. standard deviation, skewness, r-value, etc.).

In other words, you can't say it's not accurate or accurate. It is representative of the sample he chose to pull the data from however and was worth the effort to put it together. Good work :smile:
    Edited by Cuyler on December 31, 2014 3:07PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭

*/facepalm*

You get paid more as a manager to do your job, if I, that gets paid less, has to do more than what i get paid to do for, i should get your job.

Cuyler wrote: »

A statistic calculated with a substantial and representative sample size at a 99% confidence interval with an "r-value"=.9999 is pretty darn close to 100% accurate and can be considered to be "reliable" as you put it. If it wasn't we wouldn't be able to land rovers on asteroids or other planets.

In regards to the OP, I'm assuming the numbers (i.e. percentages) were taken "as is", that is, as percentages. There is no way to determine the reliability of these numbers based on the information provided here. One would need each individual vote (or calculate them based off of total number of votes) to determine the necessary information to determine reliability (i.e. standard deviation, skewness, r-value, etc.).

In other words, you can't say it's not accurate or accurate. It is representative of the sample he chose to pull the data from however and was worth the effort to put it together. Good work :smile:

Obviously there is a huge difference in calculating & finding statistics reliable or not between polls and actual math to calculate a rover landing .......
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭

*/facepalm*

You get paid more as a manager to do your job, if I, that gets paid less, has to do more than what i get paid to do for, i should get your job.

Obviously there is a huge difference in calculating & finding statistics reliable or not between polls and actual math to calculate a rover landing .......

I think when calculating the rover landing a scientist walked outside....licked his finger and stuck it in the air. Then based on the direction of the wind that day they made their calculation. Then bam...perfection

Also, why do people not like playing Nord?

Edited by Kaide on December 31, 2014 3:25PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well all my characters are in the 1%-3% range, so I guess I'm an iconoclast :sunglasses:
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, but when you make a completely incorrect and over exaggerated statement like:
    100% of all statistics are unreliable.
    It is best to correct you with an over exaggerated response in order to highlight the ridiculousness of such superfluous statements.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*/facepalm*

I think when calculating the rover landing a scientist walked outside....licked his finger and stuck it in the air. Then based on the direction of the wind that day they made their calculation. Then bam...perfection

Also, why do people not like playing Nord?

I think the answer is in the classes considering Nord is primarily a "tank" which is usually done as a DK. Considering AD and DC have relatively lower numbers of DKs one might expect that they would not play as Nords. Conversely, EP has a larger number of DKs and therefore (although it's a stretch) more Nords. In addition, Nords are an EP specific class so everything I just said could be hogwash :wink:
    Edited by Cuyler on December 31, 2014 4:03PM
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, but when you make a completely incorrect and over exaggerated statement like:
    100% of all statistics are unreliable.
    It is best to correct you with an over exaggerated response in order to highlight the ridiculousness of such superfluous statements.

Not entirely, since i made a statistic by saying 100% of all statistics are unreliable, therefor mine is also unreliable ...
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a better poll perhaps would be which class/race they play the MOST.

I have 5 characters with all sorts of class/race mix, but I definitely play some more than others.

The information presented is pre-loaded with all sorts of biases and lurking variables so I'm not sure what we can glean from it, except perhaps with some confidence that the above %'s represent what people have CREATED on the character screen.
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    I get a kick out of someone who complains about the research, but offers no better research of their own.

Nah. this is what "pear reviewing" is all about. I think it's everyone's duty to be critical of statistics, as it helps shake out the problems and leads to better statistics.

However I did give the OP an up vote for the work he did. It is still appreciated.

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an interesting read, and I don't have a problem with the sourcing of the data or the way it's expressed. Thanks for doing the spadework on it, OP.

However, one minor grievance - unless it comes from ZOS it is not "official". I don't know why people insist on putting prefixes like "official" and "ZOS please read" in the titles of what are otherwise perfectly sensible topics.

But an otherwise good read :)!
  • Kaide
    Kaide
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's an interesting read, and I don't have a problem with the sourcing of the data or the way it's expressed. Thanks for doing the spadework on it, OP.

However, one minor grievance - unless it comes from ZOS it is not "official". I don't know why people insist on putting prefixes like "official" and "ZOS please read" in the titles of what are otherwise perfectly sensible topics.

Actually it is official if it is using every polls data. Did you know that polling agencies release "Official" polls for companies and government agencies that they have ZERO affiliation with?

However, I did remove official to make everyone happy.

Edited by Kaide on January 1, 2015 1:43PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Actually it is official if it is using every polls data. Did you know that polling agencies release "Official" polls for companies and government agencies that they have ZERO affiliation with?

However, I did remove official to make everyone happy.

If you use the term "official" most people will assume it has the stamp of approval from some person or agency with some authority. That is to say it will have some entities reputation backing it up.

I see nothing like that here, so removing the term is the right move.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's impressing, how they managed to follow the actual game lore. Altmer, Dunmer and Bretons are the races with the highest population and are also the 3 most played races in ESO. Of course it's because of their race passives. But I love it, how ZoS managed to do that, only by making the race passives of one race better than the others.

Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    I think it's impressing, how they managed to follow the actual game lore. Altmer, Dunmer and Bretons are the races with the highest population and are also the 3 most played races in ESO. Of course it's because of their race passives. But I love it, how ZoS managed to do that, only by making the race passives of one race better than the others.

IMO it's a coincidence. I really doubt that ZOS did it intentionally. But only ZOS know it for sure?
    Edited by AshySamurai on January 1, 2015 3:19PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO it's a coincidence. I really doubt that ZOS did it intentionally. But only ZOS know it for sure?

I'm very very sure, it was intended. It would make no sense, Orcs (Orsimer) to be the most populated race. Altmer, Bretons and Nords are the leader races and should have a very high population. And slave races like Orcs and Argonians the lowest.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very very sure, it was intended. It would make no sense, Orcs (Orsimer) to be the most populated race. Altmer, Bretons and Nords are the leader races and should have a very high population. And slave races like Orcs and Argonians the lowest.

So, you're saying that masters population are greater than slaves populatuon? In that case all slaves will have few masters at the same time.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you're saying that masters population are greater than slaves populatuon? In that case all slaves will have few masters at the same time.

Slave race was probably the wrong word :) Orcs were more or less forced to join Daggerfall Covenant and both, Redguards and Bretones used to attack and conquer their homeland several times. And Argonians used to be enslaved by Dunmer. So they are inferior members of the factions in my opinion.
    Edited by Dracane on January 1, 2015 4:38PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.