The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

ESO reviews, it's time to start questioning them

HeroOfNone
HeroOfNone
✭✭✭✭✭
This is a call to arms to start challenging the stock, generic, and idiotic reviews that ESO has been given. I don't have issues with bad reviews on ESO where it's due, but as I've been streaming and promoting the game to friends I keep hearing the same thing about "the reviews say it's horrible" and other idiotic crap.

A lot of these reviews seem to be vague or inaccurate based on other popular youtube videos based on their beta experience (big surprise that the game was changed as part of the beta feedback) and reviews based on other MMOS (seriously, there is no cash shop or XP boosters, where the hell does this come from?!)

I'm not asking for stock "good" reviews to be put up, but for reviews that are dated back to June or July, start to ask them if they have seen the updated content. If your upset with the game you're more than welcome to post that as well, but let's be clear and honest about the issues, not generic when complaining it's "a generic MMO". In the cases where it's down right ***, call them out on it. Up vote or down vote reviews that you feel are accurate I'd you don't want to go as far writing something down.

A few questions to ask
- What level did you get to?
- What quests did you play?
- Did you explore?
- Did you play in PVP?
- Did you rate this as a single player RPG (skyrim) or as an MMORPG (wow, guilwars2, etc.)
- When did you play? Only Beta?
- Did you see updates with: dye system, craglorn, trials, dungeon scaling, face animations, champion system, justice system, other things in the road ahead presentation?
- If you had issues with something, did you contact support or post on the forums? What did they say?
- Have you checked out any twitch streams or updated youtube videos with gameplay footage at high level or after you left?

A few sites with reviews (that you can still respond or rate)
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/?snr=1_702_7__13
MMORPG: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/Elder-Scrolls-Online.html
Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online
GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/1900-6415741/

Hopefully something a little more truthful will come out of this. Please link or comment below with ESO review sites. Thanks for your time folks.
Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the point of this? I mean I have played a lot and would give ESO a low review as it stands at the moment. I lost my bank items 3 times at the start, PVP is laggy, the updates you enjoy "Drageon Scaling" I hate and the justice system is not out yet and I have a feeling is not going to be amazing if anything it will break the game more. Having to do gold and silver to level effectively to VR14?
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would you give ESO a good review when you see what they do to their loyal player base? Thanks for the links, I'll go explain how ZOS treats it's loyal custommers.
    Edited by TehMagnus on December 30, 2014 4:43PM
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the point of this? I mean I have played a lot and would give ESO a low review as it stands at the moment. I lost my bank items 3 times at the start, PVP is laggy, the updates you enjoy "Drageon Scaling" I hate and the justice system is not out yet and I have a feeling is not going to be amazing if anything it will break the game more. Having to do gold and silver to level effectively to VR14?

Then be honest and comment in the review about it. Your concerns may be the same others have. However there are others that enjoy it as well. Again, no issue with a "Bad" review if it's honest and not some crappy "it's another generic MMO, go play WoW" comment without much base or playtime
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then be honest and comment in the review about it. Your concerns may be the same others have. However there are others that enjoy it as well. Again, no issue with a "Bad" review if it's honest and not some crappy "it's another generic MMO, go play WoW" comment without much base or playtime

It is a generic MMO... what is different about it and the others?
    Options
  • Shoin
    Shoin
    Soul Shriven
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Why would you give ESO a good review when you see what they do to their loyal player base? Thanks for the links, I'll go explain how ZOS treats it's loyal custommers.

Wanna cry me a river?
    Go ahead..
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably because I haven't seen the final result of the champion system yet. I do look forward to aspects of it though, and have enjoyed the game thus far. If you want to comment on what might be, go ahead, still time for ZOS to turn it around.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Explain what makes it generic =3
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Leveling, quests that a linear, dyes, CP (***), swords / magic, classes, zones, PVP, micro crafting... same as every MMO since AC and EQ
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Leveling, quests that a linear, dyes, CP (***), swords / magic, classes, zones, PVP, micro crafting... same as every MMO since AC and EQ

I'm genuinely curious, how would you design it differently?
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shoin wrote: »

Wanna cry me a river?
    Go ahead..

Why so mad? Go write good reviews about this game to lure more people into it and stop QQing please.
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Probably because I haven't seen the final result of the champion system yet. I do look forward to aspects of it though, and have enjoyed the game thus far. If you want to comment on what might be, go ahead, still time for ZOS to turn it around.

Agreed and it's the only reason I'm sticking around but I wouldn't be mean enough to recommend the game in it's current state to anyone. I mean heck game sucked so much they are calling update 6 ESO 2.0. A reboot. If thas not a proof of failure I don't know what is. You don't Redo successfull games.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So basically every MMO is the same if it has those elements regardless if they are implemented in different ways like:

- Dyes tied to your account based on your accomplishments rather than gold sinks to pay for them
    - CP/AA points to make your high level chapter do different things better account wide but scaled to the level
    -swords and staves abilities that and race and ant class can use
    - any class that any race can use
    - massive or small zones based on what you're doing
    - crafting that can be leveled through writs, creating, breaking down, or research at any level
    - A 3 way pvp zone fight that incorporates siege weapons from bring placed almost anywhere, hit any wall or door, and a travel system so the large scale map is still manageable

That's all going to be the same in WoW, Guilwars2, Rift, and more? Come on, be honest with yourself. Sorry you've had issues and I don't think your wrong complaining about some of that, but if you think it's that generic I'd ask why you're still around, or as shuravi asked, how it should have been done and where's the post for that.

Edited by HeroOfNone on December 30, 2014 5:11PM
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »

Well the first major change I would like to see in MMOs in removing liner progression and "stories". That is what made TSO great you did not have to follow a story and still play, in ESO to advance you have to go through every zone because only 1/4th of the zone is at your level and all the quests at your level are in that area.

Swords and daggers are so generic why dont they have different looks? I mean if you look through Earth history there are different looks and designs ESO is sticking with medieval era, but ignore any other. If ESO had Orcs and monsters the weapons would be designed to kill them differently. LORTO, EQ, AC and all these games have the same thing its generic.

Dyes? Why not step it up and make crafting "real crafting" giving players the ability to use meshes to make really unique armor and weapons? Colors can be created by the ore or technique used.

ESO could have removed classes completely and gone with a open system that did not have the 4 base classes.

That would just be the start, but the fact is ESO is a generic MMO.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the first major change I would like to see in MMOs in removing liner progression and "stories". That is what made TSO great you did not have to follow a story and still play, in ESO to advance you have to go through every zone because only 1/4th of the zone is at your level and all the quests at your level are in that area.

Swords and daggers are so generic why dont they have different looks? I mean if you look through Earth history there are different looks and designs ESO is sticking with medieval era, but ignore any other. If ESO had Orcs and monsters the weapons would be designed to kill them differently. LORTO, EQ, AC and all these games have the same thing its generic.

Dyes? Why not step it up and make crafting "real crafting" giving players the ability to use meshes to make really unique armor and weapons? Colors can be created by the ore or technique used.

ESO could have removed classes completely and gone with a open system that did not have the 4 base classes.

I can get behind a bit of what you'very said, but that is one of the reasons for dungeon and instance scaling, which you said you hate? So you want to experience a story in any one of these zones, but not the challenge? In which case you can grind up and explore some of these quests later on as well. Nothing stopping you after level 10 from popping into cyrodiil either and experiencing the quests at any point either. I personally like the challenge, but also seeing the continuing stor that I had last zone carry on all the way to the end, as well as some of the other quests around that.

Not sure what you mean with different looks on swords as well. There are a lot of varieties and styles, not to mention it's a sword, axe, mace, dagger, etc. Which can have different effects depending. I would like to see additional weapons as well, but that's a different post.

The dye system you're discussing might be an interesting suggestion if you put it out there, but based on ore and technique could lead to a cash sink on the dye as well. Not good or bad, but I do have a preference that a look be dependent on the deeds that you do and not the gold in a pocket.

The class's I wasn't too keen on when I first saw them but I enjoy a little rigidity they give to builds, so too much of one skill isn't stacked. They are still, in my opinion, more unique in their use than other MMOS.

Still, I don't agree with the assessment of generic in any regards, especially if you've been playing a lot of others in the genre. It's like saying that call of duty games are just the same as DayZ or sniper, all generic shooters =\
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they end up not treating you like you say they are, will you go back and change your review to reflect that?

I didn't think so.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can get behind a bit of what you'very said, but that is one of the reasons for dungeon and instance scaling, which you said you hate? So you want to experience a story in any one of these zones, but not the challenge? In which case you can grind up and explore some of these quests later on as well. Nothing stopping you after level 10 from popping into cyrodiil either and experiencing the quests at any point either. I personally like the challenge, but also seeing the continuing stor that I had last zone carry on all the way to the end, as well as some of the other quests around that.

Not sure what you mean with different looks on swords as well. There are a lot of varieties and styles, not to mention it's a sword, axe, mace, dagger, etc. Which can have different effects depending. I would like to see additional weapons as well, but that's a different post.

The dye system you're discussing might be an interesting suggestion if you put it out there, but based on ore and technique could lead to a cash sink on the dye as well. Not good or bad, but I do have a preference that a look be dependent on the deeds that you do and not the gold in a pocket.

The class's I wasn't too keen on when I first saw them but I enjoy a little rigidity they give to builds, so too much of one skill isn't stacked. They are still, in my opinion, more unique in their use than other MMOS.

Still, I don't agree with the assessment of generic in any regards, especially if you've been playing a lot of others in the genre. It's like saying that call of duty games are just the same as DayZ or sniper, all generic shooters =\

You have only played generic MMOs because not one company has the guts to make a real new MMO. (AC and EQ came out about the same time and are the original MMO and where very successful so all the AAA MMO follow the same mold, there are others but dont get the same budget because investors only go with what is proven to work. ESO is not the MMO that they promised when they launched open world? Play as you want? nope, its EQ, WOW and AC with the ES look.
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I agree with you on almost all points, my question was how you would do it differently and still have it work. Not what you would do differently. I can easily make a list of things I would want different, but its much harder to come up with an actual viable system for their implementation.

But for the sake of discussion; there exists realistic enough variance in weapon design in the game. There are some pretty wide variences in styles. There is a greatsword that looks to have knapped obsidian 'teeth' like an aztec sword 13537238611645.jpg
    The barbaric style seems to be partly inspired by bone toothed swords like those of island cultures
    attachment.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1362583267000&api=v2
    There are of course other examples, but i don't feel that the variety is that limited. also, there is a reason medieval period swords look the way they do. It is what worked best. Now, would I like to see something like an Egyptian khopesh, or any of the varied tribal weapons? Definitely. but what weapons are you specifically talking about?

Now, I do like the 'real crafting' idea, but you can color metal using varying degrees of temperature, and different chemical agents. this is not necessarily tied to the first crafting of the item.

Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree with you on almost all points, my question was how you would do it differently and still have it work. Not what you would do differently. I can easily make a list of things I would want different, but its much harder to come up with an actual viable system for their implementation.

But for the sake of discussion; there exists realistic enough variance in weapon design in the game. There are some pretty wide variences in styles. There is a greatsword that looks to have knapped obsidian 'teeth' like an aztec sword 13537238611645.jpg
    The barbaric style seems to be partly inspired by bone toothed swords like those of island cultures
    There are of course other examples, but i don't feel that the variety is that limited. also, there is a reason medieval period swords look the way they do. It is what worked best. Now, would I like to see something like an Egyptian khopesh, or any of the varied tribal weapons? Definitely. but what weapons are you specifically talking about?

Now, I do like the 'real crafting' idea, but you can color metal using varying degrees of temperature, and different chemical agents. this is not necessarily tied to the first crafting of the item.

As a ES mod maker if they had the ability to make items like the ones you posted people would make them... ESO would have to approve the ones added to the game, but how amazing is Skyrim because of the mods?
    Edited by Amsel_McKay on December 30, 2014 5:56PM
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

As a ES mod maker if they had the ability to make items like the ones you posted people would make them... ESO would have to approve the ones added to the game, but how amazing is Skyrim because of the mods?

Yes, but these styles exist in-game already.

Now I would love for them to make the game more open to their extensive mod community. One thing I have endlessly chatted my guild-mates ears off about is making Vaermina's realm of oblivion, Quagmire; the ever changing realm of nightmares, into a user generated conent zone. Each player can create their own 'nightmare' and the community can chose what they like best. They could set it up so you could download a certain number of these from an ingame list, as to not overclutter things. The quest could be the standard 'nighmares have overwhelmed _________ and you must travel inside to stop them.' I don't know how well their engine structure could support this, but it would be fun.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have only played generic MMOs because not one company has the guts to make a real new MMO. (AC and EQ came out about the same time and are the original MMO and where very successful so all the AAA MMO follow the same mold, there are others but dont get the same budget because investors only go with what is proven to work. ESO is not the MMO that they promised when they launched open world? Play as you want? nope, its EQ, WOW and AC with the ES look.

Let's see: Everquest, Everquest 2, WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, asheron's call, Ragnarok Online, Warhammer online, Vindictus, Archeage, Guild wars, Guild wars 2, Neverwinter, and a couple more with fun long Japanese titles. Played a lot, and if they are all generic and you dislike them, why do you play the genre?

It was never said to be skyrim multiplayer, which is a common point, but as for MMOs go ESO is far removed from the standard constraints that typical MMOs are.your role isn't determined by class, you can run into any alliance zone you want, your story quests can be played anytime with there still being a challenge or you can go off and PVP or do side quests or dungeons when you want. If you wanted to compare it as well, it's closer to Guild Wars 2 with out the cool downs to abilities, more usable dodge rolling, an interactive blocking system, siege that makes sense, and classes that aren't locked down to what you can do.

Sorry you can't horse jump to the top of the throat of the world and fuse to da a grey beard off the side of the mountain =s
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I could agree to this, however the issue may be with how poorly it did in Neverwinter and ended up being a way for people to grind out levels with easily exploited terrain. Adding custom maps and looks I'm all for on the PVE side of things as well, but it is a balancing act on doing so. Really, a different post entirely, one that I have saved to drafts. The main focus here though was what do you really think about the game today, and the reviews bring given to it. Think about everything else out there and ask if the reviews given on the sites I listed really reflect what eso is today or what it was after release.
    Edited by HeroOfNone on December 30, 2014 6:24PM
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but these styles exist in-game already.

Now I would love for them to make the game more open to their extensive mod community. One thing I have endlessly chatted my guild-mates ears off about is making Vaermina's realm of oblivion, Quagmire; the ever changing realm of nightmares, into a user generated conent zone. Each player can create their own 'nightmare' and the community can chose what they like best. They could set it up so you could download a certain number of these from an ingame list, as to not overclutter things. The quest could be the standard 'nighmares have overwhelmed _________ and you must travel inside to stop them.' I don't know how well their engine structure could support this, but it would be fun.

With weapons there are unlimited ideas with designs that are not used. Dwemer seem to have steam weapons like guns that if I saw would be trying to remake. How about thrown discs. Large polearms have a ton of variety. Claws, brass knuckles? With the use of magic you could design ideas that are out of this world. What about using your legs and kicking spikes...

User generated content can be really good and really bad that is why they would have to approve and in some cases improve it. There engine is restricted because they started that way, that is why the game is generic they needed to make the new ideas at the start so the engine can take innovative ideas.
    Options
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why bother?

Never have watched a review of a video game, or much of anything else. I don't give a half-ounce of rat's pee what anyone else thinks of a game, or a movie, or anything else. I make up my own mind.
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
    Options
  • risen1981
    risen1981
    ✭✭
    ESO is just an ordinary themepark generic mmo...

I've said it before and i can't say it enough.. they should had made it a sandbox game, if you dont know what it is, google it... that would had made this game truly awesome..

Eve online, Ultima online and old Swg ( pre - cu ) are good examples...
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSLAnimal wrote: »
    Why bother?

Never have watched a review of a video game, or much of anything else. I don't give a half-ounce of rat's pee what anyone else thinks of a game, or a movie, or anything else. I make up my own mind.

Entirely up to you, but being someone that has played makes your opinion matter to a lot of people on the fence or who wrote off the game because someone didn't like the MS SAM voice in beta.
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the point of twitch to remove reviews from the equation? I mean I get a small subset of players enjoy watching other people play games, but the mass majority of people use twitch to see gameplay and find out if a game may be in the realm of something they would enjoy playing.

The days of using a journalists opinion on something as the basis of purchasing, doing or experiencing something is, I hope at least, coming to an end.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Isn't the point of twitch to remove reviews from the equation? I mean I get a small subset of players enjoy watching other people play games, but the mass majority of people use twitch to see gameplay and find out if a game may be in the realm of something they would enjoy playing.

The days of using a journalists opinion on something as the basis of purchasing, doing or experiencing something is, I hope at least, coming to an end.

Agreed, however some will write off even watching if they read a crap review about how you have to kill 30,000 guys to afford a horse. That or if the stream has a demonic talking cat.
    Edited by HeroOfNone on December 30, 2014 6:45PM
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

Agreed, however some will write off even watching if they read a crap review about how you have to kill 30,000 guys to afford a horse. That or I'd the stream has a demonic talking cat.
    :3
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If they end up not treating you like you say they are, will you go back and change your review to reflect that?

I didn't think so.

I actually have many reviews in french websites and if the day comes when this game becomes good enough to be recommendable I will change those reviews (and champion system might well be the time I do that, at least I hope so). That being said I doubt my review on Zenimax as a company will change, ever, since every step they take reinforces the feeling they are just using us to test console release and that they don't care about us PC players :-) when you compare Zenimax Online to other companies like Riot games who frzck up but actually try to make it up to their players, there is really no contest about it (and no wonder why so many people just quit this game and end up hating it).
    Edited by TehMagnus on December 30, 2014 7:37PM
    Options
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a call to arms to start challenging the stock, generic, and idiotic reviews that ESO has been given. I don't have issues with bad reviews on ESO where it's due, but as I've been streaming and promoting the game to friends I keep hearing the same thing about "the reviews say it's horrible" and other idiotic crap.

A lot of these reviews seem to be vague or inaccurate based on other popular youtube videos based on their beta experience (big surprise that the game was changed as part of the beta feedback) and reviews based on other MMOS (seriously, there is no cash shop or XP boosters, where the hell does this come from?!)

I'm not asking for stock "good" reviews to be put up, but for reviews that are dated back to June or July, start to ask them if they have seen the updated content. If your upset with the game you're more than welcome to post that as well, but let's be clear and honest about the issues, not generic when complaining it's "a generic MMO". In the cases where it's down right ***, call them out on it. Up vote or down vote reviews that you feel are accurate I'd you don't want to go as far writing something down.

A few questions to ask
    - What level did you get to?
    - What quests did you play?
    - Did you explore?
    - Did you play in PVP?
    - Did you rate this as a single player RPG (skyrim) or as an MMORPG (wow, guilwars2, etc.)
    - When did you play? Only Beta?
    - Did you see updates with: dye system, craglorn, trials, dungeon scaling, face animations, champion system, justice system, other things in the road ahead presentation?
    - If you had issues with something, did you contact support or post on the forums? What did they say?
    - Have you checked out any twitch streams or updated youtube videos with gameplay footage at high level or after you left?

A few sites with reviews (that you can still respond or rate)
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/?snr=1_702_7__13
    MMORPG: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/Elder-Scrolls-Online.html
    Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online
    GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/1900-6415741/

Hopefully something a little more truthful will come out of this. Please link or comment below with ESO review sites. Thanks for your time folks.

If you want a good review, you release a complete game. Their first impression sucked, and, sadly for them, that's what will stick until AT LEAST they launch on consoles.
    Options