The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will a console release split the player base too much?

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulix wrote: »
    OP here, just wanted to say it's cool there is good discussion here with no flaming. Thank you guys.

Also a question: how likely is it that the 700k sub number is actually accurate?

Not very since that was before steam sales and before the recent spike of the returning players after 1.5. The number was actually 772k which if you do it by normal MMO trends and when that number was released would of made sense.

Also it was from a 3rd party site with "Inside information" but no real sources. Just like the sites claiming ESO for consoles is cancelled.
    We also don't know how old the 700k number is, however its in the ballpark correct, the number could be as low as 400k or up towards an million (+-40%)

Its however way more reliable than the trolls claiming less than 100k.
    They are mostly people confusing number of subs with number of players playing at an set time who is much less than 10%
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    700k+ subscribers to ESO atm. Also no... it's not going to split anything because the PC gamers that wanted ESO have it right now and the console gamers are waiting eagerly. PC players have zero reason to downgrade to PS4 unless they are running the game on low settings out of desperation and i'm sure not many are doing that, there are definitely people doing that though.

I have been waiting for the PS4 release because i couldn't even run the beta on this rig lol. So people are waiting, i'm currently enjoying FFXIV, and i expect a lot of people playing XIV will at least want to give ESO a shot, at least the EU and NA players. BUT... i'm worried that it has taken way too long to get the console version out... no one even seems to be talking about the PC version let alone the console version that is extremely tardy at this point.

I'm more concerned that the console version will fail and be shut down in a year or two... i've already suffered that when EverQuest Online Adventures was cancelled after 9 years, but then again Playstation 2 wasn't exactly mmorpg friendly lol. Also it wasn't really online friendly either as most console gamers didn't even go online at that time. But that's another story and i digress.

At any rate, all i can really say with certainty is that i'm here... waiting for the console release with much anticipation.

There aren't 700k+ subscribers in ESO. So everything you post after that statement is false.
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mightylink wrote: »
    Theres no reason why zenimax can't just share the same server across all platforms, ff14 did it.

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons
    PC has mouse and keyboard controls which are superior to pads, especially when game isnt "tag and click"

People would cry their eyes out on forums after few days of PC and Console sharing one battleground.

Also I wouldnt want a pad-controlled tank in my veteran City of Ash.

• ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WhiskyBob wrote: »
    Theres no reason why zenimax can't just share the same server across all platforms, ff14 did it.

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons
    PC has mouse and keyboard controls which are superior to pads, especially when game isnt "tag and click"

People would cry their eyes out on forums after few days of PC and Console sharing one battleground.

I agree. FF14 (last time I played) didn't allow addons and using them were against TOS. Also there was already a bunch of elitism going on and all I saw at endgame was LFG No Console Players! How is that positive for the community?

Also Xbox and PS don't want their players on the same server. PS is fine with PS players playing with PC and Xbox is fine with being shared with PC. So they could do one of them but that leaves the other out in the cold. FF14 released in PC and PS3/PS4 which is why hey could do cross server.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Age of Conan was coming to the consoles, so is TESO coming to the consoles.

So it will never happen. I know a few people who are waiting for PS4 version and won't buy it for PC so i don't think it will split.
    Edited by Knootewoot on December 2, 2014 1:34PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • xtago
    xtago
    ✭✭
    You won't get a lot of people playing on a console the keyboard mouse will just slay them, as using the control pad is too slow.

It doesn't really matter when a console release happened as its a mmo, it can be anytime
  • Rioht
    Rioht
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think an mmo on a console would work that great. If it would, then wow would have done it years ago.

Yeah, its not like there is any successful MMOs on console like Final fantasy reborn. This is a dumb idea.
  • Rioht
    Rioht
    ✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »
    If it runs on your PC, I don't see any reason whatsoever to switch to console. I'd hazard a guess that most people who play on PC right now will not switch to console. Like the poster above me said, it's unlikely many people are playing on minimum settings out of desperation.

Some people work on a computer all day and the last thing they want to do is come home and spend time on a computer again.

Sometimes its nice to just lay on the couch with a coffee on the weekends and explore some Nirn.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Just like Age of Conan was coming to the consoles, so is TESO coming to the consoles.

So it will never happen. I know a few people who are waiting for PS4 version and won't buy it for PC so i don't think it will split.
    Age of connan was promised on 360 however its no way it could run on it except making an pretty much new game.
    Remember that Skyrim took PS3 past the limit, also observer the strict limit on characters large fights in Skyrim. Limited that you can do on 512MB shared memory.

PS4 and One don't have this issue, their only issue is pretty weak GPU who is easy to adjust graphic to.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vulix wrote: »
    So, we don't have official subscription numbers or active player counts, but we can safely assume that ESO isn't the most popular MMORPG around (but it's certainly not dying by any means).

Complete conjecture with no data here, but let's assume a hypothetical (but possible) scenario. I suspect that most people who will end up playing ESO on console are people who are already playing it on PC. The console release has taken so long at this point, anyone dying to play ESO is most likely playing the PC version now. Further, I do not expect many people to hold-off on playing the PC version just because they are waiting for console release. That is, I don't see a massive spike in ESO's population compared to what it is now when the console versions are released.

So who is likely to play the most console ESO? People playing the PC version. What this means is the PC version will bleed players and the player base becomes smaller, which is bad. Further, the console release will have a smaller playerbase, especially considering there will be different servers for PS4 and XBox.

So, are the console versions really worth it? Personally, I'd rather have more people playing on PC.

Thoughts? Again, complete conjecture on my part (I'm admitting it so don't flame me), but I do think this scenario is within the realm of possibility.

edit: Fixed thread title

With all due respect, why is it that people have that fear from a console release?

An MMO on a console is *uhm* not really something fun. You cant even chat there without a third party keyboard, your game can not be patched frequently as it all must go to MS first ...

Skyrim was a mess on consoles and I believe still is, the PC version however improved over the years and is in a pretty good shape.

Don't get me wrong please, consoles are lovely for sports games such as soccer, tennis, ice hockey ... but I just don't see an RPG especially if online succeed on them.

In my opinion those who play ESO on a console are in a minority therefore the impact on the PC is not going to be big.
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of MMO's can work on console FF14, FFXI, DCUO, Everquest have all proven that.

As far as splitting the playerbase I don't think so. OF all the people I have come in contact with in the game not a single one is planning on going console. I think a few may leave but I think we have our PC core and we will gain/lose people as it goes. Which is normal. Just as console Players will have a core base after 3 months and then will gain and lose every month. And seeing how many console players whine every day on their Facebook I think they still have tons of players waiting to play.

ts funny you mention those because ALL of those allow cross platform play. FFXI allowed ps2+pc+ps3(if you had the right setup)+xbox to ALL play together on the same server. FF14 lets pc, ps3, and ps4 play together, EQ same thing. DCUO, same damn thing. So whats the problem here other than devs are lazy and its a money grab?
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gorthax wrote: »
    Plenty of MMO's can work on console FF14, FFXI, DCUO, Everquest have all proven that.

As far as splitting the playerbase I don't think so. OF all the people I have come in contact with in the game not a single one is planning on going console. I think a few may leave but I think we have our PC core and we will gain/lose people as it goes. Which is normal. Just as console Players will have a core base after 3 months and then will gain and lose every month. And seeing how many console players whine every day on their Facebook I think they still have tons of players waiting to play.

ts funny you mention those because ALL of those allow cross platform play. FFXI allowed ps2+pc+ps3(if you had the right setup)+xbox to ALL play together on the same server. FF14 lets pc, ps3, and ps4 play together, EQ same thing. DCUO, same damn thing. So whats the problem here other than devs are lazy and its a money grab?

Ok gotta explain this yet again. XBOX does not want their players to play With Playstation People. And Vice Versa.

FFXI was already around before the 360 version came out and was established meaning that if Xbox wanted it on their system they had to suck it up. FFXI could only do PS3 on backwards compatible and there's not much Xbox could do about that. It however did not come out natively for PS3. And PS3 came out what like a year after 360? So Xbox had already scooped that one up.

DCUO was a Sony game and did not come out on Xbox

Everquest came out on PS2 and PC and not Xbox

Xbox is fine with their players playing with PC people. Sony is fine with players playing with PC people. So they could scrap one and *** off part of the base and let the other base play with PC players. Or they can say screw it, and do everyone on different servers and avoid pissing off anyone.

So explain to me how adding 3x the work load is lazy. And how it's a money grab when they weren't even planning to do consoles but where asked to by the consoles themselves.
    Edited by ers101284b14_ESO on December 2, 2014 5:39PM
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Central aspects of MMORPGS are GROUPING and COMMUNICATION.
    After having seen a guild mate playing FF XIV on console I definetely can claim that writing on a virtual keyboard sucks...

I'd love it if they put together all players in one server, at least in pvp!

But, I must confess, I'd love much more to get another 4-5 skill buttons and therefore cancel the console-version. That would be my dream!

@the player claiming that ESO has 700kk subscribers.. This seems impossible: Even if just 25% would regularly do pvp at maintimes servers would stand still because of lag. Actually we have a 1000--2000 player per realm! And I'm speaking of the most populated pvp server (european ed.)!
    I have no stats, but me and many guildies have twinks that they play very seldomly, so we can compare the pvp-points with the respective position on the leaderboards to get an idea about all pvp-players of one realm. SO... to be honest, player numbers in Cyrondil... (here I would say nothing positive) ...even if just 10% are playing PvP, numbers are not well IMO. That is what I can say as a daily pvp-player (4-8h): I can tell you, I see the same names every day, every hour and I'm very far from feeling like playing a 500k+ sub game, even 400k, feels more like 100-200k!! To be honest!
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    Simple answer, no.

Not so simple answer, if you have a decent PC I don't know why those people would switch to consoles.
    I'm going to quote myself from above here:
    Cuyler wrote: »
    I have a friend who was going to sub up and be my running mate who's computer took a grand shite on him. Now he can't afford the $600-700 to purchase a new rig to play ESO. He can however afford a PS4 (with a little help from me) so that will be his obvious option.

If I want to play with my RL friend and not just the wonderful PC players I've met over the last couple months, I'll need to port to console.
    Some people could make an argument for comfort of playing on a couch or a controller, but now its relatively easy to hook up a PC to both a television and a controller. ZOS is also working on 360 controller support. Which will then be even easier for PC users.

What this will more than likely do is attract a lot more Skyrim players. which, hopefully means more income for ZOS and then more improvements or larger teams to work on those improvements and improve patch implementation. Of course there are players like some above who don't know how, or don't want to hook up their PC to make it closely resemble consoles, and if they are okay purchasing an inferior version, well then, they probably weren't the best people in game anyways ;)
    Really? I use a pad, 50" hdtv, do trials and vet dungeons no different than "the best people in the game" as you put it. EDIT: you may be referring to a player being less than optimal when forced to use the keyboard and not being familiar with it? I'm not sure it's hard to tell from the context. Thanks for the laugh though.
    Why anyone would play on the Xbox One if they have other options? Yah I don't get that one. But those who aren't responsible or think about their purchases usually don't make a lot of sense anyways. But to each their own I guess.
    again with the insults?! This may be hard to believe but some players have legitimate reasons for compromising a little bit of graphic quality and not simply "not responsible or thinking about their purchases" (See above).

Since your on the topic of the psychology of electronic purchases let me enlighten. This was my thought process:
    1. Do I want to play ESO with my friend who can only play on a console? yes
    2. Do I have enough money to pay for both? yes
    3. Purchase and play.

Edited by Cuyler on December 2, 2014 5:59PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons

I imagine quite a few people who I've killed with my controller in PvP believe the same thing. If only they knew.

• Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons

you do know some people are faaaaaaar better with a controller than they ever could be with a K&M right? just because you use K&M does nto make you superior lol
  • EQOAnostalgia
    EQOAnostalgia
    ✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    700k+ subscribers to ESO atm. Also no... it's not going to split anything because the PC gamers that wanted ESO have it right now and the console gamers are waiting eagerly. PC players have zero reason to downgrade to PS4 unless they are running the game on low settings out of desperation and i'm sure not many are doing that, there are definitely people doing that though.

I have been waiting for the PS4 release because i couldn't even run the beta on this rig lol. So people are waiting, i'm currently enjoying FFXIV, and i expect a lot of people playing XIV will at least want to give ESO a shot, at least the EU and NA players. BUT... i'm worried that it has taken way too long to get the console version out... no one even seems to be talking about the PC version let alone the console version that is extremely tardy at this point.

I'm more concerned that the console version will fail and be shut down in a year or two... i've already suffered that when EverQuest Online Adventures was cancelled after 9 years, but then again Playstation 2 wasn't exactly mmorpg friendly lol. Also it wasn't really online friendly either as most console gamers didn't even go online at that time. But that's another story and i digress.

At any rate, all i can really say with certainty is that i'm here... waiting for the console release with much anticipation.

There aren't 700k+ subscribers in ESO. So everything you post after that statement is false.

Is it really? Well tell me then, how many subs does the game have?

(Also on a side note and not directly related to you but... why does everyone assume it's so hard to plug a keyboard into a console!? Virtually every single keyboard i use on my PC works on my PS3,PS4 and 360... and i've been using keyboard chat since 2003 in EverQuest Online Adventures A VERY social game where you couldn't do hardly ANYTHING solo and this was on Playstation TWO.)

Below is a video of EQOA, and what console gamers were doing over a decade ago! Some of you need a little wake up call in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjXwkJoNg-g
    Edited by EQOAnostalgia on December 3, 2014 12:07AM
  • EQOAnostalgia
    EQOAnostalgia
    ✭✭
    Gorthax wrote: »

Ok gotta explain this yet again. XBOX does not want their players to play With Playstation People. And Vice Versa.

FFXI was already around before the 360 version came out and was established meaning that if Xbox wanted it on their system they had to suck it up. FFXI could only do PS3 on backwards compatible and there's not much Xbox could do about that. It however did not come out natively for PS3. And PS3 came out what like a year after 360? So Xbox had already scooped that one up.

DCUO was a Sony game and did not come out on Xbox

Everquest came out on PS2 and PC and not Xbox

Xbox is fine with their players playing with PC people. Sony is fine with players playing with PC people. So they could scrap one and *** off part of the base and let the other base play with PC players. Or they can say screw it, and do everyone on different servers and avoid pissing off anyone.

So explain to me how adding 3x the work load is lazy. And how it's a money grab when they weren't even planning to do consoles but where asked to by the consoles themselves.

You are correct... only EverQuest came out on PC. The prequel to EverQuest... EverQuest Online Adventures was on PS2 and it had it's own servers. The only reason i know this is because it was my first mmorpg back in 2003 and it tore me up when it got shut down 9 years later.
  • HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons

I agree. FF14 (last time I played) didn't allow addons and using them were against TOS. Also there was already a bunch of elitism going on and all I saw at endgame was LFG No Console Players! How is that positive for the community?

Also Xbox and PS don't want their players on the same server. PS is fine with PS players playing with PC and Xbox is fine with being shared with PC. So they could do one of them but that leaves the other out in the cold. FF14 released in PC and PS3/PS4 which is why hey could do cross server.

Microsoft does not allow cross platform gaming. Period. End of discussion. Anything else is false.

• HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭

Imagine the PVP:

PC has add-ons

Microsoft does not allow cross platform gaming. Period. End of discussion. Anything else is false.

• Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple answer, no.

Not so simple answer, if you have a decent PC I don't know why those people would switch to consoles.
    I'm going to quote myself from above here:
    I have a friend who was going to sub up and be my running mate who's computer took a grand shite on him. Now he can't afford the $600-700 to purchase a new rig to play ESO. He can however afford a PS4 (with a little help from me) so that will be his obvious option.

If I want to play with my RL friend and not just the wonderful PC players I've met over the last couple months, I'll need to port to console.
    Some people could make an argument for comfort of playing on a couch or a controller, but now its relatively easy to hook up a PC to both a television and a controller. ZOS is also working on 360 controller support. Which will then be even easier for PC users.

What this will more than likely do is attract a lot more Skyrim players. which, hopefully means more income for ZOS and then more improvements or larger teams to work on those improvements and improve patch implementation. Of course there are players like some above who don't know how, or don't want to hook up their PC to make it closely resemble consoles, and if they are okay purchasing an inferior version, well then, they probably weren't the best people in game anyways ;)
    Really? I use a pad, 50" hdtv, do trials and vet dungeons no different than "the best people in the game" as you put it. EDIT: you may be referring to a player being less than optimal when forced to use the keyboard and not being familiar with it? I'm not sure it's hard to tell from the context. Thanks for the laugh though.
    Why anyone would play on the Xbox One if they have other options? Yah I don't get that one. But those who aren't responsible or think about their purchases usually don't make a lot of sense anyways. But to each their own I guess.
    again with the insults?! This may be hard to believe but some players have legitimate reasons for compromising a little bit of graphic quality and not simply "not responsible or thinking about their purchases" (See above).

Since your on the topic of the psychology of electronic purchases let me enlighten. This was my thought process:
    3. Purchase and play.

Lol they weren't insults, and you obviously didn't even understand my post because your response doesn't disprove anything I said. Actually you made the humor in my post actually look correct because of your vain attempt to argue with me just by repeating yourself. Not to surprising though....reading comprehension is something a lot of people lack so its cool bro.

The point is responsible customers who are money conscious if they want to play on a console should look for the PS4 version if they can't afford a computer version. Why even reply to my post if you don't even understand what I said, and then just repeat yourself lol good times. You need xbox live to play eso. You don't need playstation plus to play eso.

3. Purchase and play.

Your the perfect example of what I was saying, having the money, doesn't make something a responsible purchase. And from your numbered list you are obviously not someone who cares to make responsible purchasing decisions, which is fine, its not my money. But that doesn't change anything.
    Edited by Leeric on December 3, 2014 6:03PM
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the console version affects the PC version negatively in any way, I will never by another Elder Scrolls title and just play Morrowind until I die.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||