The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Roleplaying an Ashlander - the Head Piece

bellanca6561n
bellanca6561n
✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure where this belongs but if you want to role play an Ashlander or you rather liked the Ashlander arcs in the Pact quests and want to look like one, this is about that.

As most folks know, the Red Mountain armor is the Ashlander motif. The tricky part for me was the head piece as it's not part of the Red Mountain sets.

Hood of the Voidguide I was told was it. Couldn't find it on vendors. It's a low level item with no tactical value. Took a few characters through the Pact story line and it never dropped for me.

So I contacted the fine customer support folks for this game. All I wanted was a hint. Drops from Dark Anchors I was told. But, like all drops, not all the time. And given that it was a level 14-18 piece, not from all Dark Anchors in the Pact realms.

Redolent Loam Dolmen seemed the most likely candidate: the first Dark Anchor you encounter in Deshaan. So I camped it. And now that I'm on the EU server, starting over, I had the proper level character to do so and people to do it with. I live in Munich but played on the NA server since early access.

And here it is.....

HoodoftheVoidguide_zps24388102.png

We all have our loot I suppose. Yes, this is an odd thing to seek and cherish but, hey, who really buys that The Tribunal are gods? ;)
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Nice :) I loved beeing able to roleplay Ashlander in Morrowind and to be able to join their tribe. Thanks for the tips for their armour in ESO.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could you please give a link as to where you are basing your information on that the head gear and red mountain armor belongs with or has anything to do with the ashlanders.

thank you in advance
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dwemer_paleologist Can't find the original article that had the concept art in it, but here's the UESP link: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:ON-concept-Ashlander_clothing.png

edit: pic
    ON-concept-Ashlander_clothing.png
    Edited by Nazon_Katts on November 25, 2014 9:23PM
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no insult is intended here by my comment but,
    i see no evidence nor implication whatsoever that eso has Anything that is related even in the slightest with the ashlanders of morrowind.
    your link made from a picture that is about eso clothing is just that "eso clothing" and has nothing to do with the ashlanders of morrowind.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, the series as a whole deviated quite a bit from what it once was at the time of Morrowind. Think you won't find any evidence for whatsoever other than shared basic lore and the names in any subsequent and future TES installment.
    From a lore perspective, we're dealing with mainland Ashlanders of old in ESO, so it's not that much of an issue, when they're different to what we know from TESIII.

I agree with the sentiment however, that, quite sadly, the series seems to have had reached it's peak lore-wise with Morrowind, hasn't evolved much since and didn't change for the better. I don't expect much in this regard from TESVI either.

Tam!RUGH!
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure if this is what you meant, but here is an original picture of Wise Woman from Morrowind and it seems to me quite similar : http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Sinnammu_Mirpal
    but yes, I agree, just an armour isnt much for RP, but atleast its something :) I didnt expect to have their armour set in ESO :)
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's an ingame screenshot:
    3pF5T5s.jpg

I was just considering looking further into that look after questing in Deshaan with my VR7 alt. Thanks for this thread! :)
    Edited by Gyudan on November 26, 2014 1:13AM
    Wololo.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Here's an ingame screenshot:
    3pF5T5s.jpg

I was just considering looking further into that look after questing in Deshaan with my VR7 alt. Thanks for this thread! :)

the pic you show here is a very close image of the morrowind dress of the ashlander wise woman.

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know that there is a woman in stonefalls who is up on the side of the mountain that claims she is herself an ashlander. and it made me feel more at home but i believe that is the only one.
    i was wanting so badly to see eso create something for the ashlanders in a Vvardenfell expansion including the Grazelands near red mountain and perhaps even ashlander and common house dunmer dark elf clothing including the ashlander yurts, and maybe even balmora and vivec city? but, alas, that is yet but only a dream and a hope.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i happen to know personaly the leader of the ashlander player made guild in eso.
    last i heard he had 120 some members and growing.
    Edited by Gilvoth on November 26, 2014 1:37AM
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No references so precise old boy. The head piece speaks for itself. The Red Mountain armor simply *looks* like the clothing worn by Ashlanders you encounter in the game.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I just found out: is Red mountain set only medium? What about light set? the hood itself is light armour so I m not sure now.
    Edited by Mandragora on November 26, 2014 9:10AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i know that there is a woman in stonefalls who is up on the side of the mountain that claims she is herself an ashlander. and it made me feel more at home but i believe that is the only one.
    i was wanting so badly to see eso create something for the ashlanders in a Vvardenfell expansion including the Grazelands near red mountain and perhaps even ashlander and common house dunmer dark elf clothing including the ashlander yurts, and maybe even balmora and vivec city? but, alas, that is yet but only a dream and a hope.

There are others, that woman on the mountain has her entire tribe with her, and there are a number of others around. Admittedly they are not saying "Hello outsider, we are Ashlanders", but the Ebonheart Pact has them around.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are at least five story arcs in the Pact involving Ashlanders...

1. The outcast from her tribe gal looking for her Argonian outcast hunting partner.
    2. The Ashlanders who attacked the Shrine of St. Veloth due to fear of the plague.
    3. The Hunter outside Ebonheart whose leg was injured and asks you to hunt three dangerous creatures.
    4. The Ghost Snake folks who want to feed the idiot Hlaalu trader to the object of their worship
    5. The Ashlander male elder who decides his tribe should attack a monastery or somesuch over the objections of his head wisewoman.

And there is likely at least one more.

Here's my main in Red Mountain armor without the cops which I didn't like and with Primal (or Barbaric....I forget) boots. Well....she was my main until I went to the EU server.

There are Red Mountain boots for the outfit, I simply didn't like them as well. And, of course, this was before I got the Hood of the Voidguide which I did on my new character on the EU server.

AshlanderOutfit_zpsdca8543b.png
    Edited by bellanca6561n on November 26, 2014 3:04PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    insightfull indeed, i spent most my time in pvp and have not seen the ashlander's you speak of.
    awesome to know there is atleast more then i knew of.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    This is my orcish shaman with ashlander armour that she got in Epic I think:
    HC49J78.jpg

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mandragora wrote: »
    This is my orcish shaman with ashlander armour that she got in Epic I think:
    HC49J78.jpg
    this to me seems the most realistic and most beautiful of any armor or clothing i have ever seen in eso.
    well done :)
    please share where to find this wonderfull apparel.

now that we have the wisewoman clothing, we just need something for the ashkhan (leader) to wear. and also something for the common ashlander with no title to wear.

Edited by Gilvoth on November 26, 2014 5:59PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am in shock and cant get over how beautifull her clothing looks ...
    Edited by Gilvoth on November 26, 2014 6:01PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are at least five story arcs in the Pact involving Ashlanders...

1. The outcast from her tribe gal looking for her Argonian outcast hunting partner.
    2. The Ashlanders who attacked the Shrine of St. Veloth due to fear of the plague.
    3. The Hunter outside Ebonheart whose leg was injured and asks you to hunt three dangerous creatures.
    4. The Ghost Snake folks who want to feed the idiot Hlaalu trader to the object of their worship
    5. The Ashlander male elder who decides his tribe should attack a monastery or somesuch over the objections of his head wisewoman.

And there is likely at least one more.

Here's my main in Red Mountain armor without the cops which I didn't like and with Primal (or Barbaric....I forget) boots. Well....she was my main until I went to the EU server.

There are Red Mountain boots for the outfit, I simply didn't like them as well. And, of course, this was before I got the Hood of the Voidguide which I did on my new character on the EU server.

AshlanderOutfit_zpsdca8543b.png

i am very sorry but that armor looks like "bonemold" armor

• bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't doubt you've played more than a few Elder Scrolls games but, by your own admission, you don't know ESO very well. ESO is all I know of Elder Scrolls as I don't play single player games, even though ESO can very much feel like one when you're doing the story line quests.

Here's a sample of Ashlanders in ESO. All are Dark Elves by the way, and wear variations on this theme. Oh, and the women are all...uh....gorgeous which is what gets the Hlaau trader into trouble ;)

Raston_zpsde684e54.png
    Ashlander2_zps402f11ed.png
    Mabrigash2_zpse76bac1e.png
    Ashlander1_zpsb168133b.png

And a male member of the Mabrigash tribe:

Mabrigash1_zps2509bda5.png

My characters may not follow lore dating back two decades but they're hot and that's what matters to me the most. It's why I chose Dunmers. As Raston says, they're lovely.
    Andala_BattleGear_zps1738a9bb.png
    Andala_Bank_Duds_zpsa9a935bb.png
    Uravainthegrass_zps2958ef75.png

• Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorry it is not from ESO :) It is from Morrowind Overhaul with hardware 3d graphic adjustment.

I think Ashlanders are like Native American Indians, they have similar culture and even their armour was obviously inspired by them. That was even the reason why I liked them in Morrowind, because I like books from Karl May.

So I think any kind of armour that would be near to it would be OK. Medium armour looked really like Red Mountain set. In Morrowind was the armour of Wise Women more colourful, maybe it looks better because of that.

To be honest I like the ESO version too, but it seems like the light version isnt set, just random loot. Do you think Bellanca that they would give you names of the rest of the armour also?
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really the thing - I have to rely on you folks to tell me the lineage of a two decade old series of games, as the only one I've played is this one.

And just the story line in this case as the PvP portion failed to appeal to me. I never felt an overarching motivation in the PvP in ESO other than just killing other players, the factional motivation ruined by the fact that the story line had me play all three.

And, yes, it all seems like random loot. But it's not as if I know anyone at the studio.....I simply wrote customer support to ask for hints on how to get that specific piece. The Red Mountain armor pieces I found on guild store vendors.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and here's Shuldrashi - the outcast Ashlander you encounter early in the Pact story line when she asks you to find her Argonian partner. This outfit also has the cops and sash you find with the Red Mountain armor set as well as the chest and leg pieces.

Shuldrashi2_zps941c0cf2.png
    Edited by bellanca6561n on November 28, 2014 4:31PM
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind was great with its system of different kind of joinable factions. It was around 20, which is quite a lot :) All of them had rank system and you had to fulfil their requirements to be able to join and rank up. You wouldnt say how the small stupid quests suddenly had real meaning for you :) But it wasnt just that. They also had small stories of their relationships. So at the beginning you did some ordinary tasks - like to bring something, but with your progress you were introduced to their main enemies and the most hostile of them - Telvanni had requirement for beeing their archemage to kill the previous one :)

Also most of them were connected to the Main quest somehow.

The Main quest itself was awesome. The beginning was similar like in Dune by Frank Herbert - you were dreaming about an unknown country as a prisoner in the main imperial city. One day Emperor contacted you that he had vision about you that you are connected somehow with Morrowind which just became the latest imperial colony with a lot of unrest. So he gave you a choice - to die as a prisoner or to be sent to Morrowind as an imperial agent.

So at the beginning you can join imperial agents - Blades and do quest for their Blademaster. He tells you to try to join all the possible factions on the Island and listen carefully to find out what's going on.

There you start to hear about Ashlanders - that they are hostile nomad tribes camping on the north - east side of the Island.

When the blademaster really sent me there I didnt expect that :) By your meeting with them starts another important part of the main quest. I really loved it.

That is the reason why it seems that fans of Morrowind are complaining all the time - because Bethesda never actually continued in that system - since Oblivion the games share just the Lore, but Bethesda is focused on gorgeous graphic more then on the factions even though their Lore would be perfect for that.

I dont know any other game that would have it, so thats why all the nostalgia :)
    Edited by Mandragora on November 29, 2014 11:49PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and here's Shuldrashi - the outcast Ashlander you encounter early in the Pact story line when she asks you to find her Argonian partner. This outfit also has the cops and sash you find with the Red Mountain armor set as well as the chest and leg pieces.

Shuldrashi2_zps941c0cf2.png

that is bonemold armor (belt, cuirass, and pauldrons) found in morrowind on the Guards in Balmora. the ashlanders in morrowind wore clothing and if you did happen upon ashlanders wearing armor it would be leggings and maybe boots and sometimes 1 pauldron, made from steel mostly. most ashlanders would wear clothing.
    the developers of eso really just took armor and clothing they found and put it on npc's with no idea of what they were doing according to lore.

Edited by Gilvoth on November 30, 2014 12:36AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mandragora wrote: »
    Morrowind was great with its system of different kind of joinable factions. It was around 20, which is quite a lot :) All of them had rank system and you had to fulfil their requirements to be able to join and rank up. You wouldnt say how the small stupid quests suddenly had real meaning for you :) But it wasnt just that. They also had small stories of their relationships. So at the beginning you did some ordinary tasks - like to bring something, but with your progress you were introduced to their main enemies and the most hostile of them - Telvanni had requirement for beeing their archemage to kill the previous one :)

Also most of them were connected to the Main quest somehow.

The Main quest itself was awesome. The beginning was similar like in Dune by Frank Herbert - you were dreaming about an unknown country as a prisoner in the main imperial city. One day Emperor contacted you that he had vision about you that you are connected somehow with Morrowind which just became the latest imperial colony with a lot of unrest. So he gave you a choice - to die as a prisoner or to be sent to Morrowind as an imperial agent.

So at the beginning you can join imperial agents - Blades and do quest for their Blademaster. He tells you to try to join all the possible factions on the Island and listen carefully to find out what's going on.

There you start to hear about Ashlanders - that they are hostile nomad tribes camping on the north - east side of the Island.

When the blademaster really sent me there I didnt expect that :) By your meeting with them starts another important part of the main quest. I really loved it.

That is the reason why it seems that fans of Morrowind are complaining all the time - because Bethesda never actually continued in that system - since Oblivion the games share just the Lore, but Bethesda is focused on gorgeous graphic more then on the factions even though their Lore would be perfect for that.

I dont know any other game that would have it, so thats why all the nostalgia :)

perfectly written post. all truth from what i can see.
    well said Mandragora.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thank you.

I was frankly bewildered at times. A player stops me to tell me how much he loved the outfit of one of my characters - a mixture of primal and barbaric motifs - telling me how much it reminded him of Morrowind. I have no clue what he means.

I work at putting together an outfit of an Ashlander as I see them in this game and am told - albeit very nicely - that, nope, that's not "it."

Now I'm curious. Then I come across this video....

http://youtu.be/jf0jiOpD-AQ

And slowly much of the disappointment I failed to understand becomes a bit clearer ;)
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bellanca6561n, you have done nothing wrong. i am inlove with morrowind, and all that is Vvardenfell, and i have been since around 2000, 2001.
    any complaints i have are directed at the company called bethesda and zenimax only because of changes they made, that to be honest were inevitable.

in order for a company to stay in business they must stay on top of the times and allways creating new items and new experiance. this, sadly i understand and wish was not true but, it has ruined what we had in morrowind.

the clothing and armor for me that was found in morrowind gave me a personal experiance that i refuse to allow to be altered or changed.
    as i see others try to duplicate that armor or clothing i will allways see something to complain about it.

however, i will compliment elderscrolls online about one thing about the clothing And the armor And weapons.
    many of the weapons, armor, and clothing Does infact look Very much like what we saw in morrowind. and that for me is an amazing accomplishment they have accomplished, wether or not they meant to do that or not is beyond me to know.

the video you provided above about morrowind is very accurate and very truth in what he said. i enjoyed the video and i do respect and am thankfull that you would try to duplicate anything about morrowind, especially anything related to the ashlanders.
    and for that, i do tip my hat to you.

well done.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think one thing that is allways over looked and allways not being done is this ...

the very boring and plain look of the clothing in morrowind was perfection. it gave us something to grow on and start at. and to be like them in morrwind we had to become like thier clothing "boring, and plain"

the same can be said about the actions of the npc's in morrwind. thier actions were boring and plain. they had No schedule and Nothing to do all day and all night.
    and That was perfect! it led you to imagination and creativity.
    whereas in oblivion and skyrim we did not have that. instead, bethesda tried to create actions and activities for the npc's that totaly ruined the experiance and love we had with the boring in morrowind.

they tried to create life in a place that allready had life, lol. in doing so, they killed thier own game.