The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Soulfire Plateau - Any Help with Tactics??

diabeticDemon18
diabeticDemon18
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, this is just a thread for those who are in the AD and have noticed the same thing I did... soulfire plateau is ridiculously OP!! I enter the area, it's a level 7 area, no problem. I'm level 17, this shouldn't be a problem right? Then I get to the top of the plateau and the three level 7 bosses... yeah, they kill me in mere seconds... Faster than the level 38 bloodthorns in the vampire quest. Why is that even a thing? I understand that there are three WB's right next to each other basically, but holy F**K... I'm more than double their levels!! Why are they so hard???
Edited by diabeticDemon18 on November 21, 2014 3:06PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there are three of them and you aren't treating the fight like any other boss fight?

World bosses aren't meant to be soloed, and even though they can be, they will still smack you down hard if you don't pay attention to the mechanics of the fight.
    ----
    Murray?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish more world bosses were difficult.
  • Vrathak
    Vrathak
    ✭✭✭
    Well no complaints... At least there is one world boss worth grouping for.. All world bosses should be like that... But honestly... I soloed that WB at lvl 10... Dunno what your lvl 17 has but it might be a good idea to revise your build... Throw me out a mail ingame if you need some advice @‌Vrathak
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Vrathak wrote: »
    Well no complaints... At least there is one world boss worth grouping for.. All world bosses should be like that... But honestly... I soloed that WB at lvl 10... Dunno what your lvl 17 has but it might be a good idea to revise your build... Throw me out a mail ingame if you need some advice @‌Vrathak

I like playing to my own ideas. I don't use any guides or anything to figure out what's the "best" build. I play how I want to play, and if the character sucks in end game... I'll reroll and try again. But, my lvl 17 is a Templar, Altmer, 9 points invested in health, 6 points in magicka, and 2 points in stamina. Using Biting Jabs, Nova, Whirlwind, Dual Flurry, and one other that I don't remember the name of. I don't remember what my ultimate is called either. I eat sweetbread before going into battle, gaining 144 health... I wear heavy armor, all to my level and personally crafted and improved to "Fine" quality. Tell me how I get slaughtered so quickly with that build, what is "wrong" with my build?

Edit: Also, Biting Jabs is morphed to the one the heals you, I don't remember what it's name is. And, I am using the vampire drain skill now, I forgot that I changed that last night. The Templar ultimate is the one that causes a huge ball of fire to come down and do DoT to enemies in it's AoE
    Edited by diabeticDemon18 on November 21, 2014 2:30PM
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    And I agree, I want to group for World Bosses... but at that low of an area of the game, not many players have gotten to the point of wanting to group. It's basically a bunch of us noobs running around questing and Veteran players doing Silver & Gold
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I like playing to my own ideas. I don't use any guides or anything to figure out what's the "best" build. I play how I want to play, and if the character sucks in end game... I'll reroll and try again. But, my lvl 17 is a Templar, Altmer, 9 points invested in health, 6 points in magicka, and 2 points in stamina. Using Biting Jabs, Nova, Whirlwind, Dual Flurry, and one other that I don't remember the name of. I don't remember what my ultimate is called either. I eat sweetbread before going into battle, gaining 144 health... I wear heavy armor, all to my level and personally crafted and improved to "Fine" quality. Tell me how I get slaughtered so quickly with that build, what is "wrong" with my build?

1. There's nothing wrong with "playing to your own ideas," but that doesn't mean that all your builds will be equally effective.
    2. If you get to endgame and find that you're having issues, then change your bar loadout. Rerolling a character in this game is absolutely idiotic, as you have nothing stopping you from completely changing your skill loadout and specializations once you hit endgame.
    3. I don't know if there's anything wrong with your build, but I'm 100% sure there's something wrong with your tactical approach to this fight. Stop standing in the red. Stop ignoring block/dodge mechanics. Stop playing this game as though it's another MMO where combat involves you standing in place and spamming abilities.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    The World Bosses do vary radically in difficulty. As a rule, the ones that come in groups are much, much harder than the solo ones. One hint in general: see if the world boss responds to crowd control (e.g. can you stun it?) It makes a world of difference if you can stop it from doing ugly things to you...
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

1. There's nothing wrong with "playing to your own ideas," but that doesn't mean that all your builds will be equally effective.
    2. If you get to endgame and find that you're having issues, then change your bar loadout. Rerolling a character in this game is absolutely idiotic, as you have nothing stopping you from completely changing your skill loadout and specializations once you hit endgame.
    3. I don't know if there's anything wrong with your build, but I'm 100% sure there's something wrong with your tactical approach to this fight. Stop standing in the red. Stop ignoring block/dodge mechanics. Stop playing this game as though it's another MMO where combat involves you standing in place and spamming abilities.

I don't just stand in the red circle, I dodge and block when I can, they're all three necromancers who spawn zombies at the same time and then whenever I try to focus my DPS on one of them, one of the others takes up a healing role and starts healing him. Then I go to attack him, but I'm dead before I get a chance. I know you can change the loadout, but sorry that I'd rather reroll and have another progression to go through, that's more fun to me. Doesn't mean it's idiotic just because you wouldn't do it. And I never said my builds will be equally effective??

You don't know how I play. How can you possibly say "Stop ignoring everything." when you never asked how I do the fight?? Don't assume I don't know how to play
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even in the realm of world bosses that particular one was always a step above the others..
    in vet levels soloing world bosses is generally quite easy.. save a few outstanding bosses. the storm antronach in the second zone of DC comes to mind but mostly because you cant do anything to CC that guy and have to purely race in DPS against it. (there is a similar Antro in AD zone 3)

but yes, for its level, Soulfire is one of those world bosses that isnt quite as easy as the others.. since all are summoners you have alot of damage to contend with. if you fight it at the lower levels, the lack of focus on builds alone will doom you.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't just stand in the red circle, I dodge and block when I can, they're all three necromancers who spawn zombies at the same time and then whenever I try to focus my DPS on one of them, one of the others takes up a healing role and starts healing him. Then I go to attack him, but I'm dead before I get a chance. I know you can change the loadout, but sorry that I'd rather reroll and have another progression to go through, that's more fun to me. Doesn't mean it's idiotic just because you wouldn't do it. And I never said my builds will be equally effective??

You don't know how I play. How can you possibly say "Stop ignoring everything." when you never asked how I do the fight?? Don't assume I don't know how to play

I can assume you aren't paying attention to the fight mechanics (to the extent that you're able to use them) because that's how bosses work. If you know the mechanics, you'll beat them.

Now, again, no world boss is technically meant to be soloed, so if you're really having trouble, get someone to come with you. But beating any set of world bosses mainly involves being smart about the order in which you take on the bosses.
    ----
    Murray?
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Ohioastro wrote: »
    The World Bosses do vary radically in difficulty. As a rule, the ones that come in groups are much, much harder than the solo ones. One hint in general: see if the world boss responds to crowd control (e.g. can you stun it?) It makes a world of difference if you can stop it from doing ugly things to you...

Thanks for the tip!! I'll switch back in binding spear and start using that (I just spent the skillpoint on it and haven't fought them sense I got it) and I'll see what I can do :)
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

I can assume you aren't paying attention to the fight mechanics (to the extent that you're able to use them) because that's how bosses work. If you know the mechanics, you'll beat them.

Now, again, no world boss is technically meant to be soloed, so if you're really having trouble, get someone to come with you. But beating any set of world bosses mainly involves being smart about the order in which you take on the bosses.

I understand the fight mechanics, but yes I do sometimes mess up and get caught in a few red circles or something and take a hit that has a slow debuff... then I'm screwed... I will admit that. I'll try to reorder my way I attack them, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm more confused on how they do so much damage to me when they're that many levels below me
  • elowan
    elowan
    ✭✭✭
    Don't assume I don't know how to play

Fair enough, but understand that most of us aren't just coming and commenting totally out of the blue, with no experience. I've killed Soulfire on four separate characters (twice in regular first-zone-AD, once in Pact Gold Auridon, and once in Covenant Silver Auridon). It's definitely a noticeable (and jarring) step up in difficulty compared to the first few accessible WBs in the area, but it's hardly impossible.

At least part of this is because it's the first of its type - a multi-boss WB. Most of the Auridon WBs are either solo bosses, or single-boss-plus-normal-minion type. Soulfire is 3x bosses, all of whom are summoners to boot. You cannot apply the normal single-WB strategy here. All three are ranged, all three summon adds that can overwhelm you if you're not careful.

Your best bet is to just group up and take them out, but they're possible to solo, with care and a bit of luck. The main issues is that you need to interrupt all three of them, take out any adds they summon before you're overwhelmed, and burn them down asap. In L10 Auridon, this is not an endurance fight so much as a DPS/interrupt fight, imo. If you can long-term stun one of them (if you have that ability opened), that can make the fight easier, although obviously beware your AOEs awakening them.

You're catching some irritated comments because you're acting like we're criticizing you with no grounds - but the fact is, most of us have done this boss before. Yes, it's a noticeably stronger boss - but it's also doable. There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with your build / techniques, but they clearly aren't working out here - you need to be able to switch up your tactics, or this kind of thing will happen more and more, as you level up.

Also, fundamentally, world bosses are intended as group activities. Try completing it during a busy time of day, and you shouldn't have trouble getting people to come out.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    elowan wrote: »
    Don't assume I don't know how to play

Fair enough, but understand that most of us aren't just coming and commenting totally out of the blue, with no experience. I've killed Soulfire on four separate characters (twice in regular first-zone-AD, once in Pact Gold Auridon, and once in Covenant Silver Auridon). It's definitely a noticeable (and jarring) step up in difficulty compared to the first few accessible WBs in the area, but it's hardly impossible.

At least part of this is because it's the first of its type - a multi-boss WB. Most of the Auridon WBs are either solo bosses, or single-boss-plus-normal-minion type. Soulfire is 3x bosses, all of whom are summoners to boot. You cannot apply the normal single-WB strategy here. All three are ranged, all three summon adds that can overwhelm you if you're not careful.

Your best bet is to just group up and take them out, but they're possible to solo, with care and a bit of luck. The main issues is that you need to interrupt all three of them, take out any adds they summon before you're overwhelmed, and burn them down asap. In L10 Auridon, this is not an endurance fight so much as a DPS/interrupt fight, imo. If you can long-term stun one of them (if you have that ability opened), that can make the fight easier, although obviously beware your AOEs awakening them.

You're catching some irritated comments because you're acting like we're criticizing you with no grounds - but the fact is, most of us have done this boss before. Yes, it's a noticeably stronger boss - but it's also doable. There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with your build / techniques, but they clearly aren't working out here - you need to be able to switch up your tactics, or this kind of thing will happen more and more, as you level up.

Also, fundamentally, world bosses are intended as group activities. Try completing it during a busy time of day, and you shouldn't have trouble getting people to come out.

That's fair, thank you for the comment! I figured they were doable, I just feel it's ridiculous I can outlevel them by that much and still get F-ed up lol BUT you are right, it's doable if done right. The name may sound as if I want a nerf for them, but really I wanted tips on how people have done it before. Criticizing is fine, just don't assume I'm playing the game like a fool (ie. standing in the AoEs, not blocking, and not dodging or rolling). I have been trying, I just haven't found a good tactic to fight them. I'm gonna rename the thread to something a little more like what I want out of it. Thanks for the feedback, again
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Advice for Soulfire is to send out a Zone Request "Anyone up for Soulfire?" because everyone usually needs help for that one. Everyone gets their butt kicked by these guys the first time and if they know someone is going to be there to help, they will show up.

BTW, there are usually two bosses per Zone that you may as well forget about trying to solo. You will figure it out as you try, and again, people will show up because they realize they can't be solo'd.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your a DK and are high enough to have Reflective Scales, you can use that to kill the bosses and focus entirely on midigating damage from the summoned zombies...

otherwise single target stun abilitys wtih long durations or any CC can be useful, if you have Negate as a Sorc, throw that down and do as much as you can in the window.. Pets will hold aggro on a few mobs, (clanfear will often tank several)

Shadow Ultimate that NB has will make you very resistant to their damage for the duration, so i would suggest that for a NB and seeing how much you can do in that time frame.

Templar, the Puncturing Sweep ability is probably good enough to do massive effect on them as long as you keep moving, throwing in a Nova for extra damage midigation would also be of benifit.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring friends (or say something in zone chat, people will come).

Also, 3 WB x 7 = 21, so I wouldn't expect to solo them before that level.
    The Moot Councillor
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    My Advice for Soulfire is to send out a Zone Request "Anyone up for Soulfire?" because everyone usually needs help for that one. Everyone gets their butt kicked by these guys the first time and if they know someone is going to be there to help, they will show up.

BTW, there are usually two bosses per Zone that you may as well forget about trying to solo. You will figure it out as you try, and again, people will show up because they realize they can't be solo'd.

Thank you, that's actually really helpful!!
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

F***ing math... lol
    Edited by diabeticDemon18 on November 21, 2014 3:21PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the first time I did Soulfire as a Duo I was a VR1 and was 43 levels above the boss as I was finishing up the leveling zones. One other character had done it when there were like 10 other players so the fight was easy peasy and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Most other bosses except one I solo'd or duo'd as I was leveling. So I figured this one was much the same.

Anyway, I decided to hold back so the L10 could have more fun, I was just going to step in if they got into trouble. Yea, that didn't work. I had to crank it up and use my full rotation and fortunately I kept the L10 alive and did not die myself. After it was over, I said in chat, WTF just happened here? If I had known I would have opened up with different tactics and stayed on top of the fight. But, I was playing catch up with this one.

So, now if I am around and I see a Soulfire request, I come running and loaded for bear, because I know what now.
    Edited by Nestor on November 21, 2014 3:33PM

• diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I remember the first time I did Soulfire as a Duo I was a VR1 and was 43 levels above the boss as I was finishing up the leveling zones. One other character had done it when there were like 10 other players so the fight was easy peasy and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Most other bosses except one I solo'd or duo'd as I was leveling. So I figured this one was much the same.

Anyway, I decided to hold back so the L10 could have more fun, I was just going to step in if they got into trouble. Yea, that didn't work. I had to crank it up and use my full rotation and fortunately I kept the L10 alive and did not die myself. After it was over, I said in chat, WTF just happened here? If I had known I would have opened up with different tactics and stayed on top of the fight. But, I was playing catch up with this one.

So, now if I am around and I see a Soulfire request, I come running and loaded for bear, because I know what now.

That's what I find crazy!! You were a VR1, as you said !!!!!!!43!!!!!! levels above the bosses, and it was still a challenge!! That big of a level gap, you would think it'd almost be a one hit kill!
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the same can be said of the Storm Atronach boss at Pelda Tarn in Greenshade, especially in VR. It remains uncompleted because first of all in general Storm Atronachs give me a lot of trouble and second of all, it kills me in about 2-3 hits, no CC works on it and it hits like a mack truck as well.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be a group of 4, on level. Then you'll beat it with ease. :)
    Edited by Maotti on November 21, 2014 4:05PM
    PC EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I find crazy!! You were a VR1, as you said !!!!!!!43!!!!!! levels above the bosses, and it was still a challenge!! That big of a level gap, you would think it'd almost be a one hit kill!

Yep, unless you have a mob with you, there are a couple of Bosses in each zone that are a real challenge no matter what.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the same can be said of the Storm Atronach boss at Pelda Tarn in Greenshade, especially in VR. It remains uncompleted because first of all in general Storm Atronachs give me a lot of trouble and second of all, it kills me in about 2-3 hits, no CC works on it and it hits like a mack truck as well.

The 1 H/S skill that absorbs or reflects spells is absolutely needed for that one. If you have that skill up, then you can duo this one. Otherwise bring a mob with you.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

I've tried the Soulfire plateau at level 47 on my own, it still overpowered, and this was before they let Bosses level up to match you.

No the only solution is to group it, which is harder than it sounds, as DiabeticDemon said, it's hard to group for that one, most people just don't want to know.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • LordEcks
    LordEcks
    ✭✭✭
    some solo builds can rip through these bosses like nothing. SF and that Storm Atro included. Try out a Redguard Sorc med armor 2H crit surge crit focus build with Brawler. Cakewalk. Especially bosses that summon adds like SF, it only makes the brawler dmg shield stronger and increases the self healing from crit surge.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    LordEcks wrote: »
    some solo builds can rip through these bosses like nothing. SF and that Storm Atro included. Try out a Redguard Sorc med armor 2H crit surge crit focus build with Brawler. Cakewalk. Especially bosses that summon adds like SF, it only makes the brawler dmg shield stronger and increases the self healing from crit surge.

OK... That's really cool and all... but I don't want to be a Redguard Sorc using 2handed weapons and Medium Armor... I don't want builds that can beat these bosses. I want combat techniques...
  • LordEcks
    LordEcks
    ✭✭✭

OK... That's really cool and all... but I don't want to be a Redguard Sorc using 2handed weapons and Medium Armor... I don't want builds that can beat these bosses. I want combat techniques...

Sorry, the point I was making is that at such a low level a hard boss like this solo will require good tactics AND a solid build/gear.

For other classes more learned players might chime in but for Sorc thats definitely a strong solo build.

• someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a Templar myself, I find that Blazing Spear (a Spear Shard morph) is absolutely fundamental to soloing many WBs. I noticed a lot of your abilities were melee based... I personally have not had much success with soloing WB with a melee Templar build... Not saying it cannot be done, just saying that might be part of your prob.

I suggest learning the wonders of kiting. Use Blazing Spears to stun, ignore ADDs and keep moving moving moving, while unloading with Reflective Light, heavy Restro staff attacks (for magika regen) or a destro staff or a bow. Keep moving, stunning, and kiting.

Map your main moves to your mouse buttons (or consider getting a gaming keypad like the 2014 Razer Keypad Orbweaver) and you'll be ok.

OR

As others have said, ask for help in zone. Even though I can solo 90% of the WBs sometimes I ask for help too cause it is just easier and faster and a lot less stress.

Lastly, there is no shame going to your zone's capital area and doing a skill re-set or a morph re-set. RE-doing a toon just because you picked a wrong skill or passive is seriously as silly as those people who want to, literally, walk everywhere cause they think its more realistic.

This is a game... if you take it too seriously you really do need help. This is not a life simulator :wink:
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO