The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dragon Knight DPS build sharing(for group content like trials and vet dungeons)

owewu
owewu
Today after patch 1.5.5 eso decided to shut me down with another bug (the launcher began to download the whole 27GB game instead of the new patch and.. with ridiculously slow download speed). Have been downloading for more than 12 hours. so with this no-play period of my time I decided to share some DK dps build.
I used scattered info with my research so this might be a familiar DK build to a seasoned DK player , but I hope it will be helpful to someone who are new to the concept of fire mage dragon knight.

First of all (and most importantly), you need good teammates in group event. :) I usually do tanking with three awesome EP players(D'enoht, Aelandril, Whitewish) to sweep vet dungoens and DSA. As a High Elf DK, I started to explore the possibility in dps and found this new dps build after I participated in more Trial raids with Tamriel Rangers and Fear is Failure Guilds.

SKILLS
DestroStaff1(for boss/single target)
-Magelight(mage guild skill: gives you 20% spell crit boost)
-Engulfing flames(DK class skill fiery breath morph: gives good DOT, extra flame dmg)
-Unstable flame(DK class skill searing strike morph: gives high and accelerating DOT)
-Crushing shock(DestroStaff skill force shock morph: gives high instant element dmg). It can be replaced by Fire rune from mage guild skill which suppose to give more synergy with other flaming-damage skills, but I usually use crushing shock coz it requires less apm, more instant and better accuracy on single/distant target, especially in serpent trial, also crushing shock's interruption is useful in many circumstances.
-Spell symmetry(mage guild skill Equilibrium morph, provides more sustainability in long combats and spell power boost in activation). Replace this skill with Annulment(light armor skill) when fighting Wispmother boss in AA for survivability (or any other circumstances you feeling you could get an unavoidable deadly hit).
-Ult. Standard of might(DK class ult, provide max aoe dmg and flaming synergy)

DestroStaff2(for aoe/group support)
-Magelight
-Rapid maneuver(Alliance Assault skill, useful in speed trial run or you simply wanna go faster). Can be replaced by other supporting skills like elemental drain and molten weapons
-Pulsar(DestroStaff skill, gives intensive aoe and also flaming synergy with DK skills/passives)
-Crushing shock(gives some complementary single target aoe and is also handy when you need emergent interruption, literally this slot can be filled by any dps skill, just improvise)
-Extended chain(DK class skill fiery grip morph, this skill is crucial in all trials coz you need to chain in mobs to help the group in positioning aoe dps and prevent high dmg from ranged-attacking mobs such as archers and sorcs)
-Ult. Standard of might (Change to alliance ultimates Sturdy Warhorn or Barrier in serpent trial if your teammates don’t have them)

GEARS(7X light armor, warlock ring and neck, 2xinferno destruction staff):

WarlockX5(provides good magika sustain since all abilities are magika based, 2 light armor in head/robe/leg)
AetherX3(provides spell dmg and crit)
Twilight's embraceX3(include destro staff, gives health bonus which will be extremely useful in serpent trial, and also spell crit)
All armors use max magika enchantment, infused trait(head/leg/robe), divine trait(glove/shoulder/shoe/belt), spell power enchantment in jewelries, critical trait and magika regen enchantment in weapon. (This is crucial coz the trait and enchantment combination is proved to be the most efficient)
Mundus stone: the shadow.

STATS

With all attribute points added to health, the stats will be(I leave out some stats like weapon crit coz it doesn’t affect much in dps for this build):
Without any pvp buffs or food:2200magika, 2400hp,1400stam,135spellpower,49%spellcrit
With pvp buff and food(I have emperor buff and eat fortified sweetroll):2500+magika, 3100hp, 1400stam, 139 spellpower,57%spellcrit
With sturdy warhorn buff, mag/hp/stam will be more boosted up in serpent trial( don’t enter serpent with less than 2700hp, you will die)

COMBAT

For single target/boss, continuously apply engulfing flames(every 7 seconds) and unstable flame(every 10 seconds). Use crushing shock and heavy attacks between refreshing DOT.
Continuously use spell power pots and and Spell symmetry to boost spell power and regain magika. Timing of magika regen is important especially in long fights like mantikora(first boss in serpent trial), the warrior(last boss in Hel Ra). The loop should be warlock magika flood-spell power pot-spell symmetry x3-spellpower pot-spell symmetry x3-warlock magika flood. Each cycle is 1 minute.
With the build and skills, dps will be 1100-1400 on single target/boss if you find the right pace to apply DOT. Dps will fall a bit when you dealing with non-melee- friendly boss which makes you move a lot during the fight or you need to switch to off-hand to apply some group supporting skills like elemental drain constantly.
For aoe dps(mainly on mobs and boss adds), simply pick a good spot, chain in all mobs and spam pulsar. With race passive and dk flaming synergy, aoe dps can easily reach 2500+. I used to hit down a pack of vr12 zombies in Vet Wayrest with 6500 dps.

SUMMARY
I can’t say this is the best dps build coz I’ve read some articles about 1900+dps DKs. But considering ESO has DK nerfed several times and this build also include some useful group supporting skills, I’d say this is a good build to make you a useful member in group content.
Certainly there can be some improvements. For example, during short fights like first two bosses in AA, you can replace one or two warlock set with twilight embrace/aether which gives extra spell power instead of magika sustain. It will increase dps a bit but not significantly because the spell power has hit soft cap. Also I want to try other new COA fire dmg light armor sets to see if there will be any further improvements. I would like to hear some recommendations if you have tried new 1.5 sets.
Edited by owewu on November 18, 2014 4:12PM