The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Is a sorc non-crit build possible

Pyatra
Pyatra
✭✭✭
As the title. Is a sorc non-crit build viable?
PvE I know it doesn't matter much but with a large amount of people running impenetrable the cost doesn't justify the end result. Out of 5 lighting floods thrown on various groups I noticed it was only proc'ing 1 in 20 times, running a spell crit of around 68%.

I don't want to limit this to just PvP even though mobs usually don't have high crit resistance but a boss or adds might in future content.
Edited by Pyatra on November 17, 2014 6:57AM
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been running one for a couple of weeks and worked quite fine for me. I'm not the best sorc but I think I can deal with an average player.

IMO your capability to play your class plays a much bigger role than build (from a certain build level on, and non-crit is certainly on that level), just play a build you are comfortable with.

Btw: non-crit = 10% crit from the light armor passive in my case
    Edited by Sublime on November 17, 2014 8:43AM
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »
    As the title. Is a sorc non-crit build viable?
    PvE I know it doesn't matter much but with a large amount of people running impenetrable the cost doesn't justify the end result. Out of 5 lighting floods thrown on various groups I noticed it was only proc'ing 1 in 20 times, running a spell crit of around 68%.

I don't want to limit this to just PvP even though mobs usually don't have high crit resistance but a boss or adds might in future content.

ehhh its possible, just not vary easy. spell power just add more direct damage last time I looked. so even if you added spell power stuff on your gear it would not be enough imo...and crit heals scorc which id say is better then lower damage over all.

Options
  • Germtrocity
    Germtrocity
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would suggest focusing your armor sets to give you more sustain and less crit. While it is nice to hit 1.2k crystal shards on people with crit, it is quite unlikely due to the amount of people running impenetrable. My best advice to you, however, would be to just play your build the way you are most comfortable with. In my case this is a non crit build for PvP and a crit build for PvE.
    Options
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    no.
    Options
  • Jahosefat
    Jahosefat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find I get very little benefit from stacking crit in PVP. Sure, I blow up the squishy people faster, but I can generally kill them no problem without the crit. Most tough/good players are still rolling impen, where stacked crit is useless and almost gimpy (due to lack of other stats that can make killing them easier).

For crushing shock builds I find weapon power>>> crit.
    For class ability builds I find this regime to work: Spell power~soft cap> mag above 2500-2600> Health around 2.9k> Mag cost reduction> Mag regen> crit.

So yeah, I think non crit sorc is viable (PVP). I actually think it is better in most every situation other than blowing up a squishy dude (which you can to do without the cit). I still roll full impen on my sorc, and have found it is a huge buff to survivability (totally worth it).
    Joeshock- AD NA AB Thorn Chill Sorc New Eden Low Sec Roamer

Fight not with monsters lest ye become one
    Options
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Jahosefat wrote: »
    I find I get very little benefit from stacking crit in PVP. Sure, I blow up the squishy people faster, but I can generally kill them no problem without the crit. Most tough/good players are still rolling impen, where stacked crit is useless and almost gimpy (due to lack of other stats that can make killing them easier).

For crushing shock builds I find weapon power>>> crit.
    For class ability builds I find this regime to work: Spell power~soft cap> mag above 2500-2600> Health around 2.9k> Mag cost reduction> Mag regen> crit.

So yeah, I think non crit sorc is viable (PVP). I actually think it is better in most every situation other than blowing up a squishy dude (which you can to do without the cit). I still roll full impen on my sorc, and have found it is a huge buff to survivability (totally worth it).

Good feedback and assessment on prioritizing stats for PVP. Good stuff.

Options
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to call yourself DPS in PVE, you MUST be running a crit build. Without it, your DPS will cap around 500 which is unacceptably low with the new dungeon scaling. Sorc has the lowest DPS in the game, so, unfortunately, the only way to bring it up is to run a crit build.

You should NOT be running a crit build in PVP. You should be going full mana/weapon power.
    Edited by s7732425ub17_ESO on November 21, 2014 5:53PM
    Options
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to call yourself DPS in PVE, you MUST be running a crit build. Without it, your DPS will cap around 500 which is unacceptably low with the new dungeon scaling. Sorc has the lowest DPS in the game, so, unfortunately, the only way to bring it up is to run a crit build.

You should NOT be running a crit build in PVP. You should be going full mana/weapon power.

I actually manage to get 700-800 dps and 900-1k on deadric for 200k hp dung bosses with a non-crit build.
    Edited by Sublime on November 27, 2014 8:20AM
    Options