The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dragons of Tamriel: What happened to them, and why are they gone by the time of TES V?

mr.scottkenyonub17_ESO
Now, for Skyrim Veterans, you might love the idea of the Dragons returning to the land of Tamriel after millenniums of absence. You might also be wondering: What happened after the Dragon War? Where did the Dragons go? How long did it take for them to die out? Time to answer those questions, and give revelation as to their place in the time in ESO.

First off, who are the dragons? For players new to the franchise, the Dragons were a sort of race of Old Gods that ruled over the ancient Nords, both respected and feared. That all changed when the Dragon War started, which, with the help of Kynereth and Parthuunax, Alduin's older brother and second in command, ended in a Nord Victory. The Dragons soon became hunted, and by the time of Skyrim, they were all but extinct.

That is the short version of the history of the Dragons leading up to Skyrim, but what really happened might surprise you.
The history of the Dragons after the Dragon War was kept rather vague by Bethesda, but reading stories in-game can give a slight perspective as to their fate in an aging Tamriel.
The first clue is Parthuunax. It's been made rather clear that he survived throughout time, thanks to his seclusion at the top of the Throat of the World. It was clear he was watching the world from a distance, awaiting the time in which Alduin would return, along with a champion who would be able to stop him.
Another clue came from the stories of Tiber Septim's conquest of all Tamriel. In one record (I can't remember which one), Septim called a Dragon to defeat the forces of Hammerfell, suggesting a pact was made with the few surviving Dragons. This piece of evidence clearly suggests that the Dragons survived at least to the time of Tiber Septim's conquest, approximately 600-800 years before Skyrim. The time of ESO is about 200-400 years before that, as it was stated that the game takes place one thousand years before Skyrim.
By this logic, it is quite clear that the Dragons are still alive as of the Invasion of Molag Bal. However, their rarity is still unclear. Based on the activity seen in Skyrim at this period in time, Dragons must be pretty damn rare.

This leads to my consensus. When will be seeing the Dragons in ESO? Will they be allies? Enemies? Or will they be a faction hell bent on stopping Molag Bal, due to their connection to Akatosh? Will we catch a glimpse of Parthuunax? And, more importantly, can they be called upon? These are questions that will be answered in time. I have my hopes, as well as my doubts. What about you?

-Amuil Geeltus, long-time concept writer

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback from my previous posts here on the Forums. *Phew* It's sure been awhile since I posted anything, let alone played ESO. Considering the content of Update Five, I might return to the game with a vigor. Heck, I might even start livestreaming again from level 42 onwards (overleveled for the Rift, no doubt).
This was just an interesting thing for me to post while the updates continue to pump out, exercise those long dormant TES lore-books in my mind. If you think I should start livestreaming again, feel free to let me know here.
That is, once I can get over the fun I'm having with Divinity II. Great game.