The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS Sorc Need Advice on Fire build (dps seems low)

ryan.noahb14_ESO
ryan.noahb14_ESO
Soul Shriven
Thank you to anyone that can set me straight here.

I am running a VR11 Sorc in full Yellow gear with all enchants. (gear is between VR8-10 ATM). My dps seems low (450 sustained roughly. This may have something to do with my attempted build, and I am a tad confused on destro staff and how stamina/weapon dmg compute light/heavy attacks.

Buffed my + magica is well overpowerd something like +250, crit is about 45% (stacked this). Racially I have the 6% + fire dmg. Looking to go 5/5 "of the sun" for additional + fire dmg at VR12.

My setup. (attempt at a heavy fire spec sorc)
Destro staff - [passives mages light and critical surge]
Main rotation - Force shock - Impulse(aoe) - Heavy/light attack if mana low.
I also keep destructive clench on my bar in group situations to knock back mobs off healers in group content.

Basically I am spamming force shock and weaving in some light attacks, when mana gets low I use heavy attacks to recoup mana.

How does stamina/weapon dmg effect my destro staff abilities... am I gimped to hell on my heavy/light attacks due to having no + stamina?

Any rotation help or insights into how to grow this 450dps to a more respectable amount (not counting potions) would be super helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any assistance.

Best,
Rhinoceri
  • Father
    Father
    ✭✭✭
    Weapns use Weapon damage; That includes staves.
    If you want to boost your dps then stack weapon damage and spell crit.
    Try using animation canceling with crushing shock,you will love it :)
    Make sure to have a Sharpened trait on the staff and wear 7/7 Light armor.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, ZOS plans on changing the damage of light/heavy staff attacks from weapon damage to magic damage.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1358832/#Comment_1358832
    Edited by NotSo on November 13, 2014 1:32PM
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, ZOS plans on changing the damage of light/heavy staff attacks from weapon damage to magic damage.

Actually, this is not what they said in the post you quoted at all. They said they would change *skills* that use magicka/stamina to be consistent and always use either spell cirt/spell damage or weapon crit/weapon damage. No mention at all was made of light or heavy attacks.
    Edited by guybrushtb16_ESO on November 13, 2014 1:52PM
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭

Actually, this is not what they said in the post you quoted at all. They said they would change *skills* that use magicka/stamina to be consistent and always use either spell cirt/spell damage or weapon crit/weapon damage. No mention at all was made of light or heavy attacks.

But that would be weird though, because they would change how all the Staff Skills work, but not the Light/heavy attack? That would be even more inconsistent than it already is.
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to anyone that can set me straight here.

I am running a VR11 Sorc in full Yellow gear with all enchants. (gear is between VR8-10 ATM). My dps seems low (450 sustained roughly. This may have something to do with my attempted build, and I am a tad confused on destro staff and how stamina/weapon dmg compute light/heavy attacks.

Buffed my + magica is well overpowerd something like +250, crit is about 45% (stacked this). Racially I have the 6% + fire dmg. Looking to go 5/5 "of the sun" for additional + fire dmg at VR12.

My setup. (attempt at a heavy fire spec sorc)
    Destro staff - [passives mages light and critical surge]
    Main rotation - Force shock - Impulse(aoe) - Heavy/light attack if mana low.
    I also keep destructive clench on my bar in group situations to knock back mobs off healers in group content.

Basically I am spamming force shock and weaving in some light attacks, when mana gets low I use heavy attacks to recoup mana.

How does stamina/weapon dmg effect my destro staff abilities... am I gimped to hell on my heavy/light attacks due to having no + stamina?

Any rotation help or insights into how to grow this 450dps to a more respectable amount (not counting potions) would be super helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any assistance.

Best,
    Rhinoceri

Something seems off here... Are you talking PVP or PVE? I know the benchmarks for PVE for that build but PVP varies on the target's build.

So you are using Crit Surge, Crushing shot LA weave? Only other thing to boost is throw on the Ultimate Flawless Dawnbreaker for and passive boost to weapon damage. Is the skill line at 50 and Crushing shock maxed out? All passives?

EDIT: Also what is your DPS until you run out of Magicka, we can work on sustain, but first goal is to trouble shoot the DPS. Also on fire staffs I find it easier to do a partial heavy weave. Start with Crushing shot - we will say button #1, immediately after hitting #1 begin holding down the mouse button and release the moment CS animation ends.
    Edited by Pyatra on November 13, 2014 5:46PM