The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PROBLEM: Clothier Surveys do not Offer Leather

Eiron77
Eiron77
✭✭✭✭
Completed the Clothier writ today for the first time. I was highly disppointed that the survey map only offered light cloth materials and no leather at all. I understand there are no "leather nodes" to gather, but--imo--they should offer some rich animal carcasses that give plentiful amounts of leather when looted.

I haven't used any light armor for my main character and don't plan to. If the clothier surveys don't offer leather, then I don't have much use to take the time searching for the location. Just seems shortsighted for Zenimax to not have thought about this.

To be fair I have only completed one survey. If clothier surveys do have a chance to offer more leather, then I'd be happy to hear about it.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hadn't considered that one, of course there are no Leather Nodes, and a survey that leads to beast you have to kill will be harvested without the survey. Hmm, maybe they could add some special chests with leather inside.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that is one of the huge advantages of medium armor is that a ton of stuff you kill gives raw leather as a drop so it kind of makes sense for no survey to get extra. I do think there is the potential to give a notice on a roaming beast that will give a higher level of materials to be tanned into leather. Likely a "balance" issue driving that decision.
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlexDougherty - I do like the idea of a special beast to kill, rather than animal carcasses. Maybe the survey could lead to the animal's lair that takes you to a solo instance--that way no one else can profit from your rich animal "node."
    Ommamar wrote: »
    I think that is one of the huge advantages of medium armor is that a ton of stuff you kill gives raw leather as a drop so it kind of makes sense for no survey to get extra. I do think there is the potential to give a notice on a roaming beast that will give a higher level of materials to be tanned into leather. Likely a "balance" issue driving that decision.

This is true, but not all animal kills offer leather as a way to balance nodes with skinning, I run across just as many nodes for ore and cloth. By the end of my adventuring, I end up with equivalent or more mounts of ore as leather. So I see your point, but smiths and light armor clothiers have the advantage with the surveys.

So, I do not see the advantage of taking the time to hunt down a survey location and are therefore not profitable to my playstyle choice.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eiron77 wrote: »
    AlexDougherty - I do like the idea of a special beast to kill, rather than animal carcasses. Maybe the survey could lead to the animal's lair that takes you to a solo instance--that way no one else can profit from your rich animal "node."

I suppose they could add a few more caves. Actually an instanced animal lair sounds like a good solution, could be fun too, thirty foot Skeever anyone.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, bring on the 30 foot skeever!
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    ... sounds like rats of a very unusual size ...

LOVE it
  • Horrum
    Horrum
    ✭✭✭
    I only get leather :/
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    R.O.U.S.'s? I don't believe they exist.

Horrum - what do you mean you only get leather? Have you had a clothier survey give you leather?
  • Elvinfire
    Elvinfire
    ✭✭
    I only got a clothier survey the first time I completed one. I haven't received one since. Thought THAT was a bit weird. Am I missing something? Also nothing at all for the blacksmithing writs. Maybe some ore spread around like the clothier surveys?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Eiron77 I've made a poll about this in General Discussion, but it's not getting the interest I hoped for.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done 7 in a row with no survey. WTF.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Random rewards are like random.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do understand the concept. If I can do 7 in a row without a survey drop then perhaps it's not working well.

I can actually write a bit of code that would simply up the chance for next time, each time the drop fails. It's that simple.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nine in a row.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I do understand the concept. If I can do 7 in a row without a survey drop then perhaps it's not working well.

I can actually write a bit of code that would simply up the chance for next time, each time the drop fails. It's that simple.

I know and I can sympathise, especially as you can code.

But all I was just saying is that it's all random, you could do twenty in a row and not get a survey, or you could get it each time twenty times in a row (extreme odds but it happens).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The poll for this idea (in general Discussion) seems to run it's course, clothing-writs-lets-get-surveys-that-offer-beasts-for-the-leather, the results were 90% for, 10% against.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    The poll for this idea (in general Discussion) seems to run it's course, clothing-writs-lets-get-surveys-that-offer-beasts-for-the-leather, the results were 90% for, 10% against.

Good idea man and thanks!
  • gespensen1
    gespensen1
    Soul Shriven
    There should be leather survey period. There are surveys for every other craft except for medium armor. This is just another example of how the developers just don't think through their ideas.