The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Writs needs tweaking.

krollerupb16_ESO
Today my Blacksmith and Woodworking writs both cost me over +100 materials, the same for yesterday, and the rewards have not been worth it at all. Blacksmithing gave me 1 Bloodstone. Yesterday I did get a special harvesting site for woodworking but it has not at all been able to cover my needs for today.

On the other hand, my provisioning writ has been nice and easy. 1 foot and one drink. And since I got provisioning maxed, I get a surplus of 3 every time. And in return I've gotten some decent materials.

I think a bit of balancing might be in place?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main point is the crafting experience, not the rewards.

But it would help if there was more parity between crafting costs and rewards.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Vendrath
    Vendrath
    ✭✭✭
    Provisioning may be worth it. Both of my rewards have included pepper which is selling for a ridiculous amount these days.
    Options
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    I know why it's expensive, those drop Nirncrux. Seriously the surveys if they end up in upper Craglorn have a good chance to drop several of the 11k gold mats.
    Options
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with writs, some of the fault falls on me for having my crafter maxed while still only at v2 so I can't solo much of Craglorn but it is still stupidly expensive. I don't mind that sometimes the rewards won't be amazing, but there needs to be a bit more of gradient, as you can make more from selling the mats straight up or selling what you make with that stack for more.

The leveling system will be great I think for newer players, but the incentives aren't really there for those of us who have been working on our crafts since launch.

One thing that could make writs worthwhile is if doing them after lvl 50 crafter granted you additional points into Mastery which could then give you access to some unique perks like requiring fewer materials in the crafting of something, or access to additional versions of the existing style motifs. With the addition of the dwemer pages it occurs to me that you could easily add in other styles and crafting writs could be the way to do it. I'm more than happy to invest the time and resources. With limited time to play working towards a guaranteed reward is preferable to a chance for a reward.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
    Options
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with writs, some of the fault falls on me for having my crafter maxed while still only at v2 so I can't solo much of Craglorn but it is still stupidly expensive. I don't mind that sometimes the rewards won't be amazing, but there needs to be a bit more of gradient, as you can make more from selling the mats straight up or selling what you make with that stack for more.

The leveling system will be great I think for newer players, but the incentives aren't really there for those of us who have been working on our crafts since launch.

One thing that could make writs worthwhile is if doing them after lvl 50 crafter granted you additional points into Mastery which could then give you access to some unique perks like requiring fewer materials in the crafting of something, or access to additional versions of the existing style motifs. With the addition of the dwemer pages it occurs to me that you could easily add in other styles and crafting writs could be the way to do it. I'm more than happy to invest the time and resources. With limited time to play working towards a guaranteed reward is preferable to a chance for a reward.

Why are you apologizing for advancing your character? I have several low level alts that are high level crafters so they can't complete these writs. It seems to me ZOS is saying play this way if not can't participate in this aspect.
    Options
  • merlinreeves
    merlinreeves
    Soul Shriven
    Treatment of low level alts seems a bit contradictory per the last update. On one hand they got some love with the changes to deconstructing items, as they now receive the mats back. On the other-hand the writs have penalised them by making them go to high level areas to turn them in or complete the survey reports and the rewards for max level crafting are unbalanced.

Provision reward made me chuckle yesterday, had to make 1 beef soup and 1 crystal clarity ... reward was green crystal clarity recipe and mats for making it... why give me a recipe the game knows I already have as I had to use it to for fill the quest?

Hopefully we'll see this patched soon(tm)
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vendrath wrote: »
    Provisioning may be worth it. Both of my rewards have included pepper which is selling for a ridiculous amount these days.
    Wait, how much is it selling for? I have a stack of this stuff, maybe I should get rid of it...
    Options
  • Vegaroth
    Vegaroth
    ✭✭✭
    Blacksmithing, woodworking and clothing are a complete waste of resources, who the hell on ZOS thinks than repair kits are a good reward? those are trash vendor stuff, u spend more materials than the rewards are worth (in gold or xp) and if you are already 50 at medium term even the chance of et the nirncrux is not worth the cost u could get from the used materials.

Alchemy (the few ones not bugged), provisioning and enchanting ask for 1 or 2 crafted items (3 to 4 raw materials)+ 1 to 3 raw material, while the other 3 ask for at least 1 full stack (100) of procesed materials than is around 1.5 to 2 stacks of raw materials.

I can understand than the rewards cannot be always the best, but the rate now is completely a real waste of resources. Replanteate the reward table for BS, ww and Cloth or reduce drastically the required items for the writ, make it worth.

For now ill start to just do the Alch., ench. and Prov. writs, ill complete leave aside the others, i preffer use those materials for create items with one char and deconstruct them with other, will give me more xp / materials rate than the waste of actual writs.
    Options
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    If your a Vet the Repair kit is useless..Why even bother having them drop at all.
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
    Options
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems reasonably clear that the writs are aimed at people developing the skill. If you're a vet with no provisioning who wants to develop it, it will actually be useful, to start, because, when getting the certification, they give you one of the early recipes, however I suspect that, afterwards, you'll only receive leveled recipes in the rewards.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
    Options
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems reasonably clear that the writs are aimed at people developing the skill. If you're a vet with no provisioning who wants to develop it, it will actually be useful, to start, because, when getting the certification, they give you one of the early recipes, however I suspect that, afterwards, you'll only receive leveled recipes in the rewards.

Not exactly. I have one character that is max and no problem there. Another character that is not quite max and is getting writs for recipes that are not owned (and couldn't find) and the other one that I did have required mats that were lower level and since they apparently changed how the looting of provisioning mats work..I can't farm those level mats anymore because I'm too high level! The writ required level 10 mats..my character is v9 and my alt is lvl 3 so is too low.

What was the intended plan for people working on provisioning that are beyond (or below) the level of the zone needed to farm mats? Are we expected to level an alt to 10 or 20 or 30 for every writ if we don't *happen* to have an alt in the appropriate level range for the particular writ? /boggle
    Options
  • Siliconhobbit_ESO
    Siliconhobbit_ESO
    ✭✭✭

What use is the crafting experience to those of us who have already reached level 50 in the profession we are completing the writ for?
    Sinister Swarm
    15 Years of Gaming Excellence
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a distinct mismatch between clothing/blacksmith/woodwork and provisioning/alchemy/enchanting because of the amounts of raw materials.

I've only had access to the writs for three days (I had the crashing update problem) and I've done 15 (thanks, ZOS, I got the nirnroot alchemy writ which doesn't recognize the nirnroot I have and which I can't drop). I've received armour repair kits (rubbish), low level glyphs (rubbish), for one writ I received a solitary diamond, for another I received a single sardonix. For some of the armour writs I've received a piece of cheap armour (why pay for armour with armour?).

Survey reports? What are they - never seen one.

I'd give up, it really isn't worth it in terms of the mats I use and the rewards I get (3x flame, ice and lightning staffs for an armour repair kit?), but there's always the love/hate relationship with the random number generator - the next one "might" be the big one!!

And as long as there's one lucky person saying "Oh yes, had three survey reports, cleaned up with 15 nirncrux" people will still believe, even if they only get one rubbish item. :\
    Options
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as long as there's one lucky person saying "Oh yes, had three survey reports, cleaned up with 15 nirncrux" people will still believe, even if they only get one rubbish item. :\
    After nearly a dozen surveys I am nearly convinced, all this talking about nirncrux is just a hoax. I never found anything but wood and ore which got me frustrated more and more... such a waste of time.
    Options
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xx6y07T.png

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan...

(I've never gotten a blacksmithing survey, and never found a nirncrux. Life is unfair.)
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What use is the crafting experience to those of us who have already reached level 50 in the profession we are completing the writ for?

None, once you hit level 50 in a crafting skill, stop.

You won't get the experience, because you've maxed it, and the rewards are rubbish. The crafting writs are supposed to be a fun way to help you max out your crafting.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on November 7, 2014 11:05AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Grileenor wrote: »
    After nearly a dozen surveys I am nearly convinced, all this talking about nirncrux is just a hoax. I never found anything but wood and ore which got me frustrated more and more... such a waste of time.

The nirncrux only drop from the craglorn surveys. Every BS survey gives a mix of 5 nirncrux. The wood and cloth surveys will drop nirncrux, but its a total rng on those. I had stopped running wood and cloth on all but two characters who are still levelling from the mid 40s. Got a single nirncrux out of a wood survey today.

To I killed vivec. I have run the bs writs in craglorn on 4 characters since they came out. Have had around a 20-30 percent survey map drop rate when opening the boxes. Haven't had a day yet when I haven't gotten at least 1 map out of the 4 chances. Best was 3 of 4. Your rng may vary.
    Options
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »

Not exactly. I have one character that is max and no problem there. Another character that is not quite max and is getting writs for recipes that are not owned (and couldn't find) and the other one that I did have required mats that were lower level and since they apparently changed how the looting of provisioning mats work..I can't farm those level mats anymore because I'm too high level! The writ required level 10 mats..my character is v9 and my alt is lvl 3 so is too low.

What was the intended plan for people working on provisioning that are beyond (or below) the level of the zone needed to farm mats? Are we expected to level an alt to 10 or 20 or 30 for every writ if we don't *happen* to have an alt in the appropriate level range for the particular writ? /boggle

All of my characters have L50 Provisioning but I kept the recipe level to match the character level except where I deliberately spent a point to be able to make L20/L25 recipes for getting to L50.

I'll see what the provisioning writs require on the L10 characters with L20/L25 skills. It is possible that they might do special locations where they force leveled food mats, but it is also possible they might not. They should actually consider doing so until they actually follow through on their projected Provisioning changes.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
    Options
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

All of my characters have L50 Provisioning but I kept the recipe level to match the character level except where I deliberately spent a point to be able to make L20/L25 recipes for getting to L50.

I'll see what the provisioning writs require on the L10 characters with L20/L25 skills. It is possible that they might do special locations where they force leveled food mats, but it is also possible they might not. They should actually consider doing so until they actually follow through on their projected Provisioning changes.

Options
  • Zherran
    Zherran
    Soul Shriven
    It would be nice if the reward you received for finishing a writ had a small chance of receiving a motif or maybe something that you can only get by finishing a writ like a 8 hour potion or some sort of buff etc..
    Options
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning is completely worth it, even when you hit cap.

I have received Pingus (63g each at a grocer), a purple recipe that one of my alts didn't have and various other items that I am able to put into my guild bank for other members to use for their own writs and leveling.

For those of you maxed and who have points that result in 3 or 4 items each time you craft, be aware that you do NOT have to craft the items yourself.

I craft the items on one alt, then drop the left overs into the bank. My alt who is also capped gets the same writ. Pull the items out of the bank, turn in for goodies.

The other 2 remaining from the 4 crafted stay in the bank. Chances are, you will get the same writ again, or at least have to turn in one of the same items. So you can either sit on them if you have bank space, or for me, I drop the other 2 into my main/social/co-owned guild for anyone else who may get the same writ.

Options
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »
    Provisioning is completely worth it, even when you hit cap.

I have received Pingus (63g each at a grocer), a purple recipe that one of my alts didn't have and various other items that I am able to put into my guild bank for other members to use for their own writs and leveling.

For those of you maxed and who have points that result in 3 or 4 items each time you craft, be aware that you do NOT have to craft the items yourself.

I craft the items on one alt, then drop the left overs into the bank. My alt who is also capped gets the same writ. Pull the items out of the bank, turn in for goodies.

The other 2 remaining from the 4 crafted stay in the bank. Chances are, you will get the same writ again, or at least have to turn in one of the same items. So you can either sit on them if you have bank space, or for me, I drop the other 2 into my main/social/co-owned guild for anyone else who may get the same writ.

That's all great and everything but how are you farming/acquiring mats for lower level recipes that the writs are asking for? My provisioning is maxed (though I only have improvement to level 3) but the writs are for lower level recipes (maybe it's tied to your recipe improvement level I don't know).

In any event, the materials required for these lower level recipes don't seem possible to acquire with a V9 character and I'm not finding them in my guild stores. Also, travelling around to every trader in every zone to find mats to complete writs every day is not what I consider fun or worth the trouble. I want to complete these writs but this can't be what is intended for daily crafting quests.
    Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all great and everything but how are you farming/acquiring mats for lower level recipes that the writs are asking for? My provisioning is maxed (though I only have improvement to level 3) but the writs are for lower level recipes (maybe it's tied to your recipe improvement level I don't know).
    It is, I am L50 in all trade skills and I had to add skill points back into it to get max level writ again (which makes sense)

Options
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    It is, I am L50 in all trade skills and I had to add skill points back into it to get max level writ again (which makes sense)

uhg. So I have to waste skill points just for writs? Lame. :(

*edit*
    So which skills affect this? Just recipe improvement or does recipe quality also impact the types of recipes you receive as a reward? Do those also affect the hireling mats as well?
    Edited by EQBallzz on November 11, 2014 2:20AM
    Options