The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

AOE Skills

Chas07
Chas07
Hello:
I am a new player in EOS.
I have built a DPS character based on a player guide I found online. (DK) I am a two handed battle axe, level 50, VR4. I have all two handed active and passive skills unlocked. I also have Ardent Flame Class active and passive skills unlocked. I have three ultimate skills unlocked. Standard of Might4, Dragon Leap 4, Corrosive Armor 4.
My passives are:
Draconic: Iron Skin2, Burning Heart 2, Scaled Armor 1
Earthen Heart: 1. Eternal Mountain 2, Battle Roar 2, Mountain Blessing 2
Ardent Flame: All passives maximum.

This seems to be a good build to me, but I am not doing well in dungeons. The two handed battle axe is very powerful, but wind up seems to be very slow. I have created a new battle axe using a 5 trait station, which has a 10% increase weapon speed buff.
Suggestions on this build would be greatly appreciated. I am a level 39 Enchant, level 50 Blacksmith, and level 39 cook.
My friends suggest I need to use more AOE attacks. I do not know what that is. Can someone explain this to me?
My second skill is Dual Wield with axes, which is level 50. Hopefully using the information that I have supplied someone can help me improve my playing skills.
Dungeons are difficult, and I have been avoiding them. This seems to be the wrong thing to do. I have noticed that the rewards are much greater when grouping in a dungeon.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Chas07
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: 1.5 is bringing in some changes to the 2H Skill line, so you may want to log on to the PTS (it will require a download if you do not have it already) and try the new stuff out before you change out that weapon.

Area of Effect. When the Skill Tooltip says Enemies rather than Target, then it means you are affecting more than one mob in the radius of the skill.

DKs don't have a lot of Built in AoE, other than Inhale and Sea of Flames.

For AoE, the best weapon is a Destruction Staff. However, I took my DK all the way to the VR Ranks (with 1 Hand/Shield) before I even gave him a second weapon to use. And that second weapon was a Destro Staff. This is also an excellent ranged weapon as both your weapon choices are for up close and personal. I think having a Ranged and Close in choice is better.

Which leads me to my next point. As you have discovered the 2 Handed Weapons are slow. To slow even with their higher damage. But, you also don't need to hold down your heavy attack (left click) for the entire animation to get a heavy attack. Not sure exactly how long you do need to, as I gave up on a 2H weapon along time ago. But, I use a 1-2 count and release and get a Heavy Attack. This is known as Animation Canceling in case you were wondering. You can also do this by winding up the heavy attack, then use a skill from your skill bar before the animation is done. It take some practice to get the timing down.

However you may find that a 1H/S is a better weapon to use on the DK. Its all mine used until VR Ranks before I added the Staff. You can respecc your skill points if you want to change up your skills. They build up rather quickly if your fighting mobs near your level, so it won't take long to grind the new skill up.
    Edited by Nestor on October 29, 2014 4:10PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other comment, I have determined that as an Ultimate, Dragon Leap is really for PvP. It's use in PvE battles does not come up that much for me. Then again, I tend to use Ultimates for Bosses and with regular mobs I use the 5 skill rotations.
    Edited by Nestor on October 29, 2014 10:53PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"