The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ZOS why is it you continue to Nerf the Nightblade Skills

Palidon
Palidon
✭✭✭✭✭
This is from the PTS update 5 and I quote:

Combat & Gameplay
General

Reduced the amount of bonus damage provided by stealthed attacks against other player characters.
Note that stealthed attacks are still always critical strikes that stun your target.

Again the Nightblades take a hit for no reason. Then everyone wonders why we are so underpowered in PvP. If you want to nerf something nerf the DK skill line. Give us Nightblades a break. It is well known the the DK class is way overpowered in PvP yet you leave them alone. I have never seen anything like this. ZOS you must really have it out for the Nightblade skill line or you just want to completely destroy that class and push an already growing number of players out of your game. Well you just pushed another player out. If I cannot play a Nightblade then I do not need to play your game.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rage might be a little overblown.

This is another case where a scalpel would be more usefull than a broadsword.

Do this with bow sneak attacks and this would be a valid and needed fix.

ZOS needs to go into a little finer detail with these things.

Melee crits should be left alone, at least until they make stealth and cloak functional. While this is not a nerf only to nightblades it hits us hardest, seems a poor time to nerf anything for nightblades. Maybe they could pretend stealth crit is a DK or Sorc thing, and then they'll protect it like the Queen's knickers.

Somewhat Related:

1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first time they seem to have gotten the message that they can fix things in PVP without screwing over PVE players? Can I have my Night's Silence Set back, pretty please?!

2) I thought loading up Impenetrable trait pretty much cancelled any PVP crits anyway, combined with rampant shield stacking and zerging. Is this a real issue?
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, last time I checked, all classes can sneak and sneak attack. Tis not a nerf to NBs, it's a nerf to stealth (and bow - they're nerfing Snipe damage a little) gank playstyle.

I'm not worried about my Stam-based bow+1h\s NB, since he does great in skirmishes, 1v1s and ambushes. Post-nerf the enemy will merely have a little more HP left on them after the initial snipe combo.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stealth nerfs are NB nerfs... Just like fire damage nerfs are DK nerfs, burst heals nerfs are Templar nerfs, ranged spell nerfs are sorc nerfs.

All because a mechanic is not exclusive doesn't mean that it benefits each class equally.

I guarantee, if they came out and said "all fire damage agaisnt players will be reduced" that the DK community would cry a river.

Even though everyone can use fire staves a glyphs and derp derp derp.
    "Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealth nerfs are NB nerfs... Just like fire damage nerfs are DK nerfs, burst heals nerfs are Templar nerfs, ranged spell nerfs are sorc nerfs.

All because a mechanic is not exclusive doesn't mean that it benefits each class equally.

I guarantee, if they came out and said "all fire damage agaisnt players will be reduced" that the DK community would cry a river.

I totally agree with your comment. I have yet to see unless I have missed something any changes to the DK Class skill lines. I seems changes are always focused towards the stealth type character builds that rely on surprise attacks.
    ZOS has already nerfed the bow and will most likely nerf it again due to the crying of players in PvP. Most recently they nerfed Haste and Rapid Strikes which prior gave a NB some nice sustained DPS output. (Note: It was really important to do that when there are so many other important issues still not fixed or even been addressed). Shadow, Assassin and Syphioning abilities have been messed up for some time and it just continues. I have gone up against several DK in PvP and could not even put a dent in them so who has the advantage? It surely is not the stealth based characters especially if they use a DW/Bow combo for that combo is totally useless and is getting ready to get even worse.
    Well I am tired of the raw deal ZOS has given the NB class. My subscription expires in Nov and I am not renewing.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭

Not quite as much as you seem to believe. The DK parallel is simply a strawman, because sneak attack damage does not define the NB, nor does it constitute the core of its damage-dealing system. As a playstyle, yes. As a class, no.

I do a lot of sneak attacking on my bow Sorc and mage DK. In fact, Camo hunter+Sorc buffs result in equal to greater sneak attack bow damage as the camo hunter-using NB (to be fair, my NB is Imperial and my Sorc is Bosmer with the sneak attack damage bonus, and I find myself using Mark less and less because you can't get a good Snipe drop on'em if they're aware that they're about to get murdered).

And I'm pretty sure the changes refer to sneak attacks - as if actually *sneak* attacks, and not attacks made from cloak, which is mostly irrelevant, since anyone with a vague idea of what's going on will be holding block if the NB tries to use cloak offensively, rendering this tactic a waste of mana.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still_Mind wrote: »

Not quite as much as you seem to believe. The DK parallel is simply a strawman, because sneak attack damage does not define the NB, nor does it constitute the core of its damage-dealing system. As a playstyle, yes. As a class, no.

I do a lot of sneak attacking on my bow Sorc and mage DK. In fact, Camo hunter+Sorc buffs result in equal to greater sneak attack bow damage as the camo hunter-using NB (to be fair, my NB is Imperial and my Sorc is Bosmer with the sneak attack damage bonus, and I find myself using Mark less and less because you can't get a good Snipe drop on'em if they're aware that they're about to get murdered).

And I'm pretty sure the changes refer to sneak attacks - as if actually *sneak* attacks, and not attacks made from cloak, which is mostly irrelevant, since anyone with a vague idea of what's going on will be holding block if the NB tries to use cloak offensively, rendering this tactic a waste of mana.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Fire damage doesnt define the DK class either, you guys have none fire skills. Its only a play style that would be effected.

Burst heals dont define the Templars cause hell, they have all those spear moves.

Ranged spells dont define sorc either... they can summon monsters.

yep... oh these are just PLAYSTYLES, so any nerfs in any of those areas would affect everyone EQUALLY!?!?! FOH.

I appreciate you giving a valid argument... However, the NB is the ONLY class with passives and abilities that are SPECIFICALLY for attacks from stealth or invisibility. So, a nerf to stealth attacks adversely affects THE AVERAGE NB... MORE than the AVERAGE... anything else.

Caps arent for rage, theyre for emphasis. people have this great habit of missing the point.
    "Shadow hide you"

• Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I should add, I don't even use snipe. if they said "hey, ranged sneak attacks do less damage" I would be fine with that. That would be consistent with TES. However, I'm not happy about taking a hit to my sneak attack damage cause people dont defend themselves properly in PVP
    "Shadow hide you"

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Reduced the amount of bonus damage provided by stealthed attacks against other player characters.
    Note that stealthed attacks are still always critical strikes that stun your target.
    Oh, and I should add, I don't even use snipe. if they said "hey, ranged sneak attacks do less damage" I would be fine with that. That would be consistent with TES. However, I'm not happy about taking a hit to my sneak attack damage cause people dont defend themselves properly in PVP

Please note in the quoted patch notes that they only refer to "stealthed attacks against other player characters". From the text monsters and NPCs will still receive the full wrath of your attack.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Please note in the quoted patch notes that they only refer to "stealthed attacks against other player characters". From the text monsters and NPCs will still receive the full wrath of your attack.
    Thank you, I am very aware of this.
    "Shadow hide you"

• Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Fire damage doesnt define the DK class either, you guys have none fire skills. Its only a play style that would be effected.

Burst heals dont define the Templars cause hell, they have all those spear moves.

yep... oh these are just PLAYSTYLES, so any nerfs in any of those areas would affect everyone EQUALLY!?!?! FOH.

I appreciate you giving a valid argument... However, the NB is the ONLY class with passives and abilities that are SPECIFICALLY for attacks from stealth or invisibility. So, a nerf to stealth attacks adversely affects THE AVERAGE NB... MORE than the AVERAGE... anything else.

Caps arent for rage, theyre for emphasis. people have this great habit of missing the point.
    Sneak damage is being nerfed not because they hate NBs. Sneak damage is being nerfed because sneak damage is getting out of hand. DKs and Sorcs, with the right build, can do as much, if not more, sneak attack damage as the NB. Hate DKs so much, well, there's the DK nerf for ya.

Fire damage doesn't define DKs. Switch element type and all they lose is the "burn" aftereffect, and people will still cry about them (like their Smelly Breath skill will reduce healing, because it causes a Disease damage aftereffectprocs from passives). It's Blood+Talons+Scales+"Ulti 3-effect potion"+ezmode light armour\set mana management that people hate so much.

Sorcs aren't defined by a whole lot of ranged spells, too. What pisses people off most in PvP is shield stacking (still good post-nerf), streak Ulti-farming, AoE\bat spam, if they're vampires. Spell synergies, not spells themselves.

Etc, etc.

The NB is defined by its tactical options, which, admittedly, need stronger capitalization on behalf of the devs. Sneak attack damage, by far, is the least of my concerns for the NB class. NB stealth damage doesn't stick out so much on the grand background of the class because it's so strong for the NB class. It's because other aspects of this class, defining and secondary, need work.

You're right on one account, though, NBs have stealth-specific talents. Exactly 2 passives and 1 active. More than any other class, not quite as much as to define a class with a stealth combat style. That said, only *one* of those skills affects sneak attack damage. The rest is utility that is entirely parallel to this nerf. It's like 1 talent point of the build (Master Assassin is a 2-component passive, and it has 2 points) is vaguely affected by the sneak attack damage nerf. That's the extent of how "much" more the NB is getting nerfed, compared to other classes by the sneak attack damage nerf.

And hey, you still have the highest sneak attack damage modifier than any other class.

Granted, maybe my NB playstyle doesn't revolve around stealth damage (mainly use stealth Snipe-combo kills as a cheap gank strategy and for thinning out multiple enemies) and that's why I don't give a flying, floating, gliding or otherwise levitating duck about tiny sneak attack nerfs, while people with glass cannon stealth gank builds may feel otherwise.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭

Sneak damage is being nerfed not because they hate NBs. Sneak damage is being nerfed because sneak damage is getting out of hand. DKs and Sorcs, with the right build, can do as much, if not more, sneak attack damage as the NB. Hate DKs so much, well, there's the DK nerf for ya.

Fire damage doesn't define DKs. Switch element type and all they lose is the "burn" aftereffect, and people will still cry about them (like their Smelly Breath skill will reduce healing, because it causes a Disease damage aftereffectprocs from passives). It's Blood+Talons+Scales+"Ulti 3-effect potion"+ezmode light armour\set mana management that people hate so much.

Sorcs aren't defined by a whole lot of ranged spells, too. What pisses people off most in PvP is shield stacking (still good post-nerf), streak Ulti-farming, AoE\bat spam, if they're vampires. Spell synergies, not spells themselves.

Etc, etc.

The NB is defined by its tactical options, which, admittedly, need stronger capitalization on behalf of the devs. Sneak attack damage, by far, is the least of my concerns for the NB class. NB stealth damage doesn't stick out so much on the grand background of the class because it's so strong for the NB class. It's because other aspects of this class, defining and secondary, need work.

You're right on one account, though, NBs have stealth-specific talents. Exactly 2 passives and 1 active. More than any other class, not quite as much as to define a class with a stealth combat style. That said, only *one* of those skills affects sneak attack damage. The rest is utility that is entirely parallel to this nerf. It's like 1 talent point of the build (Master Assassin is a 2-component passive, and it has 2 points) is vaguely affected by the sneak attack damage nerf. That's the extent of how "much" more the NB is getting nerfed, compared to other classes by the sneak attack damage nerf.

And hey, you still have the highest sneak attack damage modifier than any other class.

Granted, maybe my NB playstyle doesn't revolve around stealth damage (mainly use stealth Snipe-combo kills as a cheap gank strategy and for thinning out multiple enemies) and that's why I don't give a flying, floating, gliding or otherwise levitating duck about tiny sneak attack nerfs, while people with glass cannon stealth gank builds may feel otherwise.

Wow, nice effort. Kudos... Solid rebuttal.

I guess I am coming off as a ganker who wants to one shot for 4k, thats not what I want. I'm just upset that my playstyle of using the stealthy skills is even taking a -1 because...

1). Min-maxers are gonna be min-maxers.
    2). Some people dont defend themselves at all times.

I just think it could have been done with out using such a broad stroke. Just reduce the sneak attack damage from bows... No one could argue with that, its consistent the entire TES series.

But once again... (Claps hands). :smile:
    Edited by Jacques Berge on October 21, 2014 12:47PM
    "Shadow hide you"

• Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭

Etc, etc.

Wow, nice effort. Kudos... Solid rebuttal.

I guess I am coming off as a ganker who wants to one shot for 4k, thats not what I want. I'm just upset that my playstyle of using the stealthy skills is even taking a -1 because...

1). Min-maxers are gonna be min-maxers.
    2). Some people dont defend themselves at all times.

I just think it could have been done with out using such a broad stroke. Just reduce the sneak attack damage from bows... No one could argue with that, its consistent the entire TES series.

But once again... (Claps hands). :smile:
    Well, my Bosmer bow sorc is pretty much all about bow ganks, so she's pretty much taking a double nerf in 1.5, with Snipe and sneak damage nerf. Gonna have to adjust strategy, too.

I, in all honesty, don't think that you'll feel much worse off in 1.5. Gonna try 2-handed ganking on my NB, thanks to Uppercut getting buffed. Full run speed stealth+2hander=awesome. I also like the Death Stroke change. Cloak is getting some fixes, too.

But I'm pretty sure you're on to something, with differentiating sneak attack damage from melee and ranged weapons. Bow may need to be an in-combat heavy-hitter, but stealth attacks with it are pretty damn hilarious, and lower % bonus damage may as well be the solution that we need. Not really sure how it sits with the devs with their coding, but that's an elegant, TES-y solution, indeed.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end when people keep using a pretty much insta kill combo that explodes other players , it tends to get nerfed eventually lols.

But hey it is easier to point at the DKs and pretend this isnt an issue :P. Oh better yet , lets complain about vampires cause i mean they are probably at fault for something.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • quetzatli
    quetzatli
    ✭✭✭
    oneother NB nerf and a big one it sound the end of the NB in RvR in teso then i dont continu to pay to play my bugged-nerfed caracter.
    at the begining NB in RvR was fun to play now it's boring and useless in RvR vs other class if you play in médium armor... bye bye.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dumb question - what other mechanic works differently between PvP and PvE?

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB's are just now on par with DK's, OPlars and Sorcs and now that a few DK's are dying by the hands of NB's so it makes sense that the DK-luvin team at Zeni would nerf NB's.

NB's are supposed to be stealthy, and you nerf there main skill by HEAPS! /shakes head

I've re-rolled a Sorc btw, may as well. My favorite play style has been nerfed and it feels like ZOS don't want me to play a stamina bow build at all.

Off topic, you mentioned nights silence.

Night's silence was great in PvE for skyshard hunting. I could pop a invis pot or use cloak, and sneak around a dungeon and get to the skyshard quickly and easily, grab my shard and off to the next one. Loved that, it stopped skyshard hunting being the time sink that it is.

Makes sense that ZOS would want to stop people quickly getting achievements completed in PvE. And, in PvP the care bears and cry babies went nuts about nights silence, which really was stupid in hindsight. No one ever died from nights silence, they just found it hard to find the person wearing the gear.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• quetzatli
    quetzatli
    ✭✭✭

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Again the Nightblades take a hit for no reason. Then everyone wonders why we are so underpowered in PvP. If you want to nerf something nerf the DK skill line. Give us Nightblades a break. It is well known the the DK class is way overpowered in PvP yet you leave them alone. I have never seen anything like this. ZOS you must really have it out for the Nightblade skill line or you just want to completely destroy that class and push an already growing number of players out of your game. Well you just pushed another player out. If I cannot play a Nightblade then I do not need to play your game.

i'm agree; i stop the game.
  • dassneakereb17_ESO
    dassneakereb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    cancelled my sub 5 days ago, gj ZOS <3
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree Op genuine face palm at the ridiculous logic ZOS has used in nerfing sneak. If the problem is with snipe and only snipe. Do something with that skill not blanket nerf everything.

My calculations show - Snipe = 15% reduction from sneak
    - Ambush = 35% reduction from sneak.

Conclusion = Wtf?
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »
    Agree Op genuine face palm at the ridiculous logic ZOS has used in nerfing sneak. If the problem is with snipe and only snipe. Do something with that skill not blanket nerf everything.

Conclusion = Wtf?

Your calculations don't include the increased damage from using Death Stroke which equals higher damage for Ambush builds.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭

Conclusion = Wtf?

Your calculations don't include the increased damage from using Death Stroke which equals higher damage for Ambush builds.

Hahahah they're not even his f**king calculations... Those are numbers I posted in another forum... Minus the 15% bow stealth lose... Which is false, bow attacks have the same sneak modifier as before the patch.

That said... Yes, death stroke was more or less buffed to be more consistent... Simply allows you to get a nigh 2k crit on a guy while spending 50 ultimate... You use killers blade and bam... You have almost if not exactly 50 ultimate once more... It's kind of nutty... I feel the damage buff on ambush may get reduced... It did, and still can produce some pretty sickening results when coupled with soul harvest.
    Edited by Jacques Berge on November 6, 2014 10:09AM
    "Shadow hide you"

• Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I've never been ganked in cyrodiil with bow. May be as I have 3.3k hp, radiant maglite and I'm not vampire.
    The most common victims of bow ganking were min\max builders with about 2-2.5k hp in light or medium, usually vampires.
    They choose such play style and it should be their problems how to survive snipe.
    Not min-max builders can survive stealth bow attacks easily, and certainly bow gankers can do nothing to tanky DK or Templars builds.
    But ZOS is nerfing not blocking nor shield stacking, they are nerfing ALL stealth attacks. Ridiculous!
    Edited by Stannum on November 6, 2014 1:29PM
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are my calculations you troglodyte - Not hard to down load the mod is it.

Death stroke buff is irrelevant! I understand you can now ambush and death stroke but Death Stroke sucks it drains all your ultimate fomr your second bar! You shouldn't have to use all your ultimate to kill one guy you are ganking! I Don't remember the last time a sorc that needed to negate me or templar who nova'd me or a dk who dropped a standard on me when they ganked me from stealth! Your logic is insane!
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are my calculations you troglodyte - Not hard to down load the mod is it.

Death stroke buff is irrelevant! I understand you can now ambush and death stroke but Death Stroke sucks it drains all your ultimate fomr your second bar! You shouldn't have to use all your ultimate to kill one guy you are ganking! I Don't remember the last time a sorc that needed to negate me or templar who nova'd me or a dk who dropped a standard on me when they ganked me from stealth! Your logic is insane!

What mod? I actually did tests and recorded data... yeah... well... I've put no effort into a ganking build... I run a fairly sustainable toon who hits like a champ and doesnt have a glass jaw... what are you saving your ultimate for? your birthday or something? I know there are plenty of noobs who'll sit in a veil of blades... and death stroke can hardly be considered an ultimate... other than it kills the poo out of people, I prefer to kill quickly and disappear... I dont know why you're even getting ganked... sounds like you're not paying attention to your surroundings or not sneaking good enough... thats hardly the snipers fault.

Ambush + death stroke + killers blade is way more fun than snipe snipe snipe snipe lawlz... and see... the great thing about using soul harvest to kill a guy is it gives you the ultimate back if you get em with killers blade...

oh and... "drains your ultimate from your second bar!" hahaha good one, made laugh.... death stroke is bad ass... even more so now... 1.4k damage instantly, debuffs healing, increases damage taken by player... all for 50 ultimate... sounds good to me.
    Edited by Jacques Berge on November 6, 2014 3:29PM
    "Shadow hide you"

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not getting ganked! thats my point i had a cool build and I didnt want ambushed nerfed for no reason!

Why would i waste all my ultimate on 1 guy when I can use bats and sap essence and waste lots at the same time or solo a resource
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not getting ganked! thats my point i had a cool build and I didnt want ambushed nerfed for no reason!

Why would i waste all my ultimate on 1 guy when I can use bats and sap essence and waste lots at the same time or solo a resource

Uhhh cause that's lame as heck... Hahaha you want to super gank AND solo groups... Hahahahahaha... Gosh, I wonder if you realize other people play this game ahaha
    "Shadow hide you"

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I want to the same as DK's and Sorc's can is that too much to ask ?
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Refreshing Path dot sill kicks me out of stealth. We don't get a lot in the way of decent class AoE's and none of our abilities should prevent another one from working. There is no way to cancel Refreshing Path so I basically have to choose between that or Invisibility.
    :trollin:
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes... Hahaha I'm not sure I've ever seen a sorc or DK who could, without swapping out any gear... Both gank a guy from stealth then take on 6 other players... But if you say have then ok... I'm going to sleep... I'm not saying you're wrong... Just saying I haven't seen it and am highly skeptical.
    "Shadow hide you"

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    You dont know me at all then xd